Awoo.

Is it ok to like sonic?

Baraksha

I have a similar problem to you, just not necessarily sonic, but honestly? You could think Sonic Boom rise of Lyric is the best game in the entire franchise and honestly I wouldn't care. Yea I'm telling you that an opinion like that, which would be in the EXTREME minority, is still a totally okay opinion to have. If that's okay, then yea it's okay for you to still love this series, I know I do. 

GUYS! if i never listened to why other people thought sonic sucked...I never would have known why I REALLY like sonic, I never would have learned so much about the series and about life in general! Stop acting like its okay to do whatever the freak you want, cause its not! Just because you don't see a negative effect doesn't mean there isn't one! Life isn't a game! Its so much more than that!

Don't ever let anyone else tell you what to like or how to feel.

Enjoy the things that you enjoy, and don't ever be ashamed for that. Being true to yourself will make a bigger difference in your life than you may realize! :)

It is okay to like Sonic. Just like it's okay to prefer the gospel choir soundtrack to Disney's Hercules over Jonathan Williams' work on Star Wars, or to enjoy rainy days as much as sunny days, or to even exist in the first place. It's okay to feel, have an opinion or think anything, as long as it's what you really believe. Unless you start hurting others or yourself as a direct cause of what you believe, think and feel, don't you dare doubt whatever truth lies inside you.

If there's anything truly destructible about the whole 'hating Sonic' thing that's been going on lately, it's making folks like you wonder if you're doing the right thing. Making you get all self-conscious about whether or not you like a fucking video game.

Fuck every dimwit in the peanut gallery for that. Fuck every whiny, predictable internet blog that heralds the death of Sonic and why he should die, fuck every git that takes online videos as the gospel truth who jumps on the series despite not playing it in donkey's years, and fuck every miserable sod that reposts the same ol' SANIC DOOM memes over and over again if the only effect they've had is make others feel worse about themselves.

There's a tendency for society to shame anyone who's even slightly different from the norm, and there's enough of that going around as is. So, yes. It is perfectly okay to like Sonic, never feel ashamed about that. And about those that hate the series? Let them; it's their opinions, which are perfectly okay for everyone to have, no matter what. It's only when those opinions are used to drive shitty causes or as excuses to act horrible towards people who're different that it's not okay.

Also, consider this: the general public, though I like to think otherwise, can demonstrate a scale of stupidity that makes Mike Judge's Idiocracy seem plausible. Ignore them, and they'll eventually change their mind. After all, we all used to think the Earth was flat, and that changed someday.

Don't let stupid shitheads get you down, mate. It's okay to like Sonic. Now go do that, and have a great day! :)

-Apollo Chungus

Of course it's okay to like Sonic. It's okay to like any franchise. No matter how horrible people think it is, how poorly received it is, it's your opinions and nobody has a right to change them. 

And for you seeing hate for Sonic on the internet, that doesn't mean shit. It's just some dudes sitting behind computer monitors who you don't know and probably never will know. You got to learn not to take shit you hear online too seriously.  

There is hate for EVERYTHING on the internet. And you are going to get shit for saying or liking anything that another person doesn't like. You could have the most non-offensive response, or reply and try to be as nice as possible and you will have people cussing you out, and telling you you are an idiot and stuff.(Not here on SSMB of course, because we are respectable people. XD)

I'm just trying to say that you should say your a Sonic fan and enjoy it. Because you are going to hate from people no matter what. As long as you are on the internet, it's inevitable. It's always okay to have different opinions from other people. Just beware of the ones who think their opinion is more important than yours. 

I have a similar problem to you, just not necessarily sonic, but honestly? You could think Sonic Boom rise of Lyric is the best game in the entire franchise and honestly I wouldn't care. Yea I'm telling you that an opinion like that, which would be in the EXTREME minority, is still a totally okay opinion to have. If that's okay, then yea it's okay for you to still love this series, I know I do. 

GUYS! if i never listened to why other people thought sonic sucked...I never would have known why I REALLY like sonic, I never would have learned so much about the series and about life in general! Stop acting like its okay to do whatever the freak you want, cause its not! Just because you don't see a negative effect doesn't mean there isn't one! Life isn't a game! Its so much more than that!

First off, you need to understand that there is hate for everything out there. Even the most-loved franchises in the world have their detractors. And yes, they are entitled to their opinion. But that doesn't mean they need to influence yours. You like what you like and don't let anyone else's negative opinions stop you. If you like Sonic, good for you! There's nothing at all wrong with liking the series. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 5 weeks later...

guys, I think what he's trying to say is "Is likeing sonic the "right" thing to do?" or "Is sonic bad and am I too stupid to realize it?" While I do belive in "the one and only truth" I feel way too often people are trying to be "objective" to such an extreme level, why? because they "want to be right" and they "want to be smart"! This isn't to discredit the people who actually use smart reasoning whether for or against the franchise, what's most important really is that you just be honest with your self, "Do you really like it, or are you just pretending?" "Why do you like it?" but most importantly "Why does it even matter?"

...No seriously, its just a video game! Don't try to make a big deal about it when it isn't one! You will regret it! These feelings you feel are much more real and valuble when they are felt towards another person, someone else with another soul! I would know all this from experience, aside from spending 4 years trying to find the true appeal of sonic, what I learned afterward, in real life, was much more valuble! I actually chatted with 5 other sonic fans on a twitch chat very recently, trying to defend 2006, and I must say...It's a much different story than seeing all this "SONIC IS DEAD" comments on youtube, and having BS nonsence arguments with strangers! They didn't agree with me (of course) but it didn't matter! What mattered was that we were taliking to each other and listening and were able to actually understand each other very well, heck we ended up just laughing it off and it ending up bieng a returning gag later on! You'd never see that happen on text! (at least I would assume...its possible!)

So what did I decide to do about it? Well everytime I bump into someone who says BS about Sonic or seems misgiuded about it, I just show them this:

P.S. Click on the "youtube" option to see the full playlist! (sonic 2, cd, 3&k reviews as well!)

hopefully you found this advice to be good! I would love it if you gave me feedback or asked me questions about anything really! (i'm a pretty open person, you couldn't get too private with me if you tried...figuratively speaking!)

thank you very much, what you said is true, "Do you really like it", "are you just pretending?" "Why do you like it?" ,"Why does it even matter?" those are the questions that were in my head, I then realized that I do love sonic because I had lots of great memories playing his games and enjoying them, I even replayed sonic adventure recently and I had a blast, it's just that seeing all this people not thinking the same as me made me feel different, as if I shouldn't forgive this game because it's not normal to like sonic, that a normal person would not support sonic, but after looking at all the responses in this thread and yours, I realize that sonic is awesome, and there is not shame in being a fan or even put him as your top favorite video game, people may look and say that it's stupid, but that's just how I like it and I like it for reasons which reminds me, thanks for showing me this video, it really does reminds me why I love sonic the hedgehog so much, and what he means to me, also what he said about those sonic games I don't feel like it only towards the classics, that's how I feel about almost every sonic game in general, I feel that way towards sonic adventure 1/2, I feel that way towards sonic heroes, unleashed (day stages), colors, generations hack even sonic 06 had some levels I liked to play (but defiantly not all of them) because there is nothing I like more then coming back to a sonic game and try to become better at it and learn more about it and try to beat it faster then before, I just wish to see more people like that or at least more positively towards him, because I can't believe hating sonic is a trend now, like if you like sonic the hedgehog , people would look down on you and say the most stupidest shit like "shit taste" or what not, and I think I just realized something, I was worried and felt bad from the hate towards sonic, but not because I was estimating my love to sonic, but because I was afraid of sonic's future, with sonic hatred becoming a trend, i'm afraid sonic boom may not only ruined the reputation and every future sales in it's own universe, but that poor sales will probably leak to the normal sonic universe as well because i'm afraid the sonic hate trend reached super high levels lately , I mean people hated sonic before but this?!, every single corner of the internet will tell you sonic is dead and you should not support it ever, things  may starting to look better with sega admitting their betrayal of fans and the hype for the 25th anniversary, but while that sounds ridicules I believe even a good sonic game won't help, i'm afraid the level of sonic hatred has reached a level where even if the game will be super good, people will hate it because it's sonic and will try to look for every reason possible to hate it and then spread those reasons everywhere to make the game look as bad as sonic 06, and so even that game wont sell, then again I may just exagurate, but seriously do we still have hope or am I really just a part of a sinking ship?

• Thumbs Up 1

"Is it okay to like Sonic?" he asks on the Sonic forum, lol.

But real talk though, don't let anyone give you shit for what you enjoy. As long as you don't shove it into other peoples' faces like other people do with Sonic hate it's completely fine to personally like anything. Anyone who says otherwise is, plain and simple, a close-minded asshole. Don't let people get you down for your pleasures.

I've asked myself the same in the past, and I even kind of hid it from most people I know because I thought I had to be ashamed that I still liked Sonic, but in the end we like what we like, and as long as we aren't harming anyone in the process it's fine. So it's definitely okay to like Sonic.

Heck, the ending of SA2, and Chaos' story from SA still make me cry, and I'm meant to be an adult! So, I like to borrow a quote from C.S Lewis;

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” 

• Thumbs Up 2

I see so much hate for sonic around the internet that im starting to feel ashamed to be a sonic fan, I keep telling myself to ignore it, but it's just everywhere, what if there is a reason everyone hates sonic, are we wrong for liking sonic?

Is it ok that sonic is my primery frenchise?

Of course there's a reason so many people hate Sonic. Sonic's been pumping out shitty games one after the other for years. Of course you should be ashamed of this franchise; Sega doesn't know what they're even doing anymore.

Sure, it's OK to still like the franchise if you want, but to deny the series' problems would just be delusional. As for Sonic being your primary franchise, whatever floats your boat, but most people would agree there's so much better to choose from.

Of course there's a reason so many people hate Sonic. Sonic's been pumping out shitty games one after the other for years. Of course you should be ashamed of this franchise; Sega doesn't know what they're even doing anymore.

Sure, it's OK to still like the franchise if you want, but to deny the series' problems would just be delusional. As for Sonic being your primary franchise, whatever floats your boat, but most people would agree there's so much better to choose from.

i don't denny that there are problems and I accapt that, but those problems always seemed to be minor for me, while I agree those are things that I would like to be fixed I can't help but to simply ignore them and enjoy the game any ways, sure I know that there are many franchises out there that seem to do better today way more then sonic, but sonic for me is always my main thing, there are things about him that I just can't get tired of that I can't put under any one else

I take it you're the ambassador for most people?

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly, I'm starting to think the only people who think it's ok to like Sonic... already like Sonic. Everyone else just looks at you funny, at best.

With that in mind, I'm not sure if it is anymore. In an ideal world, I could say "yes", but this just isn't one.

Honestly, I'm starting to think the only people who think it's ok to like Sonic... already like Sonic. Everyone else just looks at you funny, at best.

With that in mind, I'm not sure if it is anymore. In an ideal world, I could say "yes", but this just isn't one.

Not always though, when my school friends found out that I like Sonic reactions go from "idc" to "well that's cool I guess" (but then again they're the kind of people who only reads Instagram/Ask.fm/Snapchat their entire lives, take me with a pound of salt).

hmm. I think it depends where you live. In my country, liking Sonic is one of the taboo. Most people say "Sonic is rotten corpse like megaman"

hmm. I think it depends where you live. In my country, liking Sonic is one of the taboo. Most people say "Sonic is rotten corpse like megaman"

I'll come to your country and start a civil war if that's true.

Actually I live in israel and in here sonic is mostly known for he's tv shows, I even met some people who didn't believe me when I told them that sonic has video games, but overall people respact me for it, through I did met a few assholes that though that it's a baby tv show

Edited by Baraksha

Liking Sonic is the same way I like other legendary games, like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Pac-Man, etc. But I am not sure why people make games featuring "All Seeing Eye", especially some Sonic games. It's a strange "trend" that I should not believe to, like in my country. I am just believing and praying to God.

Is it ok to like Sonic The Hedgehog? Of course! Nothing wrong with that at all! Everybody enjoys/likes different things. I myself am proud to be a Sonicfan I love it! Never be ashamed of what you like. Be proud and passionate of what you like. And also never let anyone tell you otherwise. ;) 

"Is it okay to like Sonic?" he asks on the Sonic forum, lol.

But real talk though, don't let anyone give you shit for what you enjoy. As long as you don't shove it into other peoples' faces like other people do with Sonic hate it's completely fine to personally like anything. Anyone who says otherwise is, plain and simple, a close-minded asshole. Don't let people get you down for your pleasures.

As an experiment, I decided to make a really similar thread on Doomworld :

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/everything-else/74365-is-it-okay-to-like-sonic/

There are occasions when I feel silly about things I like, or wonder if they're actually that good to begin with. Sometimes it's good to remember that it's perfectly fine to like things which have substantial flaws, or which just aren't always executed that well. It can help to have concrete reasons for why you like something, while acknowledging that others have legitimate reasons to not like them. Another thing to keep in mind is to make sure you're not too obsessed with the things you're fond of. But if you're not fixated on it to an excessive degree, and you acknowledge that your opinion on it isn't the "one true opinion", there's no reason to be ashamed of liking something like Sonic - especially since, for all of its flaws, there are still perfectly legitimate reasons to be fond of it. The Genesis games are still fantastic, in my opinion, and even the games that clearly have more problems usually still have some legitimately good traits. Plus, I personally love the character designs and the characters in general, as well as all the interesting alternate universes created by the various adaptations. If someone disagrees with that and just doesn't enjoy Sonic games, that's perfectly okay. We're all entitled to our own opinion as long as we're reasonable about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, the fact that there are people out there, that are actually questioning if it's even OK to like the series any more is pretty damn alarming in my opinion.

Edited by shdowhunt60

I'll come to your country and start a civil war if that's true.

Start civil war on South korea?! Anyways, on topic : I think Liking Sonic is like Liking typical minor culture.

Well, i'm already done with this post, but you can keep on going if you want to, maybe someone who asks himself the same quistion will come in here

Anyways, the replica thread i made in Doomworld has been filled up, and it seems that in Doomworld most people thought that the Sonic fanbase consist of furries, and that Sonic Boom was somehow related to the main games :

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/everything-else/74365-is-it-okay-to-like-sonic/

Sorry. One last chance to post here.

Call of Duty? Why do people hate it so much? It was sold better than Battlefield & Tom Clancy's. And apparently, people hate legendary games for resolution?

Edited by GreninJovan
Spelling corrections

Sorry. One last chance to post here.

Call of Duty? Why does people hate it so much? It was sold better than Battlefield & Tom Clancy's. And apparently, people hate legendary games for resolution?

Why ?

And Call of Duty is pretty much the Internet's biggest source of memes.