Awoo.

The Big Topic of South Park. Latest News: South Park Seasons 1-4 getting remade into HD

Ryannumber1gamer

Yeah, so I thought I should make a thread about this since there's South Park fans on SSMB, and there's been news that the first four seasons of South Park would be getting remastered into HD.

I was watching South Park on Comedy Central when a ad came on during the break, where they announced the first four seasons will be getting remastered in widescreen, with higher quality animation, and visuals, looking around the quality of current seasons to be honest.

So what are your thoughts on the first four seasons getting remastered?

• Thumbs Up 4

It's funny, didn't they actually bash this sort of practice in "Free Hat"? Now they actually ARE remaking Cartman Gets An Anal Probe to look 'better'. I'll be on the look out for AT-ST Walkers and high budget spaceships. :P

• Thumbs Up 4

It's funny, didn't they actually bash this sort of practice in "Free Hat"? Now they actually ARE remaking Cartman Gets An Anal Probe to look 'better'. I'll be on the look out for AT-ST Walkers and high budget spaceships. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

And just now, an advertisement has came up about them. Looking at the teaser it seems they're at least trying to keep it as identical looking as possible to the original (you can tell because the first handful of episodes have a noticeably different look to them).

Speaking of which, they are airing on Comedy Central UK next week at 10pm.

I'm not really sure how to feel about that. The crude animation is one of the things that made the early seasons so great imo, so I think it's kinda unnecessary. But I'll look out of curiosity of course.

Hah, another commercial, and it uses Free Hat footage to poke fun. Okay I'll take it back. XD

Still no actual clips of Cartman Gets An Anal Probe, wonder how they'll HD the hand crafted footage from it and An Elephant Makes Love To A Pig.

I can confirm the airing date and time.

It's airing on Comedy Central UK on Friday 11th July, at 10pm 

I'm honestly rather interested to see how some of the older episodes will look with updated animation. Granted, I honestly love how the original episodes looked and thought it was apart of their charm. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I love South Park so count me in on this. While the crude animation did give the earlier seasons their own unique identity and feel, I'm interested to see how the technological improvements will contribute to making them better. Also, can't argue with being able to watch them in HD.

Do we know if they're re-recording the scripts as well? All the voices have developed over the years, I'd like to hear them re-record if they're re-animating.

I checked my Sky box to set a recording for this, but what I didn't expect was that Comedy Central is airing the first 4 episodes of South Park's 1st remade season from 10PM to 12AM.

fuFxmA3.png

Do we have a YT mirror of the advert yet?

Do we know if they're re-recording the scripts as well? All the voices have developed over the years, I'd like to hear them re-record if they're re-animating.

The only issue with that is Chef. His voice actor left after the show took a jab at Scientology, so unless they find a really good stand in, they might have to just take Chef's original lines and enhance the audio quality. To be honest though, I think they should just do that for all characters.

The only issue with that is Chef. His voice actor left after the show took a jab at Scientology

And later died.

This is honestly something that I wish was somewhat more common practice for animation. Not necessarily South Park, per se; and perhaps not a general fucking around with things like Ghost in the Shell 2.0, but just a general upping of the production values to something cleaner and HD (especially with stuff like 90s anime which fell into the rut between the end of traditional animation and the beginning of computer animation, and looked visibly cheap as a result unless they threw tons of money at it).

• Thumbs Up 4

I agree with Tornado. In fact, I could see The Simpsons following suit with this, and honestly, I would be all for that. The animation in the earlier seasons hasn't really aged well, and seeing classic episodes with the great animation we have today would be great. 

It's going to be weird seeing Season 1 episodes of South Park with the new HD animation, but I'll give it a watch. It might not make much of a difference anyway except the Anal Probe one since that actually was made with stop motion.

Checked out the first batch of HD episodes.

Honestly they're not particularly impressive. They haven't made any changes to the actual animation, everything just looks a lot sharper than before.