Awoo.

Rayman Adventures (iOS, Android)

Junko

So uh, yeah. This is slightly disappointing, only slightly because admittedly the mobile games for Rayman are tons of fun and really well done. I would've rather had a proper game though you know? Doesn't have to be Anniversary-related but still something more interesting than just another runner-type game. Unless this is platforming?

And if it is then yuck. Platformers on mobile phones ssssuck.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold up.

Where's my Rayman game where the Mr. Dark Magician Cult, yes that's what I'm calling his team, resurrects the old Mr. Dark from the Land of the Livid Dead in the Volcanic Abyss he crawled off into in the GBC Rayman? 

What is this? This is not the game I was thinking would follow. I mean, I guess it's better than... 

CH0unJKUwAQ3DV8.png

But I gotta say, I'm a little let down. Where's that grandiose Rayman where Mr. Dark comes back and makes Rayman fight the legions of Jano, Robot Pirates, and Hoodlums? Where's my Rayman game where Ly comes back? Where the hell is my Rayman game where the cartoon characters even get a wink and a nod. Damn it, Ubisoft, it's been 20 years.  This is the most Capcom thing you could have given Rayman. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I reaaaaaally doubt that this game is being developed in lieu of a console title. For all we know there aren't any plans to make another Rayman game and someone at Ubisoft decided to use existing assets to make a SMB2-esque level pack for mobile because it's easy and better than having no game in the first place.

I know why people are upset that we're not getting a new game and Ubisoft is an extremely easy target among gamers, but Legends is literally lambasted for being more-of-the-same as Origins and isn't considered to be anywhere near as great. A new Rayman game announcement won't automatically fix everything, and a 3D Rayman is unlikely to happen due to the lack of popularity (and existence) of 3D platformers in today's age.

If you don't care about this mobile game then don't care about it. Compared to scenarios such as Rockman Xover and Sonic Runners, I think Rayman got it really good this time.

• 2 weeks later...

So the game's having a soft launch and... 

tumblr_nrstowRtNr1rjt42co2_1280.jpg

There's a stamina system inherit to the in game currency which is, of course, hard to grind for and purchasable. 

Welp, this is our 20th Anniversary Game. Thanks, Ubisoft

• Thumbs Up 6

A stamina system in a twitch-reflex platformer. Incredible. Like, you had one job not to fuck it up with timers like you did the last two installments, and you did it anyway. FFS, Ubisoft.

• Thumbs Up 5

... Again, I ask, who's going to spend $90 on a mobile game, much less something like this?

Someone has to be sinking money into these games if companies like EA, Rovio, and Ubisoft thinks its cool to litter even the pay for games with them. I, on the other hand, as a pretty damn devoted lifelong Rayman fan have had too much of the piss taken out of me this year. 

I'm done. I can't even spend money on a Rayman game in good conscious to at least throw Ubisoft something to let them know that Rayman is what I want more of. They'll just keep throwing me this garbage. All I asked was for one quality game and they throw out even more Tom Clancy and Ass. Creeds our way. Not even a Prince of Persia or BG&E 2. Thanks. I really appreciate that this is what we get for sticking around. 

Edited by LongcrierCat

That's ridiculous.

But on the other hand, I generally only play one or two stages of these types of games before putting it down and coming back later.

Then use an upfront charge model instead, like the last two Rayman titles.

I have no idea why you brought this up when no one was asking for or even expecting this to be free. On top of that, you're deliberately ignoring the purposeful sabotaging of the game's reflexive/no lives/learn-from-failure nature by putting in forced timers on the amount of times you can try a level that you'll have to pay to supplant. It's on par with the idea to make online matches in Rainbow 6 limited in the amount of times you can respawn. There is no discernible benefit to the player, and it's an obvious ploy to suck more money from people.

Praytell, why do gamers put up with this shit? Just because a company is entitled to make money doesn't mean they get to exercise that right free of consequence or ethical concerns.

• Thumbs Up 6

This is seriously insulting to Rayman. Because putting IAP inside of your paid games isn't enough. Because a nice, solid anniversary game is just way too much effort. Celebrating the 20th anniversary of a big video game mascot with nothing but a cheap, money grubbing mobile game is straight up offensive.

But hey, at least we get a full Assassin's Creed game. Every. Single. Year.

It's official then: Ubisoft is treating Rayman the same way Capcom is treating Megaman.

• Thumbs Up 2

You know what? Even though having a mobile game is quite disappointing for the 20th Anniversary, I was still willing to give Ubisoft the benefit of the doubt for what looked like a rather fun looking game.

Of course that all went out the window when I saw microtransactions. Ugh.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yes, Ubisoft. I'm going to pay $90 so I can play the game I already paid for.  I'm going to pay twice as much for a full, AAA-game just for a limited number of playthroughs of this game.  It's okay, guys.  Really.  I don't need to eat, bathe, or pay the phone bill or anything.

Seriously, I hate to be blunt, but fuck this system.  Like I defended mobile games in a previous post, and I still stand by it, but this is the kind of thing I absolutely hate.  There is literally nothing good about this format.  Just... uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.

Edited by Tara

Ubisoft. Fuck. Off. 

What a fucking disgrace, Not only is this a game that reuses assets from previous games, not only is this a sad excuse of a 20th anniversary game, NOT ONLY is this a complete and total fucking insult to Rayman, and now, they're shoving microtransaction bullshit into a paid game? Is Ubisoft deliberately trying to earn the hatred of gamers or something or are they just that fucking stupid?

Jesus Christ micros-transactions is a practice that needs to die especially if it's a game that you payed for. This my problem with mobile game and the sad thing about it is that this type of business practice works. If it's not the advertisements it's this

Jesus Christ micros-transactions is a practice that needs to die especially if it's a game that you payed for. This my problem with mobile game and the sad thing about it is that this type of business practice works. If it's not the advertisements it's this

I don't think the free-to-play system with microtransactions should die in particular. In practice, it's actually a really fucking fantastic idea that would invite players to play something for free, and then spend money for it's in-game purchases when they feel comfortable enough. My problem is, the way it's being done now is a fucking load of bullshit. Ubisoft isn't a company known for a few of it's titles handling this system well and quite frankly it's not a surprise. This isn't a disappointment that a Rayman game would go as low as this (Hey, you're talking to the guy that got into video games because of that guy), this is a disappointment that nobody will ever fucking make a consumer friendly model for the free-to-play system, not with how surprisingly well these sadistic markets and models are doing.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think the free-to-play system with microtransactions should die in particular. In practice, it's actually a really fucking fantastic idea that would invite players to play something for free, and then spend money for it's in-game purchases when they feel comfortable enough. My problem is, the way it's being done now is a fucking load of bullshit. Ubisoft isn't a company known for a few of it's titles handling this system well and quite frankly it's not a surprise. This isn't a disappointment that a Rayman game would go as low as this (Hey, you're talking to the guy that got into video games because of that guy), this is a disappointment that nobody will ever fucking make a consumer friendly model for the free-to-play system, not with how surprisingly well these sadistic markets and models are doing.

Paying for cosmetics and stuff in a free game is fine by me. Big titles like League of Legends have gotten by with free gameplay and adding in optional costs just to make yourself look different. It doesn't change the game itself and certainly doesn't make it pay-to-win, but people throw money into it anyways because they like the game. The mobile market has taken this and twisted it in an awful way where players end up having to eventually spend money if they want to get anywhere. Wait times and collecting objects start getting ridiculous and near impossible if you don't throw in cash, which is just plain dumb. It's even worse if you want people to pay for an app and expect them to pay for more stuff inside of that.

Paying for cosmetics and stuff in a free game is fine by me. Big titles like League of Legends have gotten by with free gameplay and adding in optional costs just to make yourself look different. It doesn't change the game itself and certainly doesn't make it pay-to-win, but people throw money into it anyways because they like the game. The mobile market has taken this and twisted it in an awful way where players end up having to eventually spend money if they want to get anywhere. Wait times and collecting objects start getting ridiculous and near impossible if you don't throw in cash, which is just plain dumb. It's even worse if you want people to pay for an app and expect them to pay for more stuff inside of that.

This specific kind of bullshit market is done to appeal only to those who have a shit ton of money and spend it as they please. They're titled whales, and it hurts games when the only people dropping in the revenue is a small base of people wasting too much money. You want that money, but you want to have money from a large group of people, not from a bunch of people with so much cash on their hand.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

So it finally released in the UK, and I tried it.

its basically Free 2 Play Jungle Run, only there's enemies, and you can turn left and right.

It's basically Origins 3 but with more condensed level sizes and varying types within that. There's three types of levels, exploration, lum collecting and enemy gauntlets.

Exploration levels are basically like Origins and stuff, you save Teensies and stuff for more points and gems. Lum collecting is exactly that. Enemy gauntlets are levels where you kill loads of enemies.

The game basically revolves around these creatures called Incrediballs and they provide various buffs to you thorough out the stage and thaat's cool. Also optional.

Where the F2P element comes in, afaik, is that much like Sonic Runners, you complete an "Adventure" (basically an Episode, like in Runners) and once you collect the MacGuffin at the end of the level (which is an egg containing an Incrediball) and... wait. Once it hatches, you can move onto the next level and of course it's on a timer. The first two I've seen were 10 minutes and the game (naturally, as a tutorial) speeds them up for me "free of charge".