Awoo.

SEGA CEO admits they betrayed fans' trust

antyep

I hope no one else posted this here or I'm gonna feel silly.

http://www.tssznews.com/2015/07/07/sega-ceo-satomi-admits-weve-lost-trust/

Yes it seems they admit they screwed up over the last ten years, something most companies don't ever do. While I am happy about this, but this wasn't because of the fans showing them the light .It was because of Atlus, their recent acquisition. Really think about that.

I've seen this a few days ago, and seen some people bring it up in other topics. I recently made a post with my thoughts, and since it's more relevant to this topic, I'll copy and paste it here.

As far as that public apology, I recall another PR guy, Webber, I believe, also talking about quality during the Lost World days. How the company will commit itself and stuff like that. Now, that part wasn't an apology, though he did mention that the company has screwed up in the past.

PR just being PR, really. Weightless. Considering the events that happened with Lost World to both Booms, I dunno how "nice" I can view it. Know the guys are just doing their job, but I feel like they get their orders from higher ups saying "mention this" which makes it look like lying -- higher ups are lying, I mean.

Of course, I can't say for sure. I never worked in PR.

I've seen this a few days ago, and seen some people bring it up in other topics. I recently made a post with my thoughts, and since it's more relevant to this topic, I'll copy and paste it here.

I have to say that while it is just meaningless PR unless they actually do something about it (I recall it also being done in response to the fallout from S4:E1, and before that in response to the tepid reception of Unleashed to puff up S4:E1, and there was also that goodwill silliness where they talked about removing games from distribution that didn't meet their personal quality standards), it is a bit different in this case simply because of the position of the person in question.

• Thumbs Up 1

I understand everyone's pessimism about this, but consider who's saying it, as I've mentioned in previous discussions on this.

We usually get statements about improved quality from developers or PR people who have little real power. Never mind of course they're not going to break down crying and clutch at your pants shouting "oh god please don't buy these games they suck!"

This is a billionaire who owns a giant chunk of the company as well as serves as its President and CEO. He DOES have power. And it sounds like he's finally concerning himself with SEGA's video game division because all these years later and it's still doing horribly.

Satomi's first concern is making money. I do think he's fully behind the idea that giving games more time for release will increase the money gained.

And it's no skin off his back, since the bulk of SEGA Sammy's money is not from video games. There's no real cost to waiting a little longer.

I think they said the same thing after Sonic 2006 and we also got another "apology" after Unleashed and yet we still got Boom and not just that but a rushed sequel right around the corner. Yeah, I'm done with this garbage company.

+

It is a bit different in this case simply because of the position of the person in question.

I guess you're right about that one. I guess my mind kinda dodged over the the part where it said "CEO", but until I see a game of quality (though my opinions of Sonic games tend to differ pretty heavily to some others) then it won't mean much to me.

But whatever game that comes out would have to have been in development during the time of Boom's release, probably even before Lost World. They'd have to have a different mindset of their games back then to now.

I think they said the same thing after Sonic 2006 and we also got another "apology" after Unleashed and yet we still got Boom and not just that but a rushed sequel right around the corner. Yeah, I'm done with this garbage company.

They gave an apology after Unleashed, WHY? That game was brilliant! 

• Thumbs Up 1

And again, was that Satomi?

I think Rise of Lyric is all the proof we need we can put the average PR or developer's statements in a furnace. At least that way the building will stay warm.

A CEO has actual legal power over the company. If he says you need to improve quality, you will do it or he'll fire you.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's if this CEO has actually said it to his employees and is himself simply not engaging in PR. CEOs lie and dress bad situations up too, especially in a business as rife with apathy, greed, and underhandedness as gaming. Until we see verifiable results of this newfound realization everyone else had a decade ago, then I don't see why anyone should give that much of a damn that he said it. We shouldn't be suckered into going through this song and dance of accepting an address or apology at face value only to have it blow up in our faces.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well, even if CEO word should have more weight than some regular pr-guy, it still has zero weight. Because this industry is full of people, who apologize to make themselves look good and after that does the sames mistake immediatelly. Triple-A industry just thinks we are stupid enough to not notice this trend. And as long as SEGA cares more about deadlines than quality those words are pointless, like most of things that heads of some other companies have said, because there is no dignity, only greed.

So no SEGA. I will not going to pre-order Sonic's 25th anniversary game just because you're claimed that lesson learned. I would so much like to believe that but this industry is far beyond that point.

And what he likely actually means: "I hope they've forgotten about the last time we apologized and then done nothing about it."

Case in point: They're still going to release Fire & Ice.  

... Or do they think of RoL as some black sheep and most everything else as acceptable?  The developers are essentially making this game that they don't even seem to get the appeal of, it seems as some point they just decide the game has to have this and that in it without that clear an idea of why, and they'd rather be making some other game.  They can make a game that works, but what's it like to play?

It had some production values and flashiness to it, in some ways it was a visual benchmark, but let's just say that game had issues when it came to actually playing it.  

I think there's more to it than that, though.  I don't think the sega of today would see much of a problem with it.  Based on those aforementioned production values, I think they were trying for a higher echelon of games with it, and when it didn't hit the way they wanted it to, tried to save face with the crowd that cared.  I don't think they actually care about that crowd now.  

This is a billionaire who owns a giant chunk of the company as well as serves as its President and CEO. He DOES have power. And it sounds like he's finally concerning himself with SEGA's video game division because all these years later and it's still doing horribly.

Satomi's first concern is making money. I do think he's fully behind the idea that giving games more time for release will increase the money gained.

And it's no skin off his back, since the bulk of SEGA Sammy's money is not from video games. There's no real cost to waiting a little longer.

Its actually the son, Haruki Satomi, who is CEO of the gaming division. Still rich, vice chairman of the entire holding corporation and all that, but yeah. He was in charge of mobiles and the digital releases on XBLA/PSN etc. before.

This is terrific. I'm glad that SEGA and its head have admitted to us and themselves that there is a problem, have said they're going to take the steps necessary in order to fix it

Now they just need to do it. Words are great and all, but without the actions to back them up, they only sound good.

I really like Unleashed but it has some glaring issues. Basically what Tornado said.

I have to say that while it is just meaningless PR unless they actually do something about it (I recall it also being done in response to the fallout from S4:E1, and before that in response to the tepid reception of Unleashed to puff up S4:E1, and there was also that goodwill silliness where they talked about removing games from distribution that didn't meet their personal quality standards), it is a bit different in this case simply because of the position of the person in question.

The fact that they hadn't been putting "serious consideration" into quality before now is frankly astounding and makes the statement feel like something out of p4rgaming.  I never expected Sega's CEO to personally confirm that they'd been rushing games out to meet schedules without caring if they were actually any good, and yet here it is, confirmation of what everyone guessed the last few years were really about.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think Q3 presentation will be interested. If Satomi's word was not just empty talk. I guess that presentation would be included some words like"improving quality to recover fan's trust" instead of "diminish package game business." I hope that Satomi's word is not empty talk...

Thing is. Nobody knows which set of fans they're talking about.

Also yeah. Believe this when I see it. On the one hand. Yay admit there's problems and improve quality...

On the other.

Sonic Runners the thread.

Technical and unbalanced mess.

• Thumbs Up 1

And what he likely actually means: "I hope they've forgotten about the last time we apologized and then done nothing about it."

Case in point: They're still going to release Fire & Ice.  

... Or do they think of RoL as some black sheep and most everything else as acceptable?  The developers are essentially making this game that they don't even seem to get the appeal of, it seems as some point they just decide the game has to have this and that in it without that clear an idea of why, and they'd rather be making some other game.  They can make a game that works, but what's it like to play?

It had some production values and flashiness to it, in some ways it was a visual benchmark, but let's just say that game had issues when it came to actually playing it.  

I think there's more to it than that, though.  I don't think the sega of today would see much of a problem with it.  Based on those aforementioned production values, I think they were trying for a higher echelon of games with it, and when it didn't hit the way they wanted it to, tried to save face with the crowd that cared.  I don't think they actually care about that crowd now.

Does Sega of Japan even has a hand on Boom ?

Even if it's the CEO of Sega himself saying this and not some PR bull, I still don't quite trust them. They really have to convince me that they aren't going to screw up again.

Well I guess we just have to wait and see what plans SEGA has for the future and the soonest we might see this is the Tokyo Game Show, where SEGA will have a big announcement or something like that. 

The 25th Anniversary as well will be something spectacular so in my perspective, there's no other way than going up from here on to be honest.

Its actually the son, Haruki Satomi, who is CEO of the gaming division. Still rich, vice chairman of the entire holding corporation and all that, but yeah. He was in charge of mobiles and the digital releases on XBLA/PSN etc. before.

Oh. Nepotism.

I can see why this company's gone downhill already.

Any other person who has overseen so many flops would have long been gone, unless he's new?

• Thumbs Up 1

Actions speak louder than words. With that said, they're REALLY gonna have to work hard to convince the public at large that they're gonna get their shit together.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bare in mind that they aren't just referring to Sonic, but other SEGA games as well such as the West being promised Phantasy Star Online 2 years ago and we still haven't gotten it, Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transform having some rather poor character choices for the PC version + the consoles never getting them, Several games never coming over here for unexplained reasons like 7th Dragon, Valkyria Chronicles 3, Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity, various SEGA AGES remastered games never coming here, and some of their other titles released during the 10 year period also weren't up to snuff.

One can also argue that it was because they were milking Sonic so much as well, that folks were just getting tired of it, which I can understand Japan Sega fans being angry about that since sonic isn't popular their.

Talk is pretty cheap at this point through, if their gonna do another Sonic, or Valkyria Chronicles, Golden Axe, NiGHTS, Phantasy Star, Virtua Fighter, Sakura Wars, Shining Force, WHATEVER, they better give their 100% on them. Otherwise the whole "Sonic is Dead" Internet blabber will become legit.

Ive said this before and I'll say this again. These are just words to me you can say "yeah we messed up" but actions speak louder than words.