Awoo.

SEGA CEO admits they betrayed fans' trust

antyep

Yeah, Sega is in dilemma due to Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom Rol and Sc was failed, and most gamers says "Sonic is dead", "Sonic is in another dark age" etc... It seems that Sega should stop develop Sonic Boom series however, as folks know, TV show isn't failed and they planned bunch of merchandise, and they invested Too Much money to Sonic Boom. However, If they still develop Sonic Boom things, they violates CEO's interview. Plus, Sonic Boom is blamed because of Sonic Boom itself (character design, concept etc...) So. It's almost impossible to make quality Sonic Boom games. Consequently, I think that Sega really get in trouble about Sonic Boom. Whatever they choice, result won't be good.

And a great big thank you for completely missing the point I was making. The point isn't so much that they should quietly bury Boom so much as they can't do it immediately - they banked hard on it being a success and started several projects on them near-simultaneously, and by the time Lyric came out they were already committed to their release. You can't just scrap a game that's already fully functional and well on its way to release. Not only does it completely waste the resources that went into making it by giving no returns, it damages consumer and investor trust just as much as releasing the game completely broken does.

Game development literally does not accomodate completely scrapping games willy nilly just because some people on the internet get a bit pissy about it, so let's stop pretending we're somehow entitled to decide when a videogame doesn't deserve to see the light of day at all, especially when it's one that isn't even as bad as Lyric was.

• Thumbs Up 3

I know that Sonic Boom development started before haruki became a CEO. However, he can stop the development and unless Fire and Ice has been planned since Sonic Boom development is started, It's possible that they could stop F&I Furthermore, I didn't claimed that F&I development should be stopped. I just said that Sonic Boom F&I is one of the reason that haruki's word is just trash-talk .

But the game isn't out yet, and you don't have a reason to believe it's going to be anything worse than average, which is an improvement if anything.

Emergency Edit, I apologize for you All (please change trash-talk to empty-talk) I apologize for you.. seriously, T.T 

It doesn't matter if you used the wrong word, it's still means something wrong.

By the way, who is omote.

I don't know, who's Shaddy?

Edited by Shaddy

And a great big thank you for completely missing the point I was making. The point isn't so much that they should quietly bury Boom so much as they can't do it immediately - they banked hard on it being a success and started several projects on them near-simultaneously, and by the time Lyric came out they were already committed to their release. You can't just scrap a game that's already fully functional and well on its way to release. Not only does it completely waste the resources that went into making it by giving no returns, it damages consumer and investor trust just as much as releasing the game completely broken does.

Game development literally does not accomodate completely scrapping games willy nilly just because some people on the internet get a bit pissy about it, so let's stop pretending we're somehow entitled to decide when a videogame doesn't deserve to see the light of day at all, especially when it's one that isn't even as bad as Lyric was.

So. Your point is stopping develop requires a lot of time, stopping development damages consumers and investors trust as they released just bad game and the game development can't be cancelled by bad reputation on internet. Is it correct?

So it looks like there's been further emphasis on this whole thing.

Seeing our fans across the world respond to our recent interview with Famitsu, lets us know we’ve made the right first step in acknowledging who we are and where we want to be. SEGA is dedicated to bringing you quality gaming experiences and becoming a brand you love and trust again.

http://www.tssznews.com/2015/07/22/sega-games-ceo-satomi-sega-dedicated-to-becoming-brand-you-love-trust-again/

They do seem to be putting a fair bit of focus on this new-found initiative. Hopefully they've got the plan needed to justify it. TGS should be interesting.

Edited by LiamTheAnimator
  • Thumbs Up 2

So it looks like there's been further emphasis on this whole thing.

http://www.tssznews.com/2015/07/22/sega-games-ceo-satomi-sega-dedicated-to-becoming-brand-you-love-trust-again/

They do seem to be putting a fair bit of focus on this new-found initiative. Hopefully they've got the plan needed to justify it. TGS should be interesting.

I do hope that it won't be empty-talk...

I do hope that it won't be empty-talk...

It better not. Unless they still want to be a laughing stock for the rest of eternity.

Knowing now that it was a brand new CEO at Sega who made this comment, I'm a bit more open to give them one last chance.

As for Fire & Ice, if it does mediocre sales like the game before it, then I don't see why they would even continue making Boom games unless they're show licensed.

Knowing now that it was a brand new CEO at Sega who made this comment, I'm a bit more open to give them one last chance.

As for Fire & Ice, if it does mediocre sales like the game before it, then I don't see why they would even continue making Boom games unless they're show licensed.

"Because it's a licensed game based of a tv show and targeted towards kids" which kinda shoots themselves in the foot since the whole point of the sonic boom brand was to get new comers into the series and get the older fans who stopped caring about sonic back into the franchise.

Keep in mind that I have no idea about any of this, but according to this, Haruki Satomi has been the director of Sega of America since 2012. Wouldn't that mean he had a part in Boom since its beginning?

Keep in mind that I have no idea about any of this, but according to this, Haruki Satomi has been the director of Sega of America since 2012. Wouldn't that mean he had a part in Boom since its beginning?

Possibly. There's a lot about this guy that we really don't know. I mean, I'm sure that most people here just found out that he even existed. Good find, though. It'd be really interesting to see if and where his involvement in everything involving Sonic in the past 3 years.

Just as much as he could have approved Boom, Taxman has said he was an important part in getting CD/1/2 Remastered going during Haruki's time there, so I wouldn't chalk Boom related feats as indicative of how he does things. 

I don't really see the point in saying "the last game sucked, so the next game can't be good and shouldn't be released."

By that logic, we shouldn't have any of the Sonic games released since 2006 or Shadow the Hedgehog, depending on who you ask.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 3 weeks later...

SEGA, Just make a new game with high quality, like this, and I forgive you for everything.

Edited by Mecha X
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...

For one thing, I know this topic is dead but after delaying Fire and Ice to 2016, do you think that maybe they really meant this? Maybe SEGA's finally owning up to everything.

I'm pretty sure things are going to get better for the series, would be unlikely since nobody can really truly trust SEGA anymore but who knows, the future is full of surprises.

For one thing, I know this topic is dead but after delaying Fire and Ice to 2016, do you think that maybe they really meant this? Maybe SEGA's finally owning up to everything.

Possibly. A more cynical take might be that Sega realizes that after the huge development disaster that was spotlighted on the original Boom long before it was released, they can't really afford to rush the sequel; but even then they at least learned something and it's still a net gain.

Also, Aaron specifically stated in the article that they would consider the delay of not just F&I, but every Sonic game going forward, to be an important decision should the need arise; that way, we can have a better, more enjoyable time playing them.

This could be a good thing for Sonic, and perhaps a sign of his return to relevancy (for the video game industry in general, i.e. people not part of the fandom, because let's face it-- those of us that have stuck around are still passionate about the franchise). And since Sonic is practically one of the few things keeping them afloat, I doubt they'd lie about cleaning up their act.

They seem to know all the damage they've done to their most famous brand and to themselves. And they're making an effort to fix it.

I'm just fine with that if it means a better future-- for them, for Sonic, and for us, their loyal fans.

• Thumbs Up 2

But the question is; do they even know how to fix it? Because if that bible was made recently, I kinda am skeptical.

Oh go here to see what I'm talking about

http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/19847-segas-secret-sonic-bible-that-well-probably-never-see-to-mars/

Edited by antyep

But the question is; do they even know how to fix it? Because if that bible was made recently, I kinda am skeptical.

Oh go here to see what I'm talking about

http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/19847-segas-secret-sonic-bible-that-well-probably-never-see-to-mars/

I don't think Sanzaru even knows that the Sonic Bible exists.

I think Sanzaru doesn't even know that the Sonic Bible exists, and so doesn't BigRedButton.

I just fixed your post for you, dude.

Edited by AshGreninJovan
Spelling correction

That's less a problem with these third parties knowing what they're doing and more a problem with Sega providing a appaling lack of oversight over most of the Boom initiative. Which still would have been an issue with or without the Sonic bible anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

That compounded by the problem with BigRedButton actually keeping itself together as a group...

I hope no one else posted this here or I'm gonna feel silly.

http://www.tssznews.com/2015/07/07/sega-ceo-satomi-admits-weve-lost-trust/

Yes it seems they admit they screwed up over the last ten years, something most companies don't ever do. While I am happy about this, but this wasn't because of the fans showing them the light .It was because of Atlus, their recent acquisition. Really think about that.

They acquired ATLUS?!

*fangirls over the idea of a Sonic/Etrian Odyssey crossover*