Awoo.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has passed away

Carbo

I suppose to note, since people on my Twitter were asking, I figured I post it here. Takeda and Miyamoto are acting representative directors.

As a result, the following two Representative Directors remain at the company.

Genyo Takeda (Representative Director; Senior Managing Director)

Shigeru Miyamoto (Representative Director; Senior Managing Director)

Edited by Athena Cykes

This is not the news I wanted to hear today. My condolences to Nintendo and Iwata's family. He had a charming personality and was a great representative for Nintendo of Japan. The transition period where they find a new president and such will certainly be interesting, as some good changes may come to Nintendo, but... I didn't want it to happen like this. 

Peace, Iwata-san. Thanks for being a great leader and a great game designer, and just being so gosh-darn friendly. 

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 1

I honestly have no words other than this is beyond depressing... Rest in peace Mr. Iwata... :(

I suppose to note, since people on my Twitter were asking, I figured I post it here. Takeda and Miyamoto are acting representative directors.

Miyamoto I know, but who is Takeda? what's his notable works? or is he not a game designer?

> Let me demonstrate a strange power before I go. I realized this power as a child.
> PSI Farewell! Now!
> I'll see you all again someday!

I've sorta calmed down now...sorta.

I'm just so upset because it means we'll never seen him again at the start of Nintendo Directs, we will never see "directly to you" and he will never see the completion and release of the NX next year. So, so sad. My thoughts and condolences to his family and everyone at Nintendo. It must be so tough for them right now, shocking and heartbreaking to lose such an inspiring and wonderful man. Whoever replaces Iwata-san, I hope they do a great job.

Barely pulled into my drive way from our trip to San Diego and wife told me. Was hoping it was some kind of mean prank but no ... wonder why they didn't say anything at the Nintendo lounge if it happened yesterday? *sigh* thank you for everything you've done for not only Nintendo but gaming as a whole.. as the industry is facing tougher times you were always there to greet us at the beginning of events and so forth with a smile and a nod.. 

So... the Nintendo Direct was the last thing he was in and so many people just over blew it with hatred. The last thing Iwata gave us and people spat on it in disgust and demanded he apologized after that discovered the apology twitter was a fake.

It makes me wonder how all those people are feeling right now at the fact they basically showed hatred toward Iwata before he died.

RIP Iwata

• Thumbs Up 8

I think it's safe to say that if Mario Maker ends up being dedicated in Iwata's memory, I will cry.

• Thumbs Up 7

Pretty much all of Facebook has been consumed with sadness at his passing. It's everywhere on my News Feed.

I think that's a testament to just how many people's lives he changed during his tenure. It's obvious he was much more than just an executive and put a face on the company.

This was unexpected. Still, really sad news. Iwata is a genius, and one could tell he really cared for Nintendo. 

This is such a big shock, totally unexpected. I mean, I knew he'd been unwell, but I didn't expect him to just... die.

I really liked how hands-on the man was, compared to his counterparts in other large companies. No matter what was going on, you could always count on him to put in an appearance, show up in a Direct video, something like that. He got a lot of stick from people, but he lead Nintendo to interesting places, and sometimes that brought it success. I can't imagine where the company will go once an official successor has been named, but I hope it'll go where he would have.

R.I.P., the industry and E3 will never be the same. :(

I’m reading this, I can’t fucking believe I’m reading this. this is just...I don’t know I’m stunned.

He didn’t seem that bad. my god. I need time to process this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hunh, he produced, wrote and directed both Star Tropics games, produced a good chunk of other games up to N64, though he's mostly a hardware guy and was a main guy behind both the back-up batteries in NES cartridges and the wii. Seems to be a good choice for interim at least alongside Miyamoto

My mouth dropped like a bomb once I opened up my laptop. This is one of these things you'll least expect...he's only 55! Goes to show you the life you have is so valuable...

But he left us with Mario Maker, so we can make our own dreams come true like he once did...

And he gave us memories. Thank you so much Iwata, rest in peace. =(

Iwata wouldn't want us to feel sad for so long, he'll want us to play the games we love. So play your Wii U, 3DS, Wii, hell NES, SNES, GBC whatever; play in his memory but with a smile.