Awoo.

This is what Sonic looks like in Unreal 4

Badnik Mechanic

This is a fan made project... on mobile so excuse the basic op but the video pretty much speaks for itself. 

Sonic running in Unreal 4 In a sorta open world environment.

• Thumbs Up 5

The same guy did other things with the Kite demo such as placing Mario in it.

Yeah this...really does nothing for me. It's not how Sonic should play, it's not how Sonic should look.

Also what's with the permanent snarl?

• Thumbs Up 2

I am now reminded of how poor the Brawl model was for Sonic, especially in comparison to Smash 4's. But yeah, this doesn't looke very good. Sonic sticks out like a sore thumb, not only because of the art style, but because the model itself doesn't actually look as though it's a part of the environment. I think the best way I can put it is; it's as though somebody photoshopped Sonic in there. 

What bothers me most about this is the ugly ass Sonic model. Why that horrific snarl and why does it look like the equally bad Brawl model? Just ew.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow... This just looks lazy. The physics look horrible, there's no acceleration, deceleration, and gravity is almost nonexistent. Not to mention that the Brawl model and textures are really unflattering. I mean I get why they did it, Brawl used more realistic textures for the characters so that guys like Snake and Twilight Princess Link wouldn't look so out of place, but something like the Black Knight model would have looked nicer and it may very well have fit better with the world since it was also made for use in more drab and photo realistic environments.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be fair to the guy, I don't think this is supposed to represent a final product, so complaining about physics and acceleration and all that is kinda pointless.

As a visual piece though, it's probably the closest we're gonna get to imagining what the Sonic movie could look like if they're going with live-action environments...

It's not the sort of thing I want to see in a game, this style has been tried before and it just doesn't work. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The overqll look of course is no good, but to the thing's credit there is something exciting about thinking about Sonic in such a wide open environment... Even if functionally it's damned hard to think about how it'd work in a game.

In any case, why does Sonic look so pissed off? 

• Thumbs Up 1

The no-acceleration instant-top-speed makes it kind of hard to watch, and his constantly-snarling expression is just laughable.

And since no one has mentioned this yet, I really don't like the way the spin attack looks. It doesn't actually look like he's curling up like a, you know, hedgehog.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well I'm going to have to agree with the rest of the posts in this topic... the sonic looks horrible, but with some work and a new voice actor, it could look much better :D

Chris took the words out of my mouth.  The best way I describe it is simply "unfinished."  Every time he jumped, I would be reminded of those speed sections in Sonic '06, where you were forced to jump, but there was not only a delay, but controlling your trajectory was nigh impossible.  I think I'm having war flashbacks just thinking about it.

Hopefully, they will patch it up to make something... well, better.  As stated, it's not meant to represent a final product, probably.  And yeah, the Sonic model is pretty unappealing.  Not the worst I've ever seen, mind you, but still pretty bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

Angry?

I found this kind of interesting even if it's not very good as it is. It would be interesting a Sonic environment constructed in the engine. (and some physics.)

Edited by Amomynous
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Sonic model is still a little dark and there's still a noticeable lack of full acceleration.  It also looks a little weird to control.  Still seems to have a lot of the same problems.

The complaints seem kind of pointless right now if i'm honest, its pretty much just a tech demo and i'm pretty sure the guy who made this only made it just to test the waters with how it'd play.

The Sonic model is still a little dark and there's still a noticeable lack of full acceleration.  It also looks a little weird to control.  Still seems to have a lot of the same problems.

Yup, but colors have been fixed already on the last version on the channel. It is actually very easy to control, but it doenst have momentum implemented yet because it is on test. But we been doing it just since april, so it not so bad.

The complaints seem kind of pointless right now if i'm honest, its pretty much just a tech demo and i'm pretty sure the guy who made this only made it just to test the waters with how it'd play.

That's why criticisms should be voiced now.  The point of revealing a tech demo is to see what you can do with a full game released around it, not so you can see what it's like after complete restructuring.  Basically, if you showed me a Sonic demo and it played like Sonic Unleashed Wii, but said that after ironing out the kinks, it could play like SA1 (minus SA1's bugs and all that), then I'd rather you wait until you iron out all those kinks before you make that kind of promise.

That's why criticisms should be voiced now.  The point of revealing a tech demo is to see what you can do with a full game released around it, not so you can see what it's like after complete restructuring.  Basically, if you showed me a Sonic demo and it played like Sonic Unleashed Wii, but said that after ironing out the kinks, it could play like SA1 (minus SA1's bugs and all that), then I'd rather you wait until you iron out all those kinks before you make that kind of promise.

Yeah I guess, I just figured the person developing it would have better sense than to not see the glaring flaws here.

Yeah I guess, I just figured the person developing it would have better sense than to not see the glaring flaws here.

And I think if they do see it, they can agree with it and say "Yeah, I'll work on it."  Some developers, even professional developers, would look at this kind of product and think it's actually a good build for the final product, though.

TBH Looks like Sonic 06 HD to me. Like many addressed, it's too flat and the gameplay is all wrong and I couldn't see any form of level design that would make this format a fun playable game. Like could you imagine platforming with that mess?

It would've been loads better to try and get some actual physics in there, and build an environment that's more vibrant and not-realistic. Sure that might be a stylistic choice, but I just can't Sonic when there's some real deer ass deer hopping around an open world that looks like it belongs to ATV Off-road Fury. Would've been a start anyway.

Edited by Wolfy
  • Thumbs Up 3

• 1 month later...

Yeah looks good. It's a powerful engine and it'll be interesting to see what's done with it in future.

Sonic was rendered well but I'd say the grass was probably the nicest bit lol

I would love to see a more "mature" looking Sonic game like that again though - like '06 but just more polished and bug tested!

I don't like it when people crank Sonic's speed up mega fast though because I prefer it when I have a chance to really enjoy the environment I'm running through :)

What about this? This one is my work. And is a full UE4 Sonic engine.

I preferred this as Sonic's movement is smoother and not quite as fast.

I like speed but I think anything much faster than SA2 gets a bit silly!

Beautiful though :)