Awoo.

Cartoon/Anime Theme Songs from Around the World

ElectricAngel

You know, as someone who's grown up in like, 3 different places and has visited like, 5 or 6 different places and who loves animation and is interested in other languages, I've had a sort of hobby of checking out cartoons and anime as they air in different countries. For the most part, the show itself stays in tact. However, the opening songs are rather different. Sometimes just a dub, sometimes a whole new music track altogether. This has gotten me to listen to theme songs in tons of different languages. Being bilingual myself, I noticed for some, the lyrics change a lot.. or have subtle differences that I feel make it more interesting. 

So, just what the heck am I going on about? Well, this thread is made for us to share some of our favourite (or least favourite) theme songs from cartoons and anime that have aired in our countries, or in other countries whose language we know. I thought it'd be an interesting idea. Of course, I feel it's best we also provided translated lyrics, as I've always been interested in how some are translated, and I'm sure plenty others would want to know what they're listening to. :P  I'm not sure how long this thread will last or how many people will find it interesting but I think I'll begin with two.

First off I've got Darkwing Duck. I first saw this show in Greek and the opening is extremely nostalgic to me and I prefer it over the English version. Every time I listen to this, memories from Saturday mornings come back. This was the show to watch. Well, this and Goof Troop were like my bread and butter when it came to Saturday morning Disney cartoons. (I had to reupload this one since the old video got taken down. The audio is a tad out of sync with the video. Sorry. D:)

(okay fixed it)

Translated Lyrics:

The amazing Darkwing Duck works really hard!

He slips into the darkness and over the Earth he soars!

He unravels plots and busts crime!

Darkwing Duck!

And his crazy friends too!

Darkwing Duck!

Let's get dangerous!

Darkwing Duck! 

Darkwing, Darkwing, Duck!

A shadow emerges and startles us all! (who?)

He's the one behind it, and looks like a duck!

Nobody knows him, and everyone wonders! (yeah! yeah! yeah!)

Darkwing Duck! (come on!)

With his amazing tricks!

Darkwing Duck!

Let's get dangerous!

Darkwing Duck!

Villains always lose to!

Darkwing Duck!

And for another one, I have Wander Over Yonder. A show I never watched in Greek until a few days ago actually. I was surprised by how much better the opening was. 

Translated Lyrics:

Our friend Wander is really enjoyable!

Wander is our great galactic friend!

Our friend Wander has silly stories, he gets in danger, and lots of trouble, when he's on an adventure!

[repeat x3]

(Announcer: Wander's Galactic Adventures [that's the Greek title]) 

[And while he's saying that it's overlapping with a small verse]

Absolutely enjoyable!

So those are my starters for now. I might share some others too, if any interest in this thread is shown. 

Edited by ElectricAngel
  • Thumbs Up 5

One thing I find interesting is when the intro is completely different in another country, take Transformers Animated intro for example:

https://youtu.be/4_eBELOdsjE

In America, it's a nice tribute to the original G1 intro.

In Japan, however:

https://youtu.be/9ODtsNMNJXk

(Lyrics are in the video.)

Wow, look at that animation! And it has a song by JAM project!

It really gets you pumped up for the show, even though it part spoiling it, part giving you a wrong impression.

(Who is that shadow guy appearing above the Earth? Where is Sari and the other humans?)

So, yeah, it's really neat to see how much a intro differs depending on location.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'll start with Italian Darkwing Duck myself, and then I will show you other Italian openings in due time.

Translated Lyrics

He's the only king of the night

Search for him and you will see

He swoops out of the shadows and he makes troubles disappear

If there's a bad guy here, he will catch him

Darkwing Duck

If mystery makes you shiver

Darkwing Duck

"Go for it, Duck!"

Darkwing Duck! Darkwing, Darkwing Duck!

Hard times are coming for those who are seeking troubles

No one will ever know the face hidden behind that mask

This is Darkwing Duck!

Darkwing Duck!

If mystery makes you shiver

Darwking Duck!

"Go for it, Duck!"

Darkwing Duck!

No one is safe anymore

Darkwing Duck!

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh my goodness, YES. Please send us more of this good stuff, it's a pretty nice listen!

I remember when I was a little kid again. Back before I was a fan of everybody's favourite blue hedgehog, I could always count on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to show me some butt kicking antics. The 2003 series is something deeply embedded in my childhood, and I'll always have a soft spot for this little gem of a show. 

So imagine that on one of my nostalgic rewatching on Youtube I find an opening for the Japanese Dub of the show in my recommended list!

Now this is just the second opening, as there were apparently three. I've never seen the Japanese Dub, so I can't say for sure. However, I do know that the initial riff from this opening is fantastic. I can't make heads or tails of what the lyrics are supposed to actually mean in context, but it's still a pretty good listen on my end.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, yes, Ninja! Yep, I can do Ninja too! Italian Ninja Turtles, 80s cartoon, to be exact!

Sorry for the outburst, but I love the Italian opening we made for that show! Yeah, sure, it may not sound as catchy or 80s flavoured like the original, but I still think it's a good fit nevertheless.

Oh, by the way, all those people saying "In Europe they changed the "ninja" part with "heroes" because you weren't allowed to say "ninjas" on European television"?

Bullshit.

Europe is more than the Uk and Germany, you know. (I'm not sure about Germany, but at least I'm sure "Turtles in Time" was pubblished with the "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" logo there)

I even found a youtube video with an English translation of the lyrics of the Tv Version of the opening! (Lots of "Of"s here). They are not perfect, but they get the job done.

Edited by Naldush Repulsa
  • Thumbs Up 2

Italian intros of animated series are some of the most interesting given how different they are. Here's the intro for the Indigo arc of the Pokemon anime:

I looked around to find out why the Italian intros tend to be different instead of an outright translation, but couldn't find the reason as to why. Would anyone happen to know the reason?

Edited by Kevin
  • Thumbs Up 1

Regarding Italian openings...it's kinda a tradition, more or less. It probably started as a way to make openings closer to our tastes with the first animes dubbed in Italian (Heidi girls of the alps, Captain Harlock, Tiger Mask, Time Bokan, Go go go! Mach 5..) and it kinda stuck. Nevertheless, while most openings are made in Italy, some shows still have their original openings (like, say, Gurren Lagann, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal alchemist and so on) or a version of their theme-songs sung in Italian, like most Disney shows or most Digimon series.

Does anybody remember W.I.T.C.H? It's a pretty underrated show in my opinion. I used to catch every new episode of show during my pre-teen years. 

I love this theme song. 

Edited by CottonCandy
  • Thumbs Up 2

Does anybody remember W.I.T.C.H? It's a pretty underrated show in my opinion. I used to catch every new episode of show during my pre-teen years. 

I love this theme song. 

!!!! Another W.I.T.C.H. fan on SSMB! Yes! I tried talking about this on the Disney Comics thread but nobody showed interest. ;-; Interesting thing I find about this show is how different the European opening was. It aired undubbed in Greece, like so

The title mentions it's season 2 but the lyrics are the same. The visuals are just different. Anyway, this is the song I associate with W.I.T.C.H. The American opening is badass for sure, but I see it more of a.. promotional song I guess. It'd feel weird as an opening is what I'm saying. Maybe it's just because I grew up with the European one, I dunno. 

Edited by ElectricAngel
  • Thumbs Up 1

...I totally want to watch "witch" now! I'm not sure if i'll go through with it, but it defenetly looks interesting!

...I totally want to watch "witch" now! I'm not sure if i'll go through with it, but it defenetly looks interesting!

I think it's great. It's been years since I've seen it, but I think it's still good. If you like, you could also check out the comics they were based on. Not sure if they were published outside Italy and Greece, but there are scanlations online.

Anyway, I think I wanna share a few more themes. Greece.. isn't exactly known for dubbing songs, honestly. A lot of shows air with their original English or Japanese opening (or sometimes just the instrumental). Sometimes they even switch it up for whatever reason. Phineas and Ferb in fact switched frequently from Greek dubbed music to the original English ones... But eh, whatever. 

ONE PIECE. I wanna talk about this. Why? If you thought 4Kids was Americanizing it, then you haven't seen the Greek one. Yes, it's uncensored, but they renamed everyone making it so... American. Luffy is called Drake, Zoro is Blackjack, Usopp is Gus, the Going Merry is Mario. Also the show got called Drake and the Hunt for Treasure. Ew. The opening is equally bad.. but better than a rap, I guess.

Translated Lyrics:

Come along on a huge adventure!

With Drake and his friends too!

Drake!

Oceans and peninsulas, on a pirate ship!

We'll all set sail, with the weather on our side!

Our captain Drake, a pirate flag, and our goal to reach the Red Line!

We'll beat all the bad guys, we'll beat them on a dime!

With brawn and brains together!

Captain Drake!

Let's go kids, on the hunt for treasure!

The ship is sailing on unknown waters!

But Drake isn't afraid, he's daring!

Drake, Drake, Drake!

*cringes* 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it's great. It's been years since I've seen it, but I think it's still good. If you like, you could also check out the comics they were based on. Not sure if they were published outside Italy and Greece, but there are scanlations online.

Anyway, I think I wanna share a few more themes. Greece.. isn't exactly known for dubbing songs, honestly. A lot of shows air with their original English or Japanese opening (or sometimes just the instrumental). Sometimes they even switch it up for whatever reason. Phineas and Ferb in fact switched frequently from Greek dubbed music to the original English ones... But eh, whatever. 

ONE PIECE. I wanna talk about this. Why? If you thought 4Kids was Americanizing it, then you haven't seen the Greek one. Yes, it's uncensored, but they renamed everyone making it so... American. Luffy is called Drake, Zoro is Blackjack, Usopp is Gus, the Going Merry is Mario. Also the show got called Drake and the Hunt for Treasure. Ew. The opening is equally bad.. but better than a rap, I guess.

Translated Lyrics:

Hidden Content

*cringes* 

Wait, wait....WHAT?!

You mean to tell me that in Greece, a rapper, a rogue unlicensed surgeon and a meth distributor are sailing on the back of a princess saving Italian to hunt for treasure?!

Madam, allow me to be one of many people to tell you that you come from an absolutely beautiful country.

Edited by SpinningSilver
I meant to put an exclamation point at the end of the statement, but it didn't register on my keyboard.
  • Thumbs Up 1

well since we are talking about cartoon intros

the English version that would play in the united states.it was a good intro for a good series for a lot of fans (including myself of course) but one can not simply talk about the English intro without talking about...

the Japanese version would play for one of the more laid back comedic episodes and sounds just as good

also dangit pink cat already noted the transformers animated Japanese intro before I did lol

Regarding Italian openings...it's kinda a tradition, more or less. It probably started as a way to make openings closer to our tastes with the first animes dubbed in Italian (Heidi girls of the alps, Captain Harlock, Tiger Mask, Time Bokan, Go go go! Mach 5..) and it kinda stuck. Nevertheless, while most openings are made in Italy, some shows still have their original openings (like, say, Gurren Lagann, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal alchemist and so on) or a version of their theme-songs sung in Italian, like most Disney shows or most Digimon series.

Ah I see. I have to admit some of the Italian intros I've heard are very catchy. Has any particular cartoon intro become a hit in Italy? 

Ducktales has been dubbed into soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many different languages it's not even funny. I've heard most of them and in my opinion most of them are good....................................... most of them

What's even weirder is that the tv show version sounds fine.

But that's not what I wanted to talk about. I want to talk about the Korean Version. 

Wow............. huhh................ weak. 

No seriously what the hell? Lol. I mean when I first heard I was just like......................... wow. 

the English version that would play in the united states.it was a good intro for a good series for a lot of fans (including myself of course) but one can not simply talk about the English intro without talking about...

the Japanese version would play for one of the more laid back comedic episodes and sounds just as good

also dangit pink cat already noted the transformers animated Japanese intro before I did lol

What's funny about the Japanese theme is how it's practically nonsense and has nothing to do with the show or even superheroes. I don't think it's the theme they used in Japan all the time. Otherwise it'd be weird. I assume in Japan they also had the English one normally and then the Japanese one for silly episodes.

Ducktales has been dubbed into soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many different languages it's not even funny. I've heard most of them and in my opinion most of them are good....................................... most of them

What's even weirder is that the tv show version sounds fine.

But that's not what I wanted to talk about. I want to talk about the Korean Version. 

Wow............. huhh................ weak. 

No seriously what the hell? Lol. I mean when I first heard I was just like......................... wow. 

Both Japanese versions sound fine to me. :L But I agree on the Korean one. It's so weird they had to change the entire song like that.

But hey, DuckTales! Or as it was called in Greece, Duck Adventures! I think I'll share the Greek one here too. It's rather catchy, I must admit. 

Translated Lyrics:

Who will always find the answer? Only the ducks!

And the world will be saved from the ducks!

Their secret weapon is their mind!

Ducks! Woo-ooo!

They are brave heroes! 

Ducks! Woo-ooo!

And better than everyone!

Ducks! 

Someone's approaching! Watch out for him!

You're in danger! Leave him alone!

Ducks will save me again now! Woo-ooo!

They are brave heroes!

Ducks! Woo-ooo!

And better than everyone!

Ducks! Woo-ooo!

I will forever love the ducks! Woo-ooo!

Edit: Made the lyrics a tad more accurate. 

Edited by ElectricAngel
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here's Italian Ducktales. Our opening was just as beautiful as the original, if you ask me.

By the way, I'll try to translate the lyrics as best as I can.

Life here in Duckburg 
is like a big dance
Races, airplanes flights
What a ball!
Tales about ducks (That's a literal translation of "DuckTales")
What beautiful ducks!
DuckTales, ooh ooh!
Everyday there is
a new mysterious and duckish story (yep, they used a neologism there. "Paperosa", which doesn't mean anything, so I used an equivalent "duckish"
DuckTales!
Watch out! There is someone behind your shoulders who's spying on you!
Don't be afraid, they're DuckTales! Ooh, ooh!
Extraordinary characters
DuckTales!
Great and fun stories
DuckTales!
The most beautiful stories are DuckTales, ooh ooh!

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh man, on the topic of ducks, anyone remember Qua- *shot* 

Okay I know we agreed to never speak of this atrocity, but I wanted to bring forth the Greek theme song. Quack Pack was atrociously known for it being too tryhard hip and edgy. And.. oh boy does the Greek theme song achieve that. 

Translated Lyrics:

I have the urge to yell real loud!

My bitching voice is rather squeaky!

This pisses me off, it really does!!

Oh yeah! I sing, I sing, I sing!

With a crazy rhythm!

Quack Pack! Quack Pack! Quack Pack! Quack Pack!

I sing, I sing, I sing, with a crazy rhythm! Quack Pack!

Well, we might as well get Dragon Ball out of the way, as there is a shitload of these. 

The Japanese Theme: 

The English version is interesting as there are two distinct versions. 

The first is very similar to the Japanese one, but just in English. This is the FUNimation Dub. 

But there is also this version which is quite different. This is the Ocean Dub intro. 

I like both of these but the FUNimation dub is the better of the two English ones. 

Now for non-English. 

Here is the Greek one. 

The Spanish one. 

Here is the German one. 

These are variations of the original Japanese. 

The Italian intro is very interesting as it is completely different from the rest. Italian themes seem to always be quite different. 

Here is the Canadian theme to Dragon Ball. This one is also in English, but is different to the Ocean and FUNimation ones.  

https://youtu.be/mVrVTinOsBw

(This one you will have to click the link for. Sorry!) 

There certainly are a lot of variations of the Dragon Ball intro. I'm sure there are plenty more,but I will only show these for now. 

I like all of these, except for the Canadian one. That one seriously really sounds off. 

Edited by Osmium
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just listening to that SX and Teen Titans intro makes me cry because of nostalgia ;~;

When it comes to W.I.T.C.H. (yes, I'm a fan, too) as much as I like "We are..." I think european version is way better, that's for sure. Also, when we are at this topic, I might as well point out few differences between our version and the european. There are not many, but still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owhhxBMh4JQ

For example, it's not 'come on' but 'who...' and then:

"You better run, because new~ times~ are~ coming~

W.I.T.C.H. - that's us - and inside of us is mighty power

We're saving the world from the evil and no one will prevent us from doing so

No one will (W.I.T.C.H.)

We'll change the world - oh, yeah! - so it would be forever safe" 

Besides, I think I'm gonna go with this:

Lyrics:

Maybe you know me from the looks,

Like wind, I rush to be on time

After all, I'm one of you

Kim Possible

When you lack help,

I'm running like I'm with wings

Because I love the taste of danger

Don't stand alone in an empty window

Call me, give me a sign

Kim Possible

Call me, don't wait

Near or far, I'll hear your S.O.S.

And if the time is running out

At the address, send sms

Call right now, I'm here and I'm answering

Everyday I'm playing with fate, I'm playing with entire world

With me, no one will be left alone

I'm already near, so I'll give everything I got

So shout, write, or call

Kim Possible

(Personally, I think the polish version is better. The singer sings it with more energy)

(Oh, and when it comes to W.I.T.C.H. comics, if we're thinking about the same ones, we had them in Poland too as stories in a magazine)

• Thumbs Up 1

Now for non-English. 

Here is the Greek one. 

I can translate this!

Lyrics:

I need too and I can!

And until I find them!

I will search for Dragon Balls!

I need to and I can!

I'm searching and I'll find!

Tomorrow I will be holding you in my two hands!

In the twisted caverns that were long lost, in the palaces of the skies, I will come find you!

In the rivers of truth, Dragon Balls!

In the tentacles of mystery, Dragon Balls!

I travel and I search for you, Dragon Balls! 

In the rivers of truth, Dragon Balls!

In the tentacles of mystery, Dragon Balls!

I'm looking for you, Dragon Balls! I'm searching for you and I'll find you!

I'm going, going, going, going, moving forward!

Around the world, I'm running like crazy!

Come on, come on, come on along!

In the unknown fields that challenge us!

I need to and I can!

And until I find them!

I will search for Dragon Balls!

I need to and I can!

I'm searching and I'll find!

Tomorrow I will be holding you in my two hands!

In the twisted caverns that were long lost, in the palaces of the skies, I will come find you!

Ah, so I assume they were published all over Europe? I haven't seen any covers from other countries, and not many people talk about them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I know not a lot of people think much of the Powerpuff Girls anime, but I simply love this outro:

(And no, I don't know a lick of Japanese, so the translated lyrics are already in the video)

Another personal favoutite is the third TMNT 2003 JP Intro

Also, I'll throw it out there, but I'm not that big a fan of Sonic X's JP Intro, I however love this outro:

• Thumbs Up 2

I kinda wanna share the Greek Sailor Moon opening. This aired before my time so I didn't catch it. And when it came back on Greek television on another channel the theme was just instrumental. :L But hey, Sailor Moon in Greek! I believe Greece was the first country outside Japan to dub it, so that's pretty neat.

Translated Lyrics (they're in the video description but I can make more accurate ones :U):

With a beam, weapon, and shield, I am the princess of the moon.

A small ship carries my hope. I am Sailor Moon.

The moon will call forth justice, as it does not forgive evil.

Whoever dares to hurt you, will pay dearly.

Don't be afraid, for I am here and I know how to find the path towards the light.

With a beam, weapon, and shield, I am the princess of the moon.

A small ship carries my hope. I am Sailor Moon.

I am Sailor Moon. I am Sailor Moon.

This actually sounds pretty old timey, but compared to other old Greek anime openings, I think it's rather good. Also very formal when it comes to word choice. The line "I am Sailor Moon" is more formal and have an emphasis in "I", almost like if you were to say "It is I, Sailor Moon" (but that sounds awkward in English). 

Do I even need to say it?

It's so terrible, but I honestly think it's really catchy.

Another one I love is TMNT 2012's intro.

Although the above one is the Season 1 intro, I much prefer the new Season 3 intro.

• Thumbs Up 2