Awoo.

Rocket League (PS4 & PC)

Badnik Mechanic

Platforms: PS4 & PC

Players: 1-8, (It also has local splitscreen multiplayer too!)

Intro:

I hate football games.

I don't particularly get excited about most driving games...

Rocket League is a game in which you play football as cars... 

w0Rbdr1.jpg

AND I FUCKING LOVE IT!

Rocket League has come out of nowhere and is quickly becoming a serious contender for GOTY, it's the sequel to 2008's Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars only my god it's so much easier to play and so much better in every respect. 

Gameplay Modes: 

There are are a number of gameplay modes, but odds are you'll probably just stick to Online or a short season.

Season Mode: Basically a tournament mode, you and your Ai team Vs another Ai team, complete and win the cup! You can also customise a lot of your team such as it's logo, name and even drivers.

Exhibition mode: You and your Ai Buddies in a one off match.

Practice/Tutorial: Several different tutorial modes such as striking, goal keeping and flying.

Online: You Vs the world! Both ranked and unranked, you can even play 1 Vs 1. And thers is even cross platform play with PS4 and PC users!

Odds are though you'll end up playing either online (which is legitimately awesome and a new player can easily hold their own against a veteran player. Or you'll end up playing against an All-Star difficult Ai Team which is challenging but rewarding when you beat them. 

Experienced no lag during my time playing it. Really impressed with it.

20141023_rocketleague_01.jpg

Customization:
There are 150 items in Rocket League. Combined with all 10 cars, this works out at over 10 billion total customization combinations, you can really get creative with some of your vehicles. 

Game Balance: 

The game is stunningly well balanced, the arenas are basically the same aside from cosmetic details (though I've noticed the ball moves and behaves different if playing on grass). The Vehicles, aside from some changes in hit boxes, they all behave very similar, meaning no one vehicle is over powered or a favourite, everyone picks their favourite and has an even standing.

Awesome stuff you can do which isn't as hard as you think:

Gifs ahead

LhcpprB.gif

FQqJZar.gif

And for the defence?

QZj1EDq.gif

Everyone who plays this game can potentially pull off moves like that! I've done similar stuff on only my second day of playing! The game is so accessible and controls are so solid you will be able to pick it up and be on someone's highlights rheel in no time!

Price: £14.99 on Steam/PS4. However PS+ Users currently get it free for July!

PS4 users also get this as a bonus car.

EuNZQ3n.jpg

Reviews: 

Current MetaCritic score = 84

GamerStyle - 10/10
LZY GMRS - 10/10

VGNetwork.it - 9.5/10
Destructoid - 9/10
The Sixth Axis - 9/10
Playstation Lifestyle - 9/10
Metro - 9/10
Gaming Tech United - 4.5/5
PCGamer - 87/100
ShackNews - 8/10
Videogamer - 7/10
Eurogamer - Recommened
Rock Paper Shotgun - Recommended

(Angry Jo 9/10)

What SSMB Needs to do right now...

Get this game, put it on the game nights, thank me for the recommendation afterwards.

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 7

What SSMB Needs to do right now...

Get this game, put it on the game nights, thank me for the recommendation afterwards.

When a massive sale comes, I'll push every single participant with a PC into buying this game.

And we'll have a fucking fantastic night. (Also I really want to play Rocket League but I'm saving money for other stuff so)

What Hogfather said word for word.  I hate sports games, don't really like driving games, but this?  This is fucking ace.

I really haven't smiled and laughed this much at a game in a very long time.  If it wasn't for Bloodborne then it would definitely be a GOTY contender, but as it stands it's easily in second place for now.  I keep coming back to it, which I can't say for most games these days.

Watch some videos, and if it at all looks like it might be your thing, GET IT.  And even if it doesn't, try it out if possible, because it might surprise you.  It was weird at first, but after a few minutes of play I was totally hooked.  Rocket League rocks it.  League.

So basicaly a game only gets on game nights if its popular enough around here! ...well that sucks! (nothing against this game imo!)

I'm very tempted to start my own "game nights" once I get popular enough around here! (not trying to sound elitist or anything, I just get annoyed that noone like my games! >:O)

Got it for free through PS+, really fun game. I also did enjoy Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars when I played it at my friends but I do like Rocket Leauge a lot more. 

Soccer played in mech suits with rocket-packs? Laaame.

Soccer played in cars with rocket engines? ZOMG AMAZING!!1!

But seriously, I usually don't like it when sports games are made with cars, but this looks like it'd be an exception. The physics look really handlable, and the kinds of shots you can make are insane. The fact that you can drive on the walls and the ceiling cements my intrest in the game even further. Now if only I had something to play it on...

Honestly, this is the best game they have offered on PS+ this year and one of the best on PS4 since it launched. That is saying a lot too, since we have had titled like Oddworld and Valiant Hearts this year. I usually hate sports games but I absolutely love this, it's a ton of fun to play. 

I've been playing this since it showed up on PS+. This is definitely one of my favourite games on PS4 and probably my favourite for this year thus far. LEGO Dimensions and No Man's Sky (?) will likely take it's place on the chart but I can't say I'll be moving away from this any time soon.

I've been looking for a "party" game for me and my friends to play online. Something simple that we can drop in and out of whenever. This game more than fits the bill and always provides a laugh when we play. 

The balancing is absolutely fantastic. So much customisation yet none of it gives you any actual advantage over someone who's literally just started out. 

This absolutely must be made part of SSMB Game Nights in the future. Smash Bros and MK8 are the current favourites and I can confidently say this will rank alongside them. Assuming the specs for this aren't ridiculous I'll have no issues double dipping for a PC copy.

I've been playing this since it showed up on PS+. This is definitely one of my favourite games on PS4 and probably my favourite for this year thus far. LEGO Dimensions and No Man's Sky (?) will likely take it's place on the chart but I can't say I'll be moving away from this any time soon.

I've been looking for a "party" game for me and my friends to play online. Something simple that we can drop in and out of whenever. This game more than fits the bill and always provides a laugh when we play. 

The balancing is absolutely fantastic. So much customisation yet none of it gives you any actual advantage over someone who's literally just started out. 

This absolutely must be made part of SSMB Game Nights in the future. Smash Bros and MK8 are the current favourites and I can confidently say this will rank alongside them. Assuming the specs for this aren't ridiculous I'll have no issues double dipping for a PC copy.

It actually isn't that demanding.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/rocket-league/12743/?p=r

Max settings require 2.0 GHz Quad Core, 4GB RAM, and anything better than a Nvidia 260 or ATI 5850.

I want to pick this up but I'm really considering just waiting for when it goes on sale. I bet you the game will sell hotcakes when the next Sale comes along.

Edited by Inkling no Klonoa
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

First DLC dated and priced.

Contains 2 new cars, a bunch of new customisation options and some new trophies.

Also includes Spectator mode and a new arena.

Price is $/£3.99.

Comes next week.

• Thumbs Up 1

My brother downloaded this last week and I tried it today. You're all absolutely right, it's freakin' awesome!! XD

It reminds me of a multiplayer mode you could play on a game called Street Racer way back in the days of the SNES. I found some youtube footage of it for you younger folk, if you're interested.

Games today don't seem to bother with local multiplayer much, but this one does and playing with my brothers brings back many pleasant memories. :)

Edited by DanielJ86

• 2 months later...