Awoo.

It's official, more women like Sonic than men

Badnik Mechanic

Full story in my article. But basically, YouGov ran a poll regarding the favourite videogames of the british public, and Sonic came in at number 13 on that list. 

However they broke the results down into a number of demographics including gender, the results are quite clear, more women like Sonic. 

yougovresults.jpg

There's also a few other polls and results in the entire report, you can read it at yougovs website, excuse the basic op, having connection issues and this new SSMB isn't helping.

Edited by Hogfather

Me is sad that Zelda is at the bottom of that list :unsure:.

(I'm not surprised, but still)

Anyway.. interesting to know. Also worth noting that, while the bulk of the Sonic share is in the 25-39 range, the area with the lowest proportion is 18-24.

Lol, it all makes sense now, since it was my cousins (who are both girls) got me into Sonic in the first place lmao

This means I must move to England for a new friends ASAP! I wonder if I can meet any competitors in the games who are women.

I think the sad fact of the poll is the simple fact Candy Crush is Number 1.

This is a sad day for video games.

Or not? Of course a game like Candy Crush is going to have wider appeal than the average "gamer's game". What is there even to be upset about?

• Thumbs Up 6

Or not? Of course a game like Candy Crush is going to have wider appeal than the average "gamer's game". What is there even to be upset about?

It was a joke.

It's overreacting over something silly for comedic effect. 

It was a joke.

It's overreacting over something silly for comedic effect. 

Well considering you gotten blown up over a mobile game before, it's hard to tell.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's nice to have official vindication of the trend, if nothing else.

I long discovered this when it became apparent that Sonic is considered "kiddy" by adult males. Adult women have no problem embracing "kiddy" things from what I see, however, so it stands to reason that in a culture of machismo, women are going to like him a lot more.

• Thumbs Up 3

So does anyone want to comment on the fact that either Sega's market data is wrong and for the best part of 5-10 years they've been marketing Sonic to the wrong demographic?

Or...

That for some reason the gender demographic switches from male to female and it's quite a large shift at that.

Don't worry Hogfather

I'm sure Amy & Big's Dating Simulator will be announced as Sonic's 25th anniversary game, which will revitalize the series for the new demographic.

:^)

• Thumbs Up 2

The thing that really gets me about the data isn't that the female demographic is larger, but that Sonic and SPACE INVADERS are beating Zelda. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Another interesting report: Mario Kart being higher than Sonic. I guess Sonic being more popular than Mario in the UK was true only of the main titles.

Wait, I just realized this is a UK poll. Is it possible it's different in other countries?

For the reasons I stated, though, I imagine the women to men ratio is much higher in the USA for Sonic fans. We are the nation that loves its blazes of glory.

Another interesting report: Mario Kart being higher than Sonic. I guess Sonic being more popular than Mario in the UK was true only of the main titles.

Super Mario is listed right below Mario Kart. 

Wait, I just realized this is a UK poll. Is it possible it's different in other countries?

For the reasons I stated, though, I imagine the women to men ratio is much higher in the USA for Sonic fans. We are the nation that loves its blazes of glory.

Well the UK is a smaller market for games than the US and other parts of the world, so it's probably different. I wouldn't really know how, though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually... I don't believe the list would be too different aside from one or two differences.

For example. If this were a US poll I would imagine the following would be true right away.

1: Fifa would be off the list. Either NBA or Madden would be on it. Maybe not in the same place but it would be there.

2: Champ/Footbll manager wouldon't be on the list/would be replaced by something else. 

Now let's assume the same options are on the list and they don't add games like war craft or league of legends. 

I don't think it would changet that much. The games all use the same hooks, same mind games on people worldwide. It has the same effect and their core appeals e.g sport, war, combat, adventure, strategy etc... isn't really gonna change much due to human nature. Especially not between 2 western first would countries like the US and the UK.

I haven't seen many haters of Sonic that are women, it's usually men.

I should've seen this coming.

Hey what can I say? The hedgehog helped me with my problems and has an adorable colourful cast. It's a gold mine for me.

Huh, that's interesting! I thought it would be more balanced. Maybe because it's more "kiddy" in a way and men tend to go for more mature video games while women like cuter games? I'm sorry if I sound like I'm stereotyping. I just think it might be an explanation.

Or maybe Sonic just appeals to the ladies. :P

Or maybe it's Dr. Eggman that's attracting all the woominz.