Awoo.

Goosebumps Movie

Badnik Mechanic

So we should probably talk about this one. 

Goosebumps was an amazingly popular franchise back in the late 90's, the primary aspect of it was the Books by author RL Stine. Normally the plot of every book was as follows... a kid, (usually a girl named Hannah) moves to a new neighbourhood would encounter something spooky or supernatural. 

It was amazingly popular, so popular in fact it spawned off a TV show which lasted for urm... 3 seasons? Toys and games, clothing and even a few videogames... which were actually not as terrible as you may think... ... screw you SSMB! One day at horror land is a great point and click game!

Well... there is a movie, and it's coming out soon. 

Synopsis:

A guy moves to a new house (lol) meets a girl named Hannah (lol!) who turns out to be the daughter of R.L. Stine. Anyway... one day boy hears Hannah screaming, breaks into RL Stine's home and finds all the manuscripts of the original Goosebumps books, he opens one and... out comes the monster from the book.

Anyway... boy manages to set free all the monsters from every goosebumps story ever... monsters begin to trash the town and.. stuff happens!

The movie is due out later this year (October I think), and here is the poster which I think is pretty cool.

goosebumps-142928.jpg

So urm... anyone looking forward to this?

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not really interested in this movie. The effects look awful to me as well, I dunno why but something about the CGI rubs me the wrong way.

I'm a fan of the original book series (as well as the Goosebumps Horrorland spiritual successors), so I'm kinda intrigued on how this would turn out. I think its got an interesting premise of basically being a antagonist crossover of all of the other films books.

Edited by Señor Gabe

This is the kind of premise that could probably be really entertaining if the writers have a lot of fun with it.

Sadly, judging from the trailer, the writing sounds awful and the humor was cringey.  I have very low expectations.

How on earth did it take this long to get made? I mean the Goosebumps series was such a phenomenon back it the 90's, what gives?

I'm probably going to see it as I'm fan of the books (especially the "Choose your own adventure" books) and growing up with the TV show. I'm glad the movie isn't going to take itself seriously because the show tried to and it flopped. The humor is a bit eh so far but hopefully it get better.

Interesting concept, let's see if the writers manage to turn it into a good movie. Me and my sister loved the series in the late 90 that was aired on Fox Kids.

I personally found really spooky. Netflix has a few episodes, I watched the other day, it can be very ridiculous when you watch more than 10 years later :lol: One of my personal favorites was the episode with the ventriloquist doll, Slappy. 

I'm sure that with Jack Black the movie will at least be funny.

I don't know, this looks uncomfortably a lot like Pixels, except this at least has Jack Black instead of Adam Sandler and his henchman. Plus it doesn't look, well, scary. I don't recall Goosebumps ever giving me nightmares but they were at least able to creep me out or plant some kind of scary image in my head. This movie just looks like it exists for the sake of nostalgia without even trying to replicate the feel of Goosebumps.

But I guess I can see why they're doing it this way. Do kids today really even know what Goosebumps is? If not, then I guess this movie is mostly meant for those of us who remember the series, and I think we're all past the age where we could still find Goosebumps legitimately scary. But instead of trying to get around this problem, it's like they're just ignoring it and going for a different tone altogether...

Meh what do I know?

• Thumbs Up 1

Plus it doesn't look, well, scary.

The thing is... Goosebumps wasn't ever that scary, not really, they were aimed at kids-young teenagers, they were not the scariest things ever written certainly not by other standards.

In fact I still have my huge collection of Goosebumps books in a spare room, I remember returning to them when I was in my 20's and they weren't that great/scary. 

This movie though is around the same tone, kinda scary but not really.

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 1

The thing is... Goosebumps wasn't ever that scary, not really, they were aimed at kids-young teenagers, they were not the scariest things ever written certainly not by other standards.

In fact I still have my huge collection of Goosebumps books in a spare room, I remember returning to them when I was in my 20's and they weren't that great/scary. 

This movie though is around the same tone, kinda scary but not really.

Yeah, like I said, we're all past the age where we'd still find it scary. I get that. But older audience or no, it bugs me that they don't even seem to be trying to replicate that feel. I'm not asking for it to take itself seriously or anything, just....I don't know. Make the monsters look scarier, give it some creepy twist ending (I remember Goosebumps doing that a ton), do SOMETHING to make it feel like Goosebumps.

It was never meant to be scary, the books and the series always ended with a funny cliffhanger, or something like: "everything was fine and they all had lunch!", despite the fact that a character turned into a werewolf or something xD

That's not really how I remember some of those Choose-Your-Adventure books. I remember being turned into a dummy or getting my head shrunk or being forced into service for a freak show or getting fed to someone's pet alligator. And yes, I do remember sillier ones too ("You're stuck on a trampoline forever oh nooooo"). They're silly now as an adult, but as a kid? Not really.

For that matter I will be curious to see how kids react to this movie.

How on earth did it take this long to get made? I mean the Goosebumps series was such a phenomenon back it the 90's, what gives?

IIRC people had been trying to get a Goosebumps film made for years. First attempt was in 1998 with Fox, with Tim Burton attached at producer (imagine how that would had turned out!). This attempt by Columbia/Sony actually first took hold back in 2008. Needless to say, it's been in development hell for quite some time.

...in light of that, I don't blame people for drawing comparisons with this movie to the recent Pixels (which was in a similar situation and also made by Sony). The least I can say in defense for this film is that it doesn't have HappyMadison attached at the very least.

...then again it has Original Film, so ultimately this project could go either way...

Edited by Señor Gabe

I guess they took the "not really scary" trope Up to Eleven with this, going straight for absurd romantic comedy.

I saw the trailer when I went to see Ant-Man... I might consider it. I imagine it will sell well purely due to nostalgia.

and even a few videogames... which were actually not as terrible as you may think... ... screw you SSMB! One day at horror land is a great point and click game!

I just wanted to put forward my two cents by agreeing with this, One Day At Horrorland really is pretty good.  A couple of years ago I went back and replayed it and it still stood up.  Attack of The Mutant, on the other hand, hasn't aged well and didn't have a great deal to do with the book.

Speaking of the books, it's true that many of them really were more silly than scary, but there were some which had more impact.  Hopefully the film is just getting the typical family-friendly trailer approach and there'll be some scarier moments that they've yet to give away.

IIRC people had been trying to get a Goosebumps film made for years. First attempt was in 1998 with Fox, with Tim Burton attached at producer (imagine how that would had turned out!). This attempt by Columbia/Sony actually first took hold back in 2008. Needless to say, it's been in development hell for quite some time.

...in light of that, I don't blame people for drawing comparisons with this movie to the recent Pixels (which was in a similar situation and also made by Sony). The least I can say in defense for this film is that it doesn't have HappyMadison attached at the very least.

...then again it has Original Film, so ultimately this project could go either way...

Okay wow I never knew this movie's conception dates back to the late 90's, I remember hearing about it around the 2000's but yeesh.

Also has anyone seen this from the 2014 Goosebumps panel?

Oh goodness.

I learned to read on Goosebumps, much to the chagrin of my highly religious grandparents, who were convinced that my adventures into the occult would bring on demonic possession or something.

(R.L. Stine wishes he could write horror so effective).

These were silly, silly books associated with an even sillier TV show. I have to say, though, after JonTron took my down memory lane with his special on the television show, I decided to see what the book series was up to in these latter-2000 day and...it seems like it's gotten weird. All the latest books bring in every imaginable villain and throws it into some bizarre overworld continuity spanning multiple novels.

This movie looks like it will be touching on that nonsense. Which should be awesome o/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Growing up the Goosebumps books (not the TV show, although I love its theme), I most certainly want to see it.

But I've been reading some latest books by R.L.Stine and they're no where near as creepy and it saddens me.

I wish this was an adaptation of that 90s goosebump CG fmv game where that comic came to life and everyone's eyebrows moved erratically. 

I wish this was an adaptation of that 90s goosebump CG fmv game where that comic came to life and everyone's eyebrows moved erratically. 

Those were the days.

goose22008-08-1110-51-38-04.jpg

goose22008-08-1214-40-35-45.jpg

goose22008-08-1512-27-22-29.jpg

goose22008-08-1512-28-23-04.jpg

goose22008-08-1512-45-15-40.jpg

goose22008-08-1512-49-07-79.jpg