Awoo.

Sonic X - Sonic Adventure/2 Episodes

GOAT

So I recently found out through youtube that there was some sort of a Sonic Adventure/2 adaptation episodes for Sonic X. I only watched SATAM back in the day, and never got into X. Anyways, I was curious to know exactly which episodes they were so I could watch them all. Anyone know?

I can't remember where, it was like the mid 30's or something. All I remember was that the Adventure adapts were really bad.

For the Sonic adventure 2 adaption, you should watch episodes 33-38.

Isn't there a Sonic X topic here?

Edited by Rip Von Pringles
  • Thumbs Up 1

Like the rest of Sonic X, they were "watchable" at least, but they weren't very good.  There were a lot of silly edits made, and the pacing is sort of all over the place.  Of course, the real problem is series' over-emphasis on Chris.  More info in spoiler.

One notable edit made in the Sonic Adventure 2 adaptation is that when Shadow dies, Sonic gives the rings to Chris (instead of Rouge), even though the two don't have any significant interaction that I can recall.

For Sonic X standards, the adaptations aren't bad episodes in standalone format, but as far as adaptations go, yeah, they're not very good.

Edited by Tara
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm a fan of Sonic X and really enjoyed these episodes.  I never minded the original characters intruding on scenes from the original because otherwise we'd just be watching the exact same thing again in animated form and it would've been awkward to push all those characters aside for the sake of adapting 100% faithfully.  That aside though, the thing I most enjoy about the adaptation is they handle the emotional scenes so much better, no more blaring rock boss music going on while Sonic is fucking dying as far as Tails and Amy are concerned, and Shadow's flashbacks are much better handled too, especially due to Maria actually looking like a dying human instead of some kind of muppet with about three strings attached to her that are being gently pulled as opposed to friggin' animated lol.

The Sonic Adventure adaptation is a bit more faithful, though I like a fair few of the changes compared to the original game here too.  Amy and Gamma's story felt much more satisfying for being intertwined to the very end rather than them splitting off and never knowing what happened to each other (nor seemingly caring lol) in Adventure.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm a fan of Sonic X and really enjoyed these episodes.  I never minded the original characters intruding on scenes from the original because otherwise we'd just be watching the exact same thing again in animated form and it would've been awkward to push all those characters aside for the sake of adapting 100% faithfully.  That aside though, the thing I most enjoy about the adaptation is they handle the emotional scenes so much better, no more blaring rock boss music going on while Sonic is fucking dying as far as Tails and Amy are concerned, and Shadow's flashbacks are much better handled too, especially due to Maria actually looking like a dying human instead of some kind of muppet with about three strings attached to her that are being gently pulled as opposed to friggin' animated lol.

The Sonic Adventure adaptation is a bit more faithful, though I like a fair few of the changes compared to the original game here too.  Amy and Gamma's story felt much more satisfying for being intertwined to the very end rather than them splitting off and never knowing what happened to each other (nor seemingly caring lol) in Adventure.

I'm actually a fan of Sonic X as well. It wasn't perfect, but it was good in my opinion.

I don't recall seeing any of the Adventure adaption (it hasn't been on in the UK for years, annoyingly) but I do recall seeing some of the Adventure 2 adaption and rather liking it. If I remember right, I saw the episodes Shadow first appears and fights Sonic in Station Square, forcing Sonic on the run, the episode where Amy helps break him out of Prison Island,and the episode where they all break into Eggman's lair to take his rocket to the arc. 

There was some edits though, which some were good, some were bad. For example, I heard in the Adventure arc, Chaos actually does some real damage to the heroes, rather than being easily beaten and not a threat until Perfect Chaos, For example, after a fight, he attacks Tails and causes him to break his arm, putting him out of action.

Adventure 2 had some of the more bad changes to story though, including the already mentioned change of having Chris be the one who gets Shadow's rings, rather than Rouge, and a lot more. Going even further, in the English dub, 4Kids managed to make it even worse by altering dialogue in the arc, and in one of the moves that's regarded as idiotic to say the least, they removed Live and Learn from the Japan version of the final episode in the arc, and replaced it with generic music. 

It's always stuck out to me because of how hard they tried to whitewash what was a dark and fairly compelling story (albeit not executed amazingly) into something that was A-OK for people half the age the original story was targeted at. The dub was even worse, but it was just more damage to something that was already pretty screwed up.  Plus the rather odd decision to adapt a game that served as an introduction to two of the main characters 30 odd episodes into the show, but I think at that point Sonic X's production staff was getting a little desperate. 

The Adventure adaptation, while similarly scrubbed and sterilized, inherently didn't lose out as bad and actually did a couple nifty things differently for storytelling purposes rather than simply because they were forced to. 

The adaptations are nothing special, but it gets bonus points for some really satisfying to watch finales:

(I  still really don't like Chris, though)

Edited by Indigo Rush

Going even further, in the English dub, 4Kids managed to make it even worse by altering dialogue in the arc, and in one of the moves that's regarded as idiotic to say the least, they removed Live and Learn from the Japan version of the final episode in the arc, and replaced it with generic music. 

I'm thinking there might be some licensing issues with that, so I'd be willing to forgive it.  But 4Kids' sound direction has always been abysmal, so it still gets points off from me lol.

I'm thinking there might be some licensing issues with that, so I'd be willing to forgive it.  But 4Kids' sound direction has always been abysmal, so it still gets points off from me lol.

One of the things 4Kids did that was the worse was when they edited the episode where Tails has to shoot the beam to save the galaxy. but doesn't want to because of the fact Cosmo will be killed as well. It was such a great emotional scene, which had Tails admits his love for Cosmo and breaks down into tears as Eggman and the others try to comfort him but tell him there's no other choice. 

In the 4Kids version, he doesn't have the breakdown, the scene is edited, and he just says ''I can't do this to one of my friends!'' rather than admitting he loved Cosmo.

Edited by Ryannumber1gamer
  • Thumbs Up 2

One of the things 4Kids did that was the worse was when they edited the episode where Tails has to shoot the beam to save the galaxy. but doesn't want to because of the fact Cosmo will be killed as well. It was such a great emotional scene, which had Tails admit his love for Cosmo and break down into tears as Eggman and the others try to comfort him but tell him there's no other choice. 

In the 4Kids version, he doesn't have the breakdown, the scene is edited, and he just says ''I can't do this to one of my friends!'' rather than admitting he loved Cosmo.

Oh I have a full list of things that I hate about that scene in the 4Kids version.  Not the least of which is the fact that said missile somehow manages to revive Cosmo and her entire family, apparently, while simultaneously killing the Metarex.  Yes, restorative missiles.  I've heard about those in... well, nowhere.  Ever.

I would almost be willing to accept 4Kids editing out the romance between the two characters (though I wouldn't agree to it) because they're both portrayed as children, and that's an iffy subject.  But like... the romantic subtext (with Tails falling on Cosmo in a romantic way in one episode) is still there.  So the inconsistency with it is more bothersome than the actual removal.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh I have a full list of things that I hate about that scene in the 4Kids version.  Not the least of which is the fact that said missile somehow manages to revive Cosmo and her entire family, apparently, while simultaneously killing the Metarex.  Yes, restorative missiles.  I've heard about those in... well, nowhere.  Ever.

I would almost be willing to accept 4Kids editing out the romance between the two characters (though I wouldn't agree to it) because they're both portrayed as children, and that's an iffy subject.  But like... the romantic subtext (with Tails falling on Cosmo in a romantic way in one episode) is still there.  So the inconsistency with it is more bothersome than the actual removal.

They didn't even do a good job with it. Back when Sonic X was on Jetix in the UK and I didn't have an clue it was a dub, I still knew Cosmo and Tails were meant to be in love. 

I don't really see the issue with it either. I don't regularly mention shippings on SSMB but Tailsmo was one of my personal favourites mainly because they did a good job with the romance between the two in Season 3. When I saw the original scene actually confirming that Tails loved her, I actually thought 4KIds were total fucking morons for taking out one of the most beautiful moments of the series. 

They didn't even do a good job with it. Back when Sonic X was on Jetix in the UK and I didn't have an clue it was a dub, I still knew Cosmo and Tails were meant to be in love. 

I don't really see the issue with it either. I don't regularly mention shippings on SSMB but Tailsmo was one of my personal favourites mainly because they did a good job with the romance between the two in Season 3. When I saw the original scene actually confirming that Tails loved her, I actually thought 4KIds were total fucking morons for taking out one of the most beautiful moments of the series. 

Yeah, even though I kind of think the context surrounding it was a little iffy, that one scene was really intense.  Lots of tension and atmosphere.  Not often do we see Tails so heartbroken that he has to cry on Sonic's shoulder, either.  That part actually had me tearing up.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, even though I kind of think the context surrounding it was a little iffy, that one scene was really intense.  Lots of tension and atmosphere.  Not often do we see Tails so heartbroken that he has to cry on Sonic's shoulder, either.  That part actually had me tearing up.

That was actually something that Sega couldn't even do. It showed Sonic was there for Tails when he needed him. When Tails was so broken, he needed someone to comfort him, and the fact that Sonic actually takes the time to comfort his little bro is pretty damn heartwarming.

For the Sonic adventure 2 adaption, you should watch episodes 33-38.

Isn't there a Sonic X topic here?

Thanks for all the replies guys! I never watched X and I dont really expect it to be good, but I'm a big fan of SA/SA2 so i'm pretty interested to see how they did it. Ok so I've written down the SA2 eps, but what number eps were the Sonic Adventure ones?

4kids could not erase Taismo if they tried, I watched reruns of season 3 as a kid and for no good reason the episodes surrounding them are some of the only ones I remember watching. I glad they didn't succeed, it sort of was the reason why I joined this fandom.

And if they're both 8 it's a bit funny considering the fact that Ash and Misty from Pokemon are both about ten years old.

In fact, didn't the dub still keep the "you're so beautiful" line? If they're going to erase a ship then don't do a half-butted job.

That was some 4kids level censorship on my behalf. Half-butted. What is wrong with me.

Edited by juliejo2001