Awoo.

Sonic Deserves to Die?

Faseeh

I'm going to make a biased top 10 video for clicks.

Given how Unleashed's Werehog gameplay was panned...

I'm mostly anxious that any 25th anniversary game, no matter how extensive it is, is going to have some gimmick that drags it down.

Generations did it right. It wasn't just nostalgia; they kept the design fairly simple. 2D fast platforming mixed with insane bursts of speed. It really isn't that difficult.

I mean, really, is there any incentive to care about these at this point? I mean, it's not like it's basically the same shit that's been posted by every internet blogger with no sense of self-awareness or individually or anything like that right? I mean, this is totally not just click bait to get people amped up for views.

Really, I'm just surprised that they think Assassin's Creed deserves to die more than Sonic does.

Just a PSA to let you know your thread's been merged with this one. In the future, when starting topics, be sure to check that there's no other same or similar topic on the subject. :)

• Thumbs Up 2

I can't help but wonder if the "Unleashed/Generations" branch of Sonic Team have been silent since 2011/12 with the sole purpose of rethinking everything and crafting together a new angle on the series. Runners and Boom both feel like distractions. 

Unleashed and Generations share the same engine and developmental codename (http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=33853) but Generations literally only share an artist with Unleashed (Sachiko Kawamura) so I have no idea why people think that Unleashed and Generations were made by the same team.

Not like there isn't room for improvement, or that there's any dignity left to save by killing the franchise. 

This video said that "Sonic series deserves to die". Vidio makes a public opinion and generally, the more number of views, the faster and wider spread speed and range of the public opinion. Since people started to recognize that "Sonic series deserves to die" via the video, the public opinion will be made and spreaded to other people, and eventually, this video deteriorates Sonic Series reputation Even if that video (Sonic series should die) is uploaded, if non-popular youtuber uploads the video or few people uploads the video, It doesn't really problem. However, many videos, magazines, and other media claims that Sonic should die. In this situation, If they upload the video that includes "Sonic should die", definitely, people will think "oh! Another Sonic should die video. Wow Sonic is reallu bad franchise" Hmm... people on this site disagree with video as I expected. Yeah, It's Sonic fansite. However, even if fans say "this video is wrong", people will ignore that opinion because fans are biased. So. It's no use that saying "This video is wrong" TL:DR - Another Sonic should die video. -1 Sonic series reputation.

It might seem petty, but "deserve" seems like an awfully strong world when talking about killing entire franchises off - because that would somehow put it on level ground with other IPs that are toxic right down to the core, like annual FIFA games that change literally nothing besides rosters, or games that enforce always-on DRM on singleplayer games, or hell while we're at it, the dozens of Greenlit Steam titles that are built entirely with bought or stolen assets. Nobody will argue that Sonic hasn't seen better days, but the franchise hasn't pushed anything malicious on anyone - it is, at worst, merely misguided, and for that the franchise itself isn't the problem so much as the many hands responsible for maintaining it and their methods for doing so.

So you'll have to forgive me if I call out this line of thinking as completely fucking juvenile and immature as a result.

• Thumbs Up 7

It might seem petty, but "deserve" seems like an awfully strong world when talking about killing entire franchises off - because that would somehow put it on level ground with other IPs that are toxic right down to the core, like annual FIFA games that change literally nothing besides rosters, or games that enforce always-on DRM on singleplayer games, or hell while we're at it, the dozens of Greenlit Steam titles that are built entirely with bought or stolen assets. Nobody will argue that Sonic hasn't seen better days, but the franchise hasn't pushed anything malicious on anyone - it is, at worst, merely misguided, and for that the franchise itself isn't the problem so much as the many hands responsible for maintaining it and their methods for doing so.

So you'll have to forgive me if I call out this line of thinking as completely fucking juvenile and immature as a result.

:o I didn't know that "deserve" is strong word..... By the way, Sonic series didn't do malicious things? I disagree. Selling Sonic 06 and Sonic Boom which is one of the worst game in each generations Itself is malicious things. Tbh, I think they did hoax to customers.

I can certainly understand why people would say Sonic deserves to die. The series has been terrible for over 20 years by this point.

But it would be silly of Sega to kill Sonic off. He's still commercially viable; Sonic Boom is a pretty popular TV show. 

Screw them, for NOT putting Call of Duty and Need for Speed on the list. CoD should be #2 even.

need for speed would have yo be alive before they could kill it tbh.

Although I wouldnt mind a revenge killing for NFS murdering burnout and wearing its skin

• Thumbs Up 2

I can't help but wonder if the "Unleashed/Generations" branch of Sonic Team have been silent since 2011/12 with the sole purpose of rethinking everything and crafting together a new angle on the series. Runners and Boom both feel like distractions. 

Well, whatever it is they're doing they seriously have to prove themselves and convince people that they have finally created a Sonic game that truly pleases everyone. 25th Anniversary is a pretty big deal, maybe even more so than 20th, they can't afford to screw this up!

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, whatever it is they're doing they seriously have to prove themselves and convince people that they have finally created a Sonic game that truly pleases everyone. 25th Anniversary is a pretty big deal, maybe even more so than 20th, they can't afford to screw this up!

The problem is that that's impossible, there are way too many different views by people in and outside the fanbase of what a Sonic game needs to be to be good.

Like Jim said in the Jimquisition, Sega's inability to keep the identity of the series consistent is what doomed it. Sega have dug themselves into a hole they're never gonna be able to truly get out from. No matter what they do, at least half of the gaming community is not gonna like it.

Edited by pppp
  • Thumbs Up 1

considering it's going to be five years since their last game in 2016, I'm hoping they've cooked up something good.

But back on topic, it's really no surprise that the idiots at Gametrailers are shitting on Sonic  yet again. Although it is pretty irritating.

Eh, same nonsense about Sonic. Though, I'll be honest, at times I almost wish they WOULD pull the plug so I can go, "I'm free! I'm finally free!" But thing is, I don't want the series to die, I want it to improve... I just think they won't.

Almost tempted to watch the video since it listed Saints Row in there. Don't like the new direction that series went in. But don't want to give them anymore views.

SEGA knows that they can't possibly please everyone since the Boost formula is so different from the Adventure formula, so I think they're just ignoring the fans and just make what Sonic Team wants.

If Sonic Team screws up this game though, Sonic's gonna die on the spot.

Oh my God. This is beautiful. Guys, look!

Yes, police? I'd like to report...

shots-fired.jpg

Edited by Captain Candle

Honestly, I think we should file a claim for arson. Because they just got BURNED, BABY!

(I hate myself for typing that now)

I just watched the GT review of Generations (which, being a very positive review for a modern Sonic game, is certainly refreshing), the extra challenge missions were not a complaint of their's. If anything, they liked it. They said it added replay value, and that while completing a few was required, there was enough variety that it never presented a problem.

They're essentially reaching for a reason to shit on Generations.

Seriously, whoever's running the GameTrailers' Twitter should just stop, he's coming off as quite the passive-aggressive anti-Sonic fanboy at this point. It's quite obvious that this guy is being buttmad that Aaron curbstombed him at comebacks.

Oh my God. This is beautiful. Guys, look!

I'm surprised at the number of favorites and retweets that tweet got. I wouldn't want it to be a habit for Sega to respond when a website criticizes Sonic, though.

And GameTrailers didn't say Sonic Generations was bad. They were saying it's delusional for people to think Sonic Generations being supposedly means Sonic shouldn't die. As far as GameTrailers is concerned, it doesn't matter how good Sonic Generations was; they still think Sonic should die.

Edited by Diesel