Awoo.

Best Video Game Music

GOAT

So before the crash, on the old SSMB I made a topic about the best video game music out there. My goal was to see what other posters (besides myself and my group of friends) deemed the best video game music. I wanted to find a good variety of opinions and just find any hidden gems out there that I was missing. I started working on a personal project of mine; to create the greatest playlist of video game music ever assembled. I started out with my favorites like music from the Sonic, Halo, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Warcraft etc and I eventually ended up making a couple of playlists. Here they are for any of you to enjoy.

Here is my original "Best Video Game Music" playlist, but it sort of turned into the best/chill vgm out there. It just got to 686 videos!

I had to make a separate one for the Sonic music because there was just too many good ones out there. Here are my all time favorite Sonic gems.

For my 3rd playlist, I created an ambient video game music list. Any music that is just super chill/relaxing. I know you guys know some!

Anyways, I hope you enjoy the playlists I put together. Its taken a lot of hours and searching to create these, and I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. Also, if you have any video game music you think I should add to any of the playlists, LET ME KNOW! I want to make these as extensive as possible! :)

Wind Waker's staff roll. Fantastic music to end off a fantastic game. I really, really want to play the game again, I haven't even gotten Wind Waker HD yet due to me not having the money to do so, but the minute I do I'm nabbing this game and reexperiencing it for myself. On the topic of the music, it's just so gorgeous in terms of instrumentation, and a perfect medley of themes throughout the game.

Edited by Felix
  • Thumbs Up 2

This is a huge biggie for me.

The entire Ori and the Blind Forest soundtrack is beautifully orchestrated and is really powerful. There are tracks in here that are bone-chilling intense, but it's such a beautiful soundtrack. If I had to pick a track, it would be the credits roll in the game.

There's also Sonic After the Sequel's soundtrack, which is downright catchy and energetic. This is the kind of energy I want to see in a new Sonic game, and almost all of the tracks are my favorite. 3-17 is my personal favorite, although there are tons of really great tracks here. Hands down one of my favorite OSTs ever. Falk and his music crew really outdone it with the music :D

• Thumbs Up 1

I completely forgot about Sonic After the Sequel's soundtrack. Almost every track is a gem.

Also, thanks for the suggestions guys, keep er going!

Edited by GOAT

If you'll ever have time - listen to soundtrack from both games. Tracks like Monomi's or Monokuma's Lesson, Box 15, Beautiful Ruin, Main Theme, Dive Drive, Hyper Ultra P.T.A., New World Order,  Distrust, Beautiful Dead, Welcome to Despair Academy, Super Final M.T.B., 

Trial Undergrou-okay, I may be fangirling a bit too much, but still. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just recently added about 20 new tracks to the playlist. Some Xenosaga, Banjo Kazooie, Nights into Dreams, Pokemon, Chrono Trigger and much more tracks. Enjoy!

Edited by GOAT

When it comes to the best video game music, the first soundtracks that pop into my head are:

The Muramasa: The Demon Blade:

Okami:

Bastion:

and some of Phantasy Star Online Episode 1&2:

No doubt I'm forgetting something, but these are the ones that I find the most memorable (Sonic aside).

Edited by Pawn
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Love me some videogame music. To present all my favourites would blow this post a bit out of proportion, but I can think of two good examples right off the bat.

First, the whole Kingdom Hearts Franchise:

Loving the musical style of those games so much, those orchestral sounds with it's beautiful pianos and violins are just amazing, especially in the hectic boss fights. Yoko Shimomuras best work for sure, in my opionion. 

Secondly, the boss battles of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

It's loud, it's kickass and it pumps you up for an epic fight. One of the many reasons why those bossfights are some of the most spectacular I've ever played in a videogame. Really wish we would get a successor of this game sometime, only because this would also mean we'd get some really shiny new boss tracks of the same awesome style. 

I dunno why but early Capcom fighting games have such a great soundtracks that give it such amazing feel. I do wanna focus on one game since I could go on forever about Darkstalkers. The game I have in mind is the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure game they made, and yes its a licensed game based off the manga series.

Starting with Jotaro's theme, its a manly yet heroic theme that wails out strength, compassion, and hope; things Jotaro stands for. They really made his theme really stand out and its rather fitting.

Kakyoin's theme is a bit more quiet and calm reflecting on his character. Its catchy and inspirational at times.

And there's Joseph's theme. It reflects on his easy going, trickster nature. It also gives a vibe of adventure to it as Joseph has traveled across the world several times, even saved it once in Battle Tendency. Needless to say they hit the nail on the head.

That's all I'll post from this game for now. Its just so amazing how they made such fitting themes from just having a manga and a OVA out at the time. I don't know how they did it but its just so crazy how Capcom made themes so good.

Same series but a later game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3224wzscUA

Jotaro's theme is back and its just as rocking as the Capcom game was. I don't know why but Jotaro has some amazing themes.

I do wanna give a special mention to Johnny's theme. It fits the western theme of Steel Ball Run while being in low key, representing Johnny's cynicism and dark determination. Ps. I can't find a short version of it.

Oh now I wanna post Melty Blood now! Sheese I swear the series has my favorite osts of all time

This is seriously the theme of the happy go lucky vampire Arceuid. Its so gosh dang METAL for her and I love it so much.

This is also the most catchiest theme of the bunch. Its too rhythmical.

This is also a nice track too.

Another catchy track. I love the title of it too.

I think at this point I might as well post the track list.

Even the character select screen is gosh damn catchy! I think Melty Blood has my favorite OST in general now.

One last Melty Blood track because there's something that will make the next track much better

Its a nice vocal theme but it becomes better when it goes to...

I seriously listened to this track for /hours/ that's saying a lot.

Anyways I'm done posting links. Enjoy the music!

I've been listening to this song for as long as I could remember and I never get tired of it. Something about it never gets old. It's even my ringtone