Awoo.

Dragon Quest XI: In Search of the Departed Time (2016, Japan) (PS4/3DS/...NX?)

Marcello

SHIJKrI.jpg

So, yesterday Squar-Enix had a Dragon Quest presentation where they ended up announcing DQXI.

Just announced during their official live stream! You can check out the entire presentation here.

Update - Dragon Quest X and XI announced for the NX. Megaton?

• Two different games with the same story similar to Ni no Kuni.
  • Both games slated for 2016 release to coincide with series 30th anniversary.
  • The two games will still have the same core staff working on them.
  • Is being made for the PS4 and 3DS (probably New3DS)
  • DQXI is also coming to the NX (probably the PS4 version?)
  • PS4 version is developed with the assistance of Orca.
  • PS4 version runs on UE4
  • PS4 version is open(-ish?) world. Similar to DQVIII
  • 3DS version is developed with the assistance of Toy Logic.
  • 3DS Version presents a classic 2D Sprite style on the bottom screen.
  • 3DS version will have 2D sprite battles + random battles when playing with the D-Pad and 3D battles when playing with the circle-pad.
  • Release targeted within the 30th anniversary year for the series, so within the fiscal year starting April 1st, 2016 and ending March 31st 2017.

They start talking about Dragon Quest XI here: https://youtu.be/5Kgmb_k3q5U?t=59m50s

Some gifs:

0gyMXJo.gifPehM23P.gifegyVXhp.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/ynnSDkZm.png

I'm no a big DQ fan or RPG fan for that matter, but I really like the 2D/3D mix of the 3DS version. The PS4 looks gorgeus.

Edited by Marcello
  • Thumbs Up 2

I absolutely adore the look of the 3DS Version. The 3D Models on the top Screen and the 2D Pixels on the bottom along with the fact that the battle screen changes as well depending on which control method (circle pad or Stylus) are just a absolutely wonderful idea, especially when you consider that it's DQ's 30th Birthday - it just seems like the perfect celebration. Seriously, I can't stress enough how much I love this idea. The PS4 is really gorgeous and stunning and I love how it Looks, too, but yeah, the 3D/old School Mix of the 3DS Version just strikes a chord with me.

Sadly, I have almost zero faith we're ever going to get the game. We still haven't seen X, or any of the half a dozen 3DS games Japan got, so I really have no reason to be hopeful for a western release. I'd love to be proven wrong, of course.

• Thumbs Up 1

They later backpedalled slightly on the NX aspect to state that such a launch was "under consideration."  No indication of whether the NX version would be the PS4 or the 3DS version, probably as that would give the game away as to what NX even is.  Of course, by the time the game reaches the west, the NX will probably be out anyway, given the company's recent record on Nintendo Dragon Quest localisation - this is, what, the eighth or ninth 3DS Dragon Quest game with no western localisation announced?

I really, really like the way they've handled the 3DS version, with the lower screen minimap basically being a whole 2D version of the entire game, so it's kind of an updating of both the 3D and 2D sides of the series.  It's kind of a shame they won't be able to do much with that in terms of actual interaction, given that the story and thus presumably setting and much area design is shared with the PS4 version, but there could still be ways of having the 2D and 3D screens complement each other - the one revealing secrets that the perspective of the other wouldn't show, for instance.

Edit: Might be worth noting on localisation that they apparently accidentally let slip that DQVII and VIII were coming to the west a little while ago.

Edited by FFWF

I absolutely adore the look of the 3DS Version. The 3D Models on the top Screen and the 2D Pixels on the bottom along with the fact that the battle screen changes as well depending on which control method (circle pad or Stylus) are just a absolutely wonderful idea, especially when you consider that it's DQ's 30th Birthday - it just seems like the perfect celebration. Seriously, I can't stress enough how much I love this idea. The PS4 is really gorgeous and stunning and I love how it Looks, too, but yeah, the 3D/old School Mix of the 3DS Version just strikes a chord with me.

Sadly, I have almost zero faith we're ever going to get the game. We still haven't seen X, or any of the half a dozen 3DS games Japan got, so I really have no reason to be hopeful for a western release. I'd love to be proven wrong, of course.

As far as I know, the remakes do worse, so that's likely the reason they haven't come over. But, during Paris Game Week Horii allegedly said 7 and 8 were coming to the West.

X is an MMO, so I kind of get not releasing in the west. They were probablyworried about the sales due to it not being a traditional game in the franchise.

As for XI, I'm pretty sure the PS4 version basically exists to be localized, considering the sales in Japan.

Sorry, but after seeing countless DQ games being announced in Japan and us only getting a single one, which is a Warriors Game with relatively little text and thus low localisation cost, I really can't be hopefull anymore. I've been eagerly waiting for DQ X, the DQM Remakes, the DQ7 and 8 Remakes (and yes, I heard about what Horii said, but Im waiting for hard proof, 'Horii said it' is too uncertain for me) and some of the other spin-Offs, just to be waiting for nothing. I'm sorry if I come across as a negative nancy, but after five years of getting ignored by Squenix, Im simply tired of hoping for DQ games coming over here. The fact that Square Enix is like "We are considering it, just like past Dragon Quest titles" after giving us next to no games in the past 4 years or so doesn't help either.

Again, I'll be the happiest guy on earth in case it comes over, but I'm way past the Point of expecting it. I've been burned too much.

Edited by Thigolf
  • Thumbs Up 2

Expect the PS4 version to come over. Even Shu tweeted about it in plain english. Now that we're getting a proper successor to DQ8 I'll be glad to jump back into the franchise, tho I was going to give DQHeroes a shot regardless.

Game just got revealed at a very Japanese centric event and it's going to take a while until the western branch gets all the plans and PR materials.

Heroes' western release was only announced months after the game had already come out in Japan. They're slow like that, but it's coming.

The most recent reports state that the 3DS version won't play in 3D and 2D simultaneously for the whole game; rather, after the opening stages, it will only show one of them at a time, although you'll be free to switch between them whenever you want.