Awoo.

Revert forum/post search to previous IPB style?

goku262002

I'm not really a fan of this new forum and post search engine, bottom line its pretty sucky and backwards compared to the previous IPB version's search engine its far too simplified to a point where I can't even search for just topics only posts. I'm resorting to using google almost all the time to find anything here if its not recent.

Would it be possible to re-implement the older IP.Board 3.1.4 style post/topic search?

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm all for this too if it's possible that is. The search function has been so bastardized that unless Im missing something, there's no function to search status updates anymore.

Pretty sure you can't mix versions like that. You can only go on what extensions and options the current software gives you. 

Only way to alter it would be if the board gave different search options that could be enabled.

Pretty sure you can't mix versions like that. You can only go on what extensions and options the current software gives you. 

Only way to alter it would be if the board gave different search options that could be enabled.

Thats why I said "Style" I'm hoping some people of the IPB modding community or IPB boards themselves noticed this really gimped search and have some fixes or mods on hand.

Unless theirs a way to re-implement old code, because that would be cool IPB.

Topic searching (and prioritising of title matches when not searching topics) is in the works (link). From what I've read, the core of the search system is improved (it's a lot easier to maintain on my end, at least) and it's really just a case of adding capabilities and displaying results in a way that makes more sense to the user.

Status searching I've seen no mention of, but it may happen at some point in the future.

The unfortunate part of IPS' approach to this new major version is that they've decided to go back to a blank slate (first time they've done so - every major version previously, including IPB1 with its predecessor Ikonboard, has recreated the previous version's feature set and then developed on top of it) and have purposefully left out a lot of minor features to see if they were actually necessary in the first place. The idea being that, if the demand is there for one of them, they redevelop said feature. That, of course, makes transition more difficult for established communities like ours - the staff appreciated that this would be case, and if not for the multitude of issues we had with our IPB3 installation, we likely would have delayed the IPS4 update until a few of the gaps were filled.

But, we didn't, and now you get to enjoy inferior search engines :)

P.S. Awards coming back soon, promise.

Edited by bmn
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thank you for explaining BMN, does it look like complaints like mine here are in the high demands of reimplementation at IPB?