Awoo.

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle REAL HD

MrBlueWolf

Hello, my name is MrBlueWolf and im here to tell you about my idea. Basically what i want to do is change as many in-game textures as possible to actually make SA2B LOOK HD. One day i was just playing through the City Escape level and i thought to myself..... "hmmmm they say its HD, but these textures look exactly the same as the ones that were on the GC. Lets go check if someone else has done something about this......." and to my surprise, no one, i mean really no one had taken the game into there hands and done any changes (well deserved changes, in my opinion) so hell, why don't i pick this jem up and fix it myself? And so this project begins and i come here not to ask for help but to tell you all (lovers of SA2B) that your HD REAL HD remake of SA2B is being made and that i will put my soul into this project and try my best to deliver the game that we were promised but never received....

As the project proceeds i shall upload images of the levels and write logs about what has been changed (which you should be able to see in the level with your own eyes)

Cheers for the future of this game, i hope you like what i propose

Update 1.1:

Photos: Asphalt http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/MrBlueWolf/media/Screenshot 6_zpsqivejejo.png.html 

Trees http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/MrBlueWolf/media/Screenshot 5_zpsofdtsser.png.html?o=0 

Change log: - Tried a new texture for the asphalt, seems nice and you can't make out those square forms like before. Isn't as dark as the last tex. but it'll still do.

- I spent a while on Google and such trying to look for a decent tree and thank god i found one. This tex. goes well with the surroundings and feels right for City Escape.

Update 1:

Photos: Sidewalk  http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/MrBlueWolf/media/Screenshot 4_zpsuojr682v.png.html

Asphalt  http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/MrBlueWolf/media/Screenshot 1_zpsx0zxmovu.png.html

Trees  (you can see them in the asphalt screenshot)

Change log: - I made a custom texture for the sidewalk, it looks decent and looks better than the original

- Changed the trees, they look a bit out of place so im probably gonna change them

- Tried to make the asphalt on the road look better (darker) and contrast more with the surroundings....... i failed. il try to find a better replacement

Edited by MrBlueWolf
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you're modding the PC version you won't get far, at least from my experience. SA2PC uses compressed DDS archives that reduce image quality to shite, and if you try to make the archives too large (as proper HD textures would require you to), the game crashes. 

Though if you've already made progress, I'm certainly interested! It's a solid idea, and there's always the chance I missed something.

It MIGHT be possible on the Dolphin emulator though. Not sure. I vaguely recall texture packs being a thing there.

Edited by Tracker
  • Thumbs Up 1

For the moment I've just been testing the waters... for the moment it seems easy enough to switch .dds files (apart from the fact that im making custom textures EX: sidewalk texture that il be uploading a screenshot of), im excited and nervous at the same time and im hoping that il be able to back my word and come forward with something we'll all love. The .dds files are a bit of a pain in the butt having to decompress and compress every time i want to check out something i changed, but hey the harder it is the better....

Thanks for the support and il try to update as many times as possible (so then ppl don't think this is a dead thread)

Edited by MrBlueWolf
  • Thumbs Up 1

Currently im looking into the different compression values and algorithms, which would make the textures look better and which will degrade there over all quality. for the moment im set on trying to use X8R8G8B8 compression with mipmaps, looks better than DXT1 and onward. I'm also gonna be switching from Paint.net to Photoshop, so im hoping to do a lot more in much less time.

Sincerely, MrBlueWolf