Awoo.

Rising Thunder - F2P Fighter by Seth Killian! (PC)

Remy

SO Recently I got a key for Rising Thunder, and after playing it I actually really like it.

What is Rising Thunder? 

rt_logo.png

oooh logo

Rising Thunder is based on the premise that fighting games are too complicated. It takes too much time and effort to master the basics, the theory goes, which limits how many players have a chance to learn the game on a strategic level. And the solution here is to remove that first layer of complexity.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/20/8996977/rising-thunder-new-fighting-game-seth-killian

Essentially, It's a Street Fighter style 1v1 2D fightgam, where your various QCFs HCBs 360s, pretzels, dps etc are now single button presses, with MOBO style cooldowns. The general idea being that the motions we have been using for specials have become abstract and an unnecessary barrier to playing the actual fighting game part.

I was kind of skeptical but after playing it, I definitely think it works. Where you would normally have your 3 kick buttons in SF is now where your specials sit and your normals are just light/medium/heavy with various command normal attacks also. 

Rising-Thunder-4.jpg

My muscle memory is still kind of fucked from years of 2D games, I have to remind myself not to do motions when trying to fireball and some other weird stuff, I press CR.HP practically on reflex to anti air whenever I'm someone that vaugely looks like Ryu but in this game that nets you a sweep. But once I started letting go and doing things the rising thunder way, I'm having a lot of fun with it.

It's kind of liberating after only playing a few days to be able to do so much cool shit within the game. There's an FADC equiv. that lets you extend your combos by dashing or jumping (so it's like an ArcSys style cancel somewhat) and burning a little meter. It's actually really fun messing around with combo stuff because it's so intuitive. I'm not so keen on FADC uppercuts to make them safe tho killian probably knows better than me.

It also might seem kind of BS that you can do SPD style grabs or dragon punch reversals with one button, but the MOBA style cooldowns make spamming powerful moves a very bad idea. You generally want to save them for when they're actually going to hit as the cooldown leaves you wide open. 

Rising-Thunder-2.jpg

There are also some neat ideas based around not being able to see the other player's screen. There's information that is hidden from you about your opponents cooldowns that leaves you to kinda guess whether you're safe from DP hell or not, and a character that can turn invisible to your enemies but not you, like reptile only much better implemented. I really like these ideas on not knowing everything the other player does- reminds me a lot of card games and allows for some bluffing style stuff to go on. I hope they play of the asymmetrical stuff more with future characters. 

The netcode is apparently the very latest version of GGPO and it's also very very good. Even though this is a limited alpha and there's a small player base, I rarely ever have to wait for long and the only lag games I've had are extreme cases, otherwise it's basically perfect.

If you're interested in fighters you should definitely try to check this game out. Especially if your big dumb hands fuck you up and are stopping you from going to EVO. 

Edited by Remy
  • Thumbs Up 4

Talos' anti-air grab hitbox is Satsuki level ridiculousness by the way

LOL. I suppose it is. 

08-623c.png

Man I haven't thought about melty in the longest. That unearthed ancient memories.

still feel Talos is kinda not that good tho 

• Thumbs Up 3

I have two codes to give away too since I signed up. Hit me up if you want in. 

EDIT: All gone to N8te and Klonoa. 

Edited by Athena Cykes
  • Thumbs Up 1

So I played the game, and boy did I get my ass kicked so hard

I really like it's premise. You take away the surface of complexity that makes fighting-games a struggle to get into, but make everything from there on out difficult to master. I knew all of my moves and sort-of exactly what I was doing. While I wish the controller support improves, it's also very playable on keyboard, and that is something I know a friend of mine would freaking love.

That said, I really suck at the game. I'm guessing its' because despite how much I like fighting games I'm more of a spamming guy regarding specials. It'll take awhile before I finally stop pressing the special buttons thinking they're attack buttons :P

I got into the alpha. Is there any resource online that can teach me how do do things? Cause like the game has no tutorials or anything. I saw people puling combos online that I couldn't comprehend how to do. 

Looks pretty sweet actually. I like robitz alot and I never really got into fighting games much since I feel like I didn't have the time or patience to learn all the things, let alone get into it competitively. The deal about it breaking that barrier sounds really appealing actually and might have to try this later today, thanks for the heads up on this one~

The alpha is available to everyone now.

Bear in mind the specs needed:

MINIMUM
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad, 2.8 Ghz or AMD Phenom X4
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: Radeon HD 7770 or Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Hard Drive: 4 GB available space

RECOMMENDED
Processor: Intel Core i5, 3.4 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 760
Hard Drive: 4 GB available space

I'm pretty sure that canceling a DP doesn't make it that safe, and going in with that setup right now means you can't break combos, and I'm also pretty sure (though by no means definitively sure) it doesn't enable umeshoryus. I need to figure out how I want to map this game's controls.  I feel like actually doing this on a stick would have me losing track of where my hands are.  I should probably use my fightpad.