Awoo.

4chan leaker posts things about Sega

Badnik Mechanic

I don't think that what the leaker said deconfirms a Sonic game for next year. He only said that he doesn't know of one, it's possible that information has not been passed down to employees of his level yet. I would be very surprised if we did not get a Sonic game next year, Sonic has been a yearly thing in recent years so we are bound to get something, and I doubt that they would just release any old 'something' for the 25th anniversary, a milestone which they can capitalise the hell out of. 

That "Konami in disguise" comment doesn't surprise me at all though, and we already had indication from job reviews that the work environment at SoA was terrible. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I don't believe it. As was already said, if it was a new game, Sega of Japan would be handling it, therefore, it only makes sense that Sega of America would be working on Sonic Boom because that's pretty much their spinoff version of Sonic while SoJ is working on the main series. On top of that, I fail to see how Sega ''not having plans for Bayonetta 3'' works. To my knowledge, they published the first game but then wouldn't publish the second, leading to Platinum having to get Nintendo to fund and publish the sequel, so therefore, wouldn't it only make sense that Sega wouldn't have plans for another sequel, when they aren't even handling the series anyway?

Plus the fact that Sega wouldn't do anything for the 25th anniversary just seems a bit too far fetched. They're pretty much known for throwing out a game for anniversary years, even rushing them, like they did for 06. The thing that's making me feel a little better about the 25th anniversary though is the fact that apart from Runners, a small mobile game, Sonic Team's been out of action since 2013, and Sansaru are handling the Sonic game this year, which makes me believe Sonic Team spent the last few years working on something for the 25th anniversary. Of course, that's just what I think, but it seems a little silly that in 3 years, Sonic Team haven't been doing anything apart from a mobile game.

Edited by Ryannumber1gamer

I think the guy may be legit, but I definitely have no doubt that we're getting a new Sonic game next year. He just doesn't know of one since, well, he's at the lowest level possible. Of course he's not going to know anything.

Yeah, I don't believe it. As was already said, if it was a new game, Sega of Japan would be handling it, therefore, it only makes sense that Sega of America would be working on Sonic Boom because that's pretty much their spinoff version of Sonic while SoJ is working on the main series. On top of that, I fail to see how Sega ''not having plans for Bayonetta 3'' works. To my knowledge, they published the first game but then wouldn't publish the second, leading to Platinum having to get Nintendo to fund and publish the sequel, so therefore, wouldn't it only make sense that Sega wouldn't have plans for another sequel, when they aren't even handling the series anyway?

Plus the fact that Sega wouldn't do anything for the 25th anniversary just seems a bit too far fetched. They're pretty much known for throwing out a game for anniversary years, even rushing them, like they did for 06. The thing that's making me feel a little better about the 25th anniversary though is the fact that apart from Runners, a small mobile game, Sonic Team's been out of action since 2013, and Sansaru are handling the Sonic game this year, which makes me believe Sonic Team spent the last few years working on something for the 25th anniversary. Of course, that's just what I think, but it seems a little silly that in 3 years, Sonic Team haven't been doing anything apart from a mobile game.

Halo Wars 2 practically confirms that this guy is legit. There is absolutely no way that anyone could have guessed that there was going to be a Halo Wars 2, let alone developed by Creative Assembly and published by SEGA. As I said, just because he doesn't know about a new Sonic game doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be a new Sonic game. He's a QA tester, not a higher up.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Halo Wars 2 practically confirms that this guy is legit. There is absolutely no way that anyone could have guessed that there was going to be a Halo Wars 2, let alone developed by Creative Assembly and published by SEGA. As I said, just because he doesn't know about a new Sonic game doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be a new Sonic game. He's a QA tester, not a higher up.  

When I said I don't believe it, I was referring to the claim there was no new Sonic game next year. Alright, I'll give you Halo Wars 2. But how exactly is it that a QA Tester didn't know that Bayonetta isn't being handled by Sega anymore, especially when the second one caused such an uproar because Nintendo was publishing it and it would be exclusive? Sega published the first game and that was it. They wouldn't publish the sequel, therefore the series isn't even handled by them anymore, if anyone has a say in when a sequel is coming, it'll be either Platinum or Nintendo.

If SEGA decided to release a Sonic Boom game and no regular game on the 25th anniversary, I'd have to say they must be crazy.

That or actually rebooting the franchise.

I mean, based on the Classic Sonic discussion I doubt the 25th is going to be "Boom, Boom, Boom!" and probably a mixture of all three mainstream canon. There's always the chance the Unleashed and Colors teams alike won't release anything but that would be really odd.

Then again, it might be brilliant. Sonic games might actually be good again if you have 6 and 3 year dev cycles.

• Thumbs Up 1

When I said I don't believe it, I was referring to the claim there was no new Sonic game next year. Alright, I'll give you Halo Wars 2. But how exactly is it that a QA Tester didn't know that Bayonetta isn't being handled by Sega anymore, especially when the second one caused such an uproar because Nintendo was publishing it and it would be exclusive? Sega published the first game and that was it. They wouldn't publish the sequel, therefore the series isn't even handled by them anymore, if anyone has a say in when a sequel is coming, it'll be either Platinum or Nintendo.

SEGA still owns the rights to Bayonetta. Any new games would have to go through them.

Edited by Marcello
  • Thumbs Up 2

A guy on the lowest rung of the ladder saying he doesn't know of anything doesn't really confirm much.

But, sadly, I wouldn't be too surprised if they didn't have anything lined up.

• Thumbs Up 3

Why should he know about Sonic 2016? He doesn't know the game they will reveal at TGS neither. Probably he just knows things he had to know to do his job.

Also, if there isn't a Sonic game by Sonic Team next year... what did they do the past few years? Unless SEGA quietly fired a big part of the Sonic Team staff there has to be a full fledged title in development.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Gamescom conference just happened, so that's where this sprialled from to begin with... unless you knew that.

I wasn't aware of it - was just posting the tweet in the topic as a relevant source. :)

Lol, I remember this guy when he was hinting at a Sonic Boom 2 TBA, back at the end of May this year before E3, (made the Fire & Ice announcement a little easier to handle) but yeah the guy's a QA tester, he wouldn't know anything about an unannounced Sonic game for 2016, since I'm guessing he's pretty much only allowed to play test games close or already announced in this case Sonic Boom Fire & Ice.   

Edited by -Ace-

I wish he talked more about the environment than future plans. I'm a filthy slut for video game industry gossip

Good to know that Sony actually pedal'd SEGA on Shenmue 3. And somehow I was expecting Sonic Runners to make a buck, first because Japanese people hate to sit in front of a TV, second because it is not Sonic Boom-related, so people are more tolerant to it.

About the work environment... Shit, wasn't Konami the only company enslaving their workers?

I'm inclined to take it with a grain of salt. I highly doubt that SEGA has had their super fancy triple AAA team that makes their most marketable franchise sit there and not do anything for years at a time. Runners doesn't count, because wasn't it heavily outsourced outside of Sonic Team? Either way, Lost World was a B-Team game wasn't it? That means we haven't had an A-Team game since Generations. Again, I just find it highly unlikely.

Why does that Sonic Render look like my profile pic?

bbb.thumb.PNG.cec01a775f7f7d7ebb14bcd446

Looks to me like his render from All-Stars Racing.

All%20Stars%20Racing%20-%20Profile%20Ren

Halo Wars 2

They might as well have thrown the production funding in the trash, it will do less harm to human life when not formed into such an abomination.

Halo Wars 2

They might as well have thrown the production funding in the trash, it will do less harm to human life when not formed into such an abomination.

the announcement of this bunch of coding has taken literal years off of my life 

• Thumbs Up 1

There can't not be plans for a new Sonic Game. I agree I think SoJ's handling that.

Also Sonic Runners making a fortune doesn't surprise me. That means the roulette's not going anywhere!

Oh Sonic runners makes a fortune... maybe. If it's true, It's a good news. Right?............. and... To be honest. Even If Sega didn't make a Console Sonic game(boom excluded) forever, I wouldn't be surprised.

That's a really backwards way of thinking, why? It's only been two years. That's like saying that you wouldn't be surprised if Mario didn't get another home console game because it's been OH JESUS TWO FUCKING YEARS SINCE MARIO 3D WORLD NINTENDO IS DYING GUYS THEY NEED TO SELL MARIO TO EA HOLY SHIT

• Thumbs Up 1