Awoo.

Playstation Vita Prototype Uncovered

Badnik Mechanic

So I was going to post this in the Vita topic when I read the headline... then I saw the machine and figured it was own topic material just on how radically different it looks.

It looks very much like an old PSP GO system and it has a few other changes...

• Swiping the back touch screen to move the home page up and down like in the browser,
  • SD memory card,
  • mini HDMI,
  • USB connector,
  • dual nubs
  • Mystery port appears to be a TV Out connection.

So most controversially, it looks like this thing was originally designed to use standard SD memory cards.... whoever made the decision to privatise that is a fucking moron.

How rare is this system? Well it turns out it has been 'leaked' before, only Sony issued a mandate to destroy all the prototypes when the final design of the Vita was decided upon so very few of these have survived.

• Thumbs Up 9

Man, its depressing when the prototype has features that should've been standard on the device. It's design is awful, but we know reviewers have a Vita with an HDMI port and the Vita 2000 uses mini-USB, so its design would've been unchanged if they kept those in. Imagine, instead of the Vita TV, which is limited in games it can play, we got a Vita with SD Cards as the memory, an HDMI port like the PSP to play the games on our TVs, and everything else it can do now with the PS4 AND priced at $200. The Vita would've probably done amazingly well on the market.

• Thumbs Up 2

A Vita with MicroSD support and HDMI out would have killed in the first year or so. Sales probably still would have fallen off a cliff after that, but at least they would have had some initial momentum. I mean, look at how crazy people were going about the 2000 when those internal design documents rumored it would have HDMI out.

That form factor also looks better than the final one simply because it uses space much better, but I'm guessing the sticks weren't anywhere near as good.

That PSPgo model of PSVita Prototype had more interesting features than its successor during its development, but yesterday, sadly, I heard that it had the overheating issue.

That PSPgo model of PSVita Prototype had more interesting features than its successor during its development, but yesterday, sadly, I heard that it had the overheating issue.

It makes sense with the form factor. The Vita's power needed way more space and breathing room.