Awoo.

Klaus

ElectricAngel

I'm surprised we don't have a thread about this yet. So, what is Klaus? Klaus is a new 2D animated film that tells the story of a postman who is sent off to a town to open a postal service. A rather simple concept, and on paper the idea might sound odd. However take a look at the teaser trailer below.

Looks gorgeous, doesn't it? This film is being made by The SPA Studios. They have staff there that worked on modern CGI films such as Despicable Me and Rio, as well as people who worked on 2D films such as Tarzan and Treasure Planet. Klaus will be a 2D/CGI hybrid in some sense. Though mostly 2D, some aspects such as the carriage in the trailer you just saw, will be CGI. 

I'm personally very excited to see this film. The animation is breathtaking, and I hope it will start a spark in a return to 2D animated films. The film is currently set to premiere at the CTN animation eXpo, which will be held this year in late November. It seems a bit soon, but their blog mentions it will get released there. I feel it's a wrong choice of words and that they'll present the idea to have a company distribute the film or something. The only reason I say this is because the last thing we heard on this film was that it was being financed.

So, judging by the teaser and the title, I assume it will be a sort of Christmas type of film, but not exactly, if that makes sense? It's very interesting how they set it up, that's for sure. In fact, it's probably one of the best trailers for a film I've ever seen. What are your thoughts so far, SSMB? 

Handy Links:
SPA Studios Website
SPA Studios Blog
SPA Studios Facebook
SPA Studios Twitter

Edit: Oh! And here's a nice interview with the creator of the film from Cartoon Brew! It's a couple of months old, but still very interesting! http://www.cartoonbrew.com/interviews/sergio-pablos-talks-about-his-stunning-hand-drawn-project-klaus-exclusive-113621.html 

Edited by ElectricAngel
  • Thumbs Up 8

That looks AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

It's bright, it's colorful, it's vibrant, and full of life. Character seems kinda neat, and sure it's a simple concept, but with a lot of heart and pure imagination it could become quite the spectacle. Color me intrigued. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Good god that animation looks gorgeous! I'm really liking the characters too! Is there any kind of general release date yet?

• Thumbs Up 1

Glad to see you guys are as excited as I am! 

Good god that animation looks gorgeous! I'm really liking the characters too! Is there any kind of general release date yet?

Well, like I mentioned in the opening post, late November (20-22nd) it will premiere at the CTN animation eXpo. In terms of a release date to the public, I'd guesstimate December if the movie is finished by November. You never know with films, there could be a delay. And again, this is just me guessing. No official word on it yet. We still don't know if it will be released in cinemas or if it will be just a Blu-Ray/Digital release. Hopefully the former, though. 

Whoa.

The main guy looks like he's straight out of Treasure Planet. The animation really looks nice too. And it was funny too! Definitely want to see this one.

• 3 months later...

Well, I feel kind of dumb now. :U They ended up only showing the trailer at the expo. Apparently the film's cinematic release will be in 2019. Should've expected it with a film as gorgeous as this one. I'd link the article but I'm on mobile now and I can't remember exactly what site it was from but I saw it a few days ago. I know they had it linked on the Facebook page.

Alright, here's the article: https://blog.toonboom.com/news-and-opinion/sergio-pablos-of-the-spa-studios-presents-klaus-at-ctn 

Edited by ElectricAngel