Awoo.

"Unsolicited" - free browser game from the creator of "Papers, Please"

JezMM

So, just in case word hasn't got around about this, thought I'd make a topic as I imagine many folks will be eager to know about it.

Lucas Pope, creator of popular indie title "Papers, Please" has created a new game that is sure to appeal to existing fans.  Another paperwork simulator - this one puts you in the role of someone who has to fill out junk mail with customer details before signing and sending each one off.

You can play it for free, in-browser, here. (Sound warning, game starts up immediately).

It is not as long or as deep a game as Papers, Please, by a long shot, since it was created in just 48 hours for Ludum Dare 33, but as you'd expect, there is more to it than initially meets the eye.  I partially decided to make a topic to see if anyone here uncovers any secrets or things from their own playthroughs, since I personally didn't find it quite engaging enough to go for a second playthrough myself after seemingly finishing it.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JezMM

• Nepenthe

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw your post on this in Tumblr last night and played it myself. It was fun, for a paperwork simulator at least, if only for the challenge of trying to fill out every request before the ridiculous time ran out on the third stage (it's probably impossible). The only secret I uncovered is that--

If you keep telling the game you want to work after the government buys your office out, you will get a new job- filling out the death notices of officers in a sudden war to be sent to the respective families. It was uncomfortable, to say the least. Not only do you have to read the details of each person's death in order to fill in the notices correctly and keep it impersonal, but the letter is very standard: it only tells families that their loved one "died in battle." Even though you're privy to their specific causes of death you're not allowed to fill in that information, mainly because most of it is disease and sickness as an implied result of the shitty conditions on the front (this is the 20s, after all). So not only are you telling these families that they'll never see their loved ones again, but you're effectively lying about it. It felt awful, particularly since I lost my dad not too long ago, so I can only imagine what the people who had to fill out his death certificate and others every day actually go through mentally and emotionally.

After you perform this job twice, you'll be sent back to the start of the game under the impression that the war is over and the mail company was allowed to be privatized again.

As a result of the above, if I ever play the game again, I'm going to quit when the quitting's good.

Yeah, I had the same experience as you.

I do wonder if there are any alternative endings based on your performance on the first few levels, but I get the impression that the concept that you might get alternate endings - like in Papers, Please, is just a red herring to make the war (an event that surely happens regardless of how you do on each level) more of a surprise.

Edited by JezMM