Awoo.

Until Dawn "I want to play a game"

Badnik Mechanic

untildawnvalentines.jpg

Platform: PS4 

Players: 1 (but you can easily turn this into a local multiplayer game)

Intro: Until Dawn was originally set to be a PS3 game, then last year it was announced that it was back after a bit of a development setback as a PS4 game. The game had a bit of a negative reception at first, many dismissed it as just a QTE game and as a bad horror title... However... it's actually REALLY good, at least according to a large number of critics and day 1 buyers. 

In fact it's so good that it's increasingly selling out, in Canada it's sold out nearly everywhere, even in the UK some suppliers are having trouble sourcing copies.

UntilDawnPSX-610.jpg

Story: A group of teens visit a remote mountain getaway when they quickly realise that they are not alone, stalking them is an insane killer. Who will survive the night? And who will die? Your choices decide their fate.

Choice & Consequence: The game offers a choice system, as you play the game you are given choices such as 'hide in the backroom' or 'lock the door' each choice plays out differently and has different consequences. Try to lock that door, the killer might get you before you can do it or maybe you'll buy yourself some time. Hide? Maybe the killer won't find you? Are you sure? 

Butterfly Effect: Aside from the choice and consequence, every choice impacts future choices and future parts of the game/story, each choice impacts future choices, some of these will be minor things, others will influence who lives and who dies. 

Length of the game: Around 8-10 hours for the first playthrough, however unless you use a guide, the game has TONS of replay value.

Is it actually scary?: Scary? Urm... depends, tense? Definately. 

This seems silly? Is it silly?: Silly? Not really, the game is aware of what it is, so it's not trying to be super serious, but it does make you feel tense despite some of the silly aspects of the game and actions of the characters. 

gt_massive-thumb_until_dawn_jp.jpg?

Can everyone survive?: Everyone can die, some can survive, all can survive, depends on you.

Controls: It uses traditional buttons, and an alternative control scheme uses touch and motion features.

Versions: 

rVL5MFg.png

Extended & Steelbook edition include an extra chapter, but no other differences. Though the steelbook is really cool.

Trailers: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjirR8hmhsY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NcF7EOnjow

Reviews:

Other: 

Since the sequence they showed at E3/Gamescom in which the audience decided the fate of the characters, this one has been on the back of my mind, however, now it's out many are calling this a sleeper hit and hoping that it gets a sequel, it's selling out in some countries and other retailers are reporting low stock due to demand. 

I'd really like to get this and try out, I think it's probably good for a laugh, especially if you have a local co-op parter to play it with.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, the reviews have been pretty good. The "Butterfly Effect" is an interesting concept.

Looking forward to giving this a go.

I was not expecting this to be that good, and it certainly seems like an interesting idea. I might purchase it for Halloween, seems like it would be a fun thing to play then.

Beat the game in a day. Took about 7 hours total *with restarts* to get the best ending. Not $60 worth but a very fun game overall still.  The story was great.

After watching a full walkthrough of this game, I want to try it out so badly for myself. Will definitely be one of the first games I get with a PS4. (I usually hate horror, so it's kinda awesome that they made me like this one)

Hopefully we get more games that use this butterfly effect concept in the future. I really like it(though the percentages really kinda break the immersion and fun of making your own choices to see what happens)

Mike is definitely my favorite character. Love the humor and attitude he brings lol. He seems like Nathan Drake but goofier. Was happy that the play through I watched had everyone survive. I'd definitely always want him to survive through. I hate horror stories where my favorite character dies like midway through. Finally I can now avoid this fear.(on top of that, Mike seemed like the most developed character that had the most focus and impact on things, so I'd consider him the main character.)

Edited by KHCast

I'm currently watching Markiplier's walkthrough of the game, and it looks to be pretty good.

First off, the facial animation is a lot better than it has right to be. Every now and again I'll complain about games not utilizing better blend shapes for their lip syncing and facial expressions where the end result is that things like the lips, cheeks, eyelids, and brows just don't move much, if at all, which is completely unnatural. I guess the devs here realized that the human face moves because this game has some of the liveliest facial animation I've seen on a game to date! There's still weird-ass things here and there when models don't blink their eyes or dart their pupils enough to look alive for some moments, but all and all when the animators are on their game you're gonna get some excellent performances. The characters themselves are great too in the way they are voiced, acted, and the way they interact with each other. Granted, a lot of them aren't particularly good people-- teenagers in a cabin and all-- but I can't say I've not been entertained by their relationships and found myself picking sides, which goes really well in further justifying this game's "butterfly effect" choice system.

I've also been given a shitload of legitimate jump scares, more than I expected. They're on the opposite end of the FNAF spectrum thus far, relying less on the build up of tension and dread and moreso catching you off guard when you least expect it such as during normal gameplay moments and actions. I understand people don't like those kinds of scares, equating them to startles versus more classical horror, but on me they've been plenty effective, but I'm a scaredy cat so take what I say with a grain of salt in that regard if that kind of stuff doesn't bother you. xD

• Thumbs Up 2

Bought the game Friday myself. Haven't had a chance to play it due to my living being preoccupied, but I'll have all the time I want next week. Can't wait to try it out.

Yeah, really enjoying Until Dawn.

There's plenty of jump scares and the voice acting is pretty good. The butterfly effect/choice system is fascinating. The graphics and environments look good on PS4. The whole totem premonition warning thing is neat. When I find one I'm trying to figure out what event/choice could lead to the premonition coming true, but it's really hard.

I also like the scenes when the man asks you questions; which objects/animals/people you prefer.

I'm up to Chapter 5. Out of the eight characters two have died so far. Jessica and Josh.

It was a choice between Josh or Jessica getting cut in half...............and I chose to save Jessica. Difficult choice. Of course all the choices in Until Dawn are difficult, which is what makes it so interesting.

I recommend it.

Edit: halfway through now. Up to Chapter 6 and it looks like poor Sam is a gonna.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hidden Content

Oops! Yeah, I meant Ashley. It's a good thing I chose to save Ashley when it was a choice between her and Josh, because Josh (well everything apart from his head) was just a dumbie. He didn't actually die.

I'm up to Chapter 9. Only two characters have died so far. 

So I played this just for shits and giggles at the GameStop Expo...

Umm... wow. I normally am not a survival horror person but this was an interesting enough thing I'll probably watch a playthrough even if I don't get it. I'm definitely interested, though not really in the best position to be buying games at the moment.

I like that it's a genuine "choice affects the story" game, unlike Telltale's sorry excuse for one with the Walking Dead (at least Season One), which really was "oh depending on what you do, these two's deaths get switched around! Yeahhhh! Choice!"

Edited by Ty the Tasmanian Ogilvie

I am watching Markiplier's playthrough, myself, episode by episode. Nepenthe lists up basically how I feel about the game. I love games with great atmosphere, where you have to think and really have to put yourself in the characters' shoes. I am watching the playthrough with headphones in the dark, and I have had a good few jumpscares that are really catching me off-guard. Combined with an interesting story development and my curiosity, these jumpscares feel effective and smart instead of uncalled for.

The game plays like an interactive movie at times, where you are forced to pay attention in case you have to quickly react by making a choice, and at other times you control the character while walking around and looking for clues, etc. so you never really know what to expect. You are always on your guard. I am impressed with how stunningly good everything looks and animates, and the cold, dark atmosphere is chilling to the bone!

QuietTheSniper also elaborates some on the butterfly effect and, not least, the whole totem deal. Receiving a glimpse about the future just adds to the tension and atmosphere, and you stress even more trying to make sense of it all, staying alive and really hoping to make the best of what seems like an impending slaughter. You are being rewarded with a marvelous horror experience if you manage to immerse yourself properly into this game. So far, I love it.

I so badly want to play this game myself, but it looks like it currently is exclusive to PS4. I do not want to have to buy the console for only one game. Perhaps I will start noticing more PS4 exclusive horror titles soon ... then we will see! If Mark uploads part eight today, I am going to watch that in bed tonight. Go, go, Markiplier - Make all the choices so we do not have to, and then we can blame you when you make a bad choice~

Well I was watching Markiplier but he's slow as molasses with his one video a day rule so I jumped ahead with other Youtubers and...

Holy moly. This was quite some project.

I loved how the horror tropes were intentionally played up and are handwaved as part of the plot.

I also like how at first it seems to be a Cabin In the Woods style multiple killers/monsters angle, but then it turns out there's only one set of real monsters.

It is kind of dumb that you need to want to go back to the lodge to avoid firing the flare and thus save Matt's life. What the hell, man?

I will say I can see why the game is so flexible now. Most of the real branching is saved for the very end.

I will say. They chose the perfect scene cuts for the expo demo. It shows some action without being too revealing of what's to come.

if you give the flare to Matt and not let Emily keep it, that will save his life. Unless you're referring to some other requirement lol.

Edited by Michael Munroe

Hidden Content

No, actually.

Unless you earlier on say that you prefer to go back to the lodge rather than the tower, Matt will fire the flare when he gets up on the tower and when it is given to him, leaving it empty when the Wendigo gets him.

It's kind of dumb, haha.

I guess the idea is that if he was against going to the tower in the first place he's less inclined to linger there, so he wouldn't fire the flare?

Hidden Content

Yeah, that's how I thought of it too. But man, there is no way in hell I would have figured that out on my first playthrough, though I suppose that's the point. Still, it just seems a little unintuitive never the less.

Not gonna lie though. Matt and Emily's encounter with the Wendigo was a good choice for the demo.

He gets killed as normal if he doesn't have the flare gun, setting up the brutality of later deaths and making the faked deaths seem more real.

If he does get the flare gun, the screen cuts to black right after he lands on the entrance to the cave, whether it's loaded or not. I guess they wanted to keep people with the full version on their toes.

I do somewhat question the sense of Jessica's possible death, though. Whether Mike moves fast or not, you get there and hear the same dialogue. But if you went slow, Jessica gets her jaw ripped off, being a nice and early first girl. I'd understand the idea taking longer leads to her death, but it would have made more sense to cut her dialogue in the death version of the chase.

I think the real brilliance is the false sense of security the game gives you for failure. Emily doesn't have to dodge the TV that falls towards her. It looks like Mike can't be killed by the Wendigo in the Sanitorium even if he fails the QTEs. I'm guessing the icicle of death doesn't actually hurt Mike and Jessica. And then you suddenly have Matt's cliff hanging and Jessica's kidnapping...

I am kind of curious why Wendigo-Hannah opts to kill or hinder other Wendigo at the end. I guess she wants them all for herself? I mean, even in the ending where Sam runs and Mike burns, a Wendigo leaps after her... and is about to get her, right before Hannah grabs that Wendigo and slams into a wall with it.

Hidden Content

Huh, that's a good question now that I think about it with Hannah Wendigo. Perhaps Hannah Wendigo was trying to stop the other Wendigo from eating her prey? 

There is one criticism I have for this game though, and that's Matt and Jessica's placement in the story. The two have little screen time, making their inclusion in the game feel pointless. I wish the two would have been involved more in the main plot somehow.

Hidden Content

I think that despite the open-ended gameplay, the idea was for both to die easily.

Jessica will die VERY easy unless you make the exact right choices, while Matt will likewise die easily if not for a simple pair of decisions. He doesn't even have the benefit of being murdered in his first possible death.

All the other characters benefit from Plot Armor until it turns out that the killer is a fake, but the shit going down elsewhere on the mountain is very real, at which point all deaths become real and very easy.

Thinking on it, it's actually brilliant that it's impossible for Mike to die until the very end. He's the one who humiliated Hannah.

It's especially noticeable if you are able to keep them both alive. They really just appear at the end with everyone else when they're interviewed.

I find it clever that keeping Josh alive results in his ending being that even though he's technically "alive", he's now a Wendigo.

As for Mike, it seems his only instances of death are if you blow up the door in the asylum without making the right choices beforehand, and the very end(which apparently is very hard to do.) It's pretty easy to keep most of the cast alive thanks to the percentages honestly.

Somewhat off-topic, but was I the only one to hear this...

After the plot twist that the monsters are real?

:P

It looks like he can't die even in the asylum. Even with a horde of Wendigo chasing him and failing every QTE. The dude isn't just wearing Plot Armor. He's a Plot Tank, LOL!

Yeah, the whole time I thought if I kept Matt and Jess alive they would have a "Big Damn Heroes" moment and save the others. That would have been awesome, but alas...

Do any of you have the Chapter 2 DLC? What's that about? Is it relevant to the plot? 

I decided to get this game because I got a free $25 PSN card.  It was pretty great and I want to do another playthrough of it. I now know that if I am ever in a horror situation with a group of people, I should not be the one to make the decisions...

we'd all die, all of us

Edited by Silencer226

A thought occurs.

Why do the Wendigo wait until the second year to have a bloody massacre? We saw that there were some on the mountain already in the Prologue... so why did they target just Hannah and Beth but otherwise ignore everyone?

It's kind of a gaping hole in the game's setup.

A thought occurs.

Hidden Content

I think I read somewhere that the Events of the Past answers that question. I'm gonna collect all the totems in the game and come back with you on that. Or you can view it on Youtube if you haven't watched it yet.

Actually, now that I think about it...

Couldn't it be because the Strange/Flamethrower Guy was keeping them at bay/protecting the teens? I think that's the most likely scenario.

Edited by kboyrulez12345