Awoo.

The Pokemon GO Thread: Coming to iOS and Android 2016

Inkling Cooper

It's hard to tell where exactly this is going to go considering how non-indicative of the gameplay the trailer was. 

But it's hardly worth going absolutely apepoop over, in a negative light at least. Initial reactions in the stream and on Gaf were ridiculously overblown with "POKEMON IS DEAD POKEMON IS DEAD THIS IS AWFUL". Anyone hoping some serious ill will to the idea as if it's replacing the main game series is... well, silly.  

It's just some phone game. Seems fun in concept, but I'll never get to play it. Data plans and all, you know.

Edited by Azoo
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's hard to tell where exactly this is going to go considering how non-indicative of the gameplay the trailer was. 

But it's hardly worth going absolutely apepoop over, in negative light at least. Initial reactions in the stream and on Gaf were ridiculously overblown with "POKEMON IS DEAD POKEMON IS DEAD THIS IS AWFUL" and anyone hoping some serious ill will to the idea as if it's replacing the main game series is... well, silly.  

It's just some phone game. Seems fun in concept, but I'll never get to play it. Data plans and all, you know.

Gematsu commentators were thinking the whole series was moving to Smartphones before the stream. Now THAT would've been awful. This is just a really neat app.

"Pokémon Go will link to the main games in some way"

This better not be important stuff for the games. I don't own a Smartphone or Tablet.

It could be that there may be a upcoming game that'll allow you to transfer the Pokemons you caught in the app. It's possible, seeing as Nintendo is looking at mobile to hopefully be some kind of bridge connecting to their games.

This is very interesting concept. It would be most people's dream come true to be a real life Ash Ketchum. If this is done just right it can be a pretty big hit. I might try it out myself.

1. Microtransactions are a thing

No surprise there. Regardless, this looks like a very interesting concept, and it has my interest. I'm looking forward to seeing more gameplay.

Okay, being a native New Yorker seeing throngs of people in Times Square all trying to catch Mewtwo was pretty cool. 

Man, if only if what was shown in that trailer actually was true; and by that I mean the sheer excitement of people actually going out in the streets to find those bastards

Edited by TCB

I can see micro-transactions being a totally optional thing, but enticing enough to make most people cough up the dough for them regardless. Like different types of Pokeballs with great catch rates, especially if there's an event happening to catch something. Maybe to a lesser extent but possibly battle items to give you an edge as well, but we'll see how faithful it is to the main games first. 

My big question is how the scale is to finding Pokemon. Like I live in Seattle for example. Is all of Washington state going to be a handful of Pokemon possibly found? Maybe just the west coast as it's dramatically different in landscapes compared to the east side of the state? Will Seattle itself hold different Pokemon than the neighboring cities? Or is it so minuscule that being at a local park here could grant me different Pokemon than say 2 blocks up the road?

I'm assuming more toward the latter since it's for a phone and people you know, walk and shit and that only takes you so far, but it's still a question kinda up in the air. In the same mindset, I do wonder if all Legendaries will be preserved for events like the trailer shows, where collectively planet earth needs to stop them/catch them, or will they be bold enough to hold some to some really hard to reach places to try and get people to travel. A mix of both would be really neat, but again we'll see. Just think it'd be neat to be able to go to some famous landmarks and locations to get something exclusive. Maybe the possibility of obtaining Pokemon with different attributes than normal like with an unusual move or a shiny?

The idea of this game is exciting and can't wait to try it out myself. Here's just to hoping my dinky iphone 4s can still handle it (as it crashes a lot on some modern games now lmao) 

I watched this trailer with my girlfriend, I'm not a big pokemon fan, she still likes it.

During the whole trailer I was like 'my god this looks amazing'

Constantly I was like 'this is so cool, I want to get this...' And when the battle stuff came up I thought 'you know, I don't care about the battling, I just want to collect them.' 

And then we got to the last 2 seconds where it pulled the big fuck you reveal.

The entire trailer makes the game look like it's going to be some kind of augmented reality type thing in which you capture pokemon, so your phone shows a pokemon playing or hiding in places.

The reality is nothing like that, which instantly made me go 'this is awesome day 1...' to 'day never'.

The trailer advertises itself as being a near 'pokemon in your world' the reality however is nothing like that. It's a total lie and fabrication. Frankly I don't know why anyone can defend this bullshit.

The promise: 

pokemon-go-1280jpg-9b26e5_1280w.jpg

The reality:

62OG2ag.png

This is beyond Ubisoft and Square-Enix levels of bullshittery.

That took an interesting turn.

I was starting to feel some hype, but I feared this. And my instincts were right. Come on, Nintendo, technology these days have the potential of MUCH more than this. And yet, this looks kinda low budget.

• Thumbs Up 1

I watched this trailer with my girlfriend, I'm not a big pokemon fan, she still likes it.

During the whole trailer I was like 'my god this looks amazing'

Constantly I was like 'this is so cool, I want to get this...' And when the battle stuff came up I thought 'you know, I don't care about the battling, I just want to collect them.' 

And then we got to the last 2 seconds where it pulled the big fuck you reveal.

The entire trailer makes the game look like it's going to be some kind of augmented reality type thing in which you capture pokemon, so your phone shows a pokemon playing or hiding in places.

The reality is nothing like that, which instantly made me go 'this is awesome day 1...' to 'day never'. Both of us felt this, we were so let down by what this trailer built up to the reality.

The trailer advertises itself as being a near 'pokemon in your world' the reality however is nothing like that. It's a total lie and fabrication. Frankly I don't know why anyone can defend this bullshit.

The promise: 

pokemon-go-1280jpg-9b26e5_1280w.jpg

The reality:

62OG2ag.png

This is beyond Ubisoft and Square-Enix levels of bullshittery.

To me this feels like the equivalent of complaining that the CG trailer for the game doesn't match the Gameplay. The basic concept is still there. You're still wandering around the real world to find and capture Pokémon and working together to take down Legendaries. The trailer decided to just represent that in a flashier way. It happens all the time. There might still be AR elements, since other Pokemon/Nintendo games have them, but they won't be THAT important to the actual game, which I'm kinda thankful. It sounds appealing in concept but I don't think people would enjoy it much of it was a reality. :U

To me this feels like the equivalent of complaining that the CG trailer for the game doesn't match the Gameplay. The basic concept is still there. You're still wandering around the real world to find and capture Pokémon and working together to take down Legendaries. The trailer decided to just represent that in a flashier way. It happens all the time. There might still be AR elements, since other Pokemon/Nintendo games have them, but they won't be THAT important to the actual game, which I'm kinda thankful. It sounds appealing in concept but I don't think people would enjoy it much of it was a reality. :U

So why should I not criticise it for doing that then? 

Also look at the trailer, it gives a radically false impression for everything.

A mass of people meeting up in one location to fight a powerful enemy? Try sitting in their rooms tapping the screen to take down an uber boss which is what it's going to be hoping their pokemon doesn't run out of energy.

A huge pokemon battle in the city between trainers? Nope, not gonna happen, though obviously this was always an exaggeration, anyone seriously expecting battles to be on that scale or that epic which is what was shown, but again, it gave the impression we would see pokemon actually making contact and fighting, however the screens shown don't seem to indicate this will happen.

Even searching for the pokemon, the impression the trailer gives is that there is some kind of AR tech involved given how the pokemon are literally right there in the real world, nope, not gonna happen.

To top it off, trailers like this should include a warning about how it's not representing or not gameplay footage, this one doesn't. 

But also, just try and justify this.

http://assets2.ignimgs.com/2015/09/10/pokemon-go-1280jpg-9b26e5_1280w.jpg http://i.imgur.com/62OG2ag.png

If the whole trailer used actual game assets, no way would this get anywhere near as much attention as it is.

tumblr_nuh7p9BYvc1qjx7iio1_1280.jpg

I mean, the concept is interesting, I'm guessing this watch thing has to be connected to play this game...

Found this on Tumblr by the way...

I mean, the concept is interesting, I'm guessing this watch thing has to be connected to play this game...

Nope, it's optional, it's mainly so you don't have to use your phone.

It's an optional thing apparently.

I believe the way it works is that you wear it and then it vibrates should you walk down the street and a pokemon is nearby.

So why should I not criticise it for doing that then? 

Also look at the trailer, it gives a radically false impression for everything.

A mass of people meeting up in one location to fight a powerful enemy? Try sitting in their rooms tapping the screen to take down an uber boss which is what it's going to be hoping their pokemon doesn't run out of energy.

A huge pokemon battle in the city between trainers? Nope, not gonna happen, though obviously this was always an exaggeration, anyone seriously expecting battles to be on that scale or that epic which is what was shown, but again, it gave the impression we would see pokemon actually making contact and fighting, however the screens shown don't seem to indicate this will happen.

Even searching for the pokemon, the impression the trailer gives is that there is some kind of AR tech involved given how the pokemon are literally right there in the real world, nope, not gonna happen.

To top it off, trailers like this should include a warning about how it's not representing or not gameplay footage, this one doesn't. 

But also, just try and justify this.

http://assets2.ignimgs.com/2015/09/10/pokemon-go-1280jpg-9b26e5_1280w.jpg http://i.imgur.com/62OG2ag.png

If the whole trailer used actual game assets, no way would this get anywhere near as much attention as it is.

Of course you can criticize it, but comparing something as common as a CG trailer to Ubisoft and Square Enix is laughable. I mean, sure, it's shitty, but it happens all the time. I don't get why this one is so outrageous.  

and like I said, AR technology is probably involved somehow. You've literally been given a two second snippet of the "Pokémon captured" animation. Don't start making assumptions.

I'll definitely going to give this a go though. And I'll continue to play it as long my friends join the fun. It's no fun and eventually get boring if you have no one to play this with.

This seems quite interesting to hear. I might give this a go once it releases, but I'm not sure if it'll require me to buy the additional poke´ tracker.

Maybe the main thing will be with AR technology, and the thing with the Charizard something similar to Pokemon-Amie? That would be cool.

I dunno, if the game were that reliant on AR to start with then I don't see any reason that they shouldn't be visible in the real world except when they're in a Pokeball. The thing about AR, though, is that cellphone cameras have no depth perception, so it's doubtful that they would ever be able to place them in a local environment as accurately as the ads portrayed. The 3DS needed two lenses to pull that off, and even then they still needed a card with an easily recognizable symbol to place characters in the AR environment.

Frankly I doubt there's any AR component to this game at all. Something about chasing blips on a GPS, likely, but nothing about actually physically seeing Pokemon in our environment. They are overselling the absolute shit out of this, and it's going to come back to bite them later when they actually have to show more gameplay-specific trailers.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Bump

This news has actually been out for most of the month but There will be gyms in the game along with teams you can join.

Not only that but Nintac really got creative on placing Pokemon. Some Pokemon will only be available depending on your environment (ex: Grass Pokemon in forests, water Pokemon near water, etc.). Plus, some Pokemon can only be found in certain parts of the world. Don't be surprised if you can only find Braviary in America.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The aimed released date according to E3 is gonna be the end of July.

There's also gonna be side accessory called Pokémon GO Plus wich will help you play the app without looking at the screen the entire time (through a combination of vibration, lights and button pressing). It's optional and it's gonna costa 34,99 $ (no news for the price of the actual app, if it'll have any).