Awoo.

The Splat: The best channel for 90's Nick since Nick in the 90's

Klinsy

So, let's say you're a fan of Nickelodeon's programs in 90's but don't want to stay up till 9 just to catch them and you can't afford the DVDs, what is one to do?

Here comes The Splat, a channel dedicated to 90's Nick, it's sorta like Boomerang used to be like.

Shows include Doug, Rugrats, Ren And Stimpy, Angry Beavers, Ahh! Real Monsters, Catdog, The Wild Thornberies  and presumably more.

So, what do you think?

I think I'll tune in every now and then, but I don't think it would be fun to watch it all the time. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Aw, that's cool!

*realizes that I'm in Canada and therefore, probably won't get the channel*

Aw, that's uncool!

I think someone was mentioning in the 90's Nick crossover thread that Nick needed a channel similar to Boomerang.  This definitely satisfies that perimeter, provided it can maintain a decent level of variety.

I hope that I'll be able to get the channel.  Would nice to have some tripe that I grew up with to watch when everything else that's on is tripe that I'm not emotionally attached to.

I really wish this comes to the UK, seeing as a lot of these shows are barely on anymore and haven't gotten DVD releases.

Edited by Ryannumber1gamer

I'm looking forward to this! I have to wonder though if the popularity of Nickreboot pushed them into making this channel since the original site is no longer around due to a cease and desist letter it got.

Given how The 90s Are All That block was the only reason people tuned into TeenNick thee days, I guess Nick's going to try and capitalize on that and replace TeenNick with The Splat now.

I'm holding mixed thoughts. This, along with the 90s Nicktoons movie rumor, seems more like a desperate gamble to keep in old Nick fans / the older generation through nostalgia shows, rather than a genuine attempt to preserve the 90s era / "golden era" of the channel on its own separate network. I'm also a bit weary as to how they will react if the channel isn't a immediate hit, i.e. they'll start making arbitrary changes as means to try and boost ratings. Specifically, engage in decaying the network's original purpose and then start stretching the word "retro" to its subjective might to the moon and back, to include more modern shows or shows that don't have anything to do with the network's intention--I say this because that's exactly what happened to the original Cartoon Network (though given we got in return out of that --Cartoon Cartoons, Toonami, etc.--, this by all means wasn't a bad thing), Boomerang, TV Land, and the like (though in their defense, as time goes on, what's considered "retro" ends up changing depending on the generation).

Some good things could come out of The Splat though. If the network (and by extension, its shows) are popular enough; maybe they might have the benefit to see a release on home video or be made available on streaming sites. Or in the case of shows like Hey Arnold, might be revisited to have long desired plot threads conclusively wrapped up (the promised-but-cancelled Jungle Movie). If they expand on the original channel purpose in a way that complements the original message, maybe we might see the channel blossom into more of a general network that celebrates the 90s era in general, rather than just 90s Nickelodeon. This could mean acquisitions of third-party shows (i.e. how WBA shows Tiny Toon Adventures, Animaniacs, and B:TAS showed up on The Hub before that was retooled into Discovery Family), films, or -heck, if possible- even anime from that decade to start showing up, which I think would give it a rather notable edge over competing networks and give it a reasonably longer channel shelf life.

Edited by Gabe

Fun Fact: The UK actually had a channel like this years ago called Nicktoonsters which focused mainly on the older Nicktoons, but it was shut down after a year or two sadly.

'm also a bit weary as to how they will react if the channel isn't a immediate hit, i.e. they'll start making arbitrary changes as means to try and boost ratings. Specifically, engage in decaying the network's original purpose and then start stretching the word "retro" to its subjective might to the moon and back, to include more modern shows or shows that don't have anything to do with the network's intention

This is essentially my worry as well, and Boomerang exemplifies exactly why this is a reasonable concern.  Like, I seriously can't believe the station that likes to capitalize on "Retro" cartoons plays shows as indisputably recent as Gumball and Teen Titans Go, and at times when those shows are also airing on Cartoon Network's main channel at the exact same time at that.  Here's hoping The Splat remains true to the intent of preserving older cartoons, but I'm not banking on that too much, considering Nick's odd marketing techniques in recent years.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think someone was mentioning in the 90's Nick crossover thread that Nick needed a channel similar to Boomerang.  This definitely satisfies that perimeter, provided it can maintain a decent level of variety.

I hope that I'll be able to get the channel.  Would nice to have some tripe that I grew up with to watch when everything else that's on is tripe that I'm not emotionally attached to.

I said that, and that's brilliant! But I think that this channel didn't hit my country yet :/ oh bollocks... Well, I'll wait. In the meantime, Netflix :U

This is essentially my worry as well, and Boomerang exemplifies exactly why this is a reasonable concern.  Like, I seriously can't believe the station that likes to capitalize on "Retro" cartoons plays shows as indisputably recent as Gumball and Teen Titans Go, and at times when those shows are also airing on Cartoon Network's main channel at the exact same time at that.  Here's hoping The Splat remains true to the intent of preserving older cartoons, but I'm not banking on that too much, considering Nick's odd marketing techniques in recent years.

I share the same fear as it's not the first time we've seen channel decay. It's even worse when a new channel is made for classic shows we want to see, but it put on a higher tier TV package that you have to pay extra for.

I share the same fear as it's not the first time we've seen channel decay. It's even worse when a new channel is made for classic shows we want to see, but it put on a higher tier TV package that you have to pay extra for.

The latter is the case with Boomerang and Discovery Family for me, which is a shame because those are the two channels I was looking forward to when I upgraded to DirecTV.  I'm hoping that it just replaces Teenick altogether at this point, since the 90's cartoons are the only thing it's good for at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Want to know when to catch The Splat?

It's coming October 5th at 10PM,

Fun fact: I actually used to have that CatDog plush, I didn't know they made one for Winslow though.

Ridiculous. Who the heck is going to stay up at 10PM to watch the 90 shows? You can do better than this, Nickelodeon.

Ridiculous. Who the heck is going to stay up at 10PM to watch the 90 shows? You can do better than this, Nickelodeon.

Teennick's The 90's Are All That block currently runs from midnight to 4 AM, so 10 PM is a pretty huge improvement.  Either way, that is only the time and day the channel will initially become active, not the only time that Nicktoons will be airing.

Edited by Tara

So The Splat is basically The 90s Are All That (a block), but under a new name and starting at an earlier time. From the way they were building it up, it seemed like a new channel was on the rise.

Oh well, at least its something. Maybe it can at least carve out its own little success story like the Toonami relaunch.

Where are we getting the idea that it's just a block?  Based only the fact that we have the time and date that the channel itself starts?

Where are we getting the idea that it's just a block?  Based only the fact that we have the time and date that the channel itself starts?

If it was supposed to be the launch of a new channel I'm sure the PR would had been more explicit in what it is, concerning the promotion/hype it has built up for it. It's otherwise been mostly vague.

Also, I don't recall any channel (new addition or replacement) having a designated time for when it launches. It usually just shows up at a certain date.