Awoo.

If Sonic was ever sold to another game company...

LadyBrightcynder

I'm going to have to agree with hogfather. If sonic was ever up for sell, Disney would be the best choice. That way the franchise will be increased in quality is all areas of the brand ( not just the video games) and the games won't be tie down to a first party company. 

Don't see that happening anytime soon but it would be the greatest thing to happen to the franchise in a long time. 

If the IP was up to sell, there'd genuinely be a race for it, I think. The IP may be in bad state, but it's still recognizable, it's easily milked for nostalgia ("hey gamers, Classic Sonic's back!"), it's connected to the longest running licensed comic, etc. I dunno about companies buying it to make more games, but for merchandise at least? It'd be a rush.

Anyways, my answer's generally the same. If SEGA goes down I want Namco to buy everything.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nintendo controlling Sonic would be awful.

Frankly through best company to get it would be Disney closely followed by Sony. 

Whilst other companies like Platinum games would make a cracking game, they don't do mascot characters.

Can I ask how that would be awful?

Can I ask how that would be awful

Ask the fans of any Nintendo owned franchise which isn't Mario, Zelda or Kirby. Metroid fans for example

Number of games per decade would be dramatically reduced.

No PC versions of said games.

Radically reduced ability to play the game. Need a Nintendo system or nothing.

Heavily reduced fan support. Nintendo are notoriously strict and out of touch with modern gamers. Hell even getting in touch with their press office is like pulling teeth.

To name a few.

Ask the fans of any Nintendo owned franchise which isn't Mario, Zelda or Kirby. Metroid fans for example

No PC versions of said games.

Radically reduced ability to play the game. Need a Nintendo system or nothing.

Heavily reduced fan support. Nintendo are notoriously strict and out of touch with modern gamers. Hell even getting in touch with their press office is like pulling teeth.

To name a few.

I'd imagine they would have interest in the IP if they bought it, although that would be entirely hypothetical. I agree with the rest of what you said though. The guys behind Rayman Origins would definitely be the best bet as far as I'm concerned.

I think we got off on the wrong foot earlier due to misunderstanding. Let us be friends :) .

I think we got off on the wrong foot earlier due to misunderstanding. Let us be friends :) .

OK let's. 

So where did the 3 million figure come from? 

You say that like this is a bad thing. 

I'd rather a good Sonic every 2 or 3 year's than Sega's usual "fuck it let's just release what we have so we can say we put something out this year" strategy.

• Thumbs Up 6

You say that like this is a bad thing. 

I'd rather a good Sonic every 2 or 3 year's than Sega's usual "fuck it let's just release what we have so we can say we put something out this year" strategy.

You'd be lucky to get that if Nintendo gers the franchise.

gers? Thats kinda like how SEGA treats most of their franchises? Or Ubisoft? Or EA? Or Sony? Or Microsoft? Or Capcom? Or Konami? Every company has those franchises that they ignore and don't bother making a new installment thats just natural. Considering that Sonic is more popular than most Nintendo franchise I doubt that they wont neglect it or treat like crap. 

• Thumbs Up 3

If the franchise is popular,  they usually get regular releases.  Not on the level of Mario and Pokémon obviously,  but both of those sell by the truckload and are simple enough that they can be made rapidly. Most franchises under them get 2-3 games per console generation with a few exceptions  The reason Metroid doesn't get regular releases is because it doesn't do all that well overall. 

If Sonic is actually worth investing in, they'd invest in him basically. 

I personally think that Platinum would be the best pick. Stylish, fast paced action has always been one of the Sonic's biggest draws, and stylish, fast paced action exactly what Platinum does best. It's a match made in heaven. Of course it's also a pipe dream so it's not like it really matters anyway.

Whilst other companies like Platinum games would make a cracking game, they don't do mascot characters.

What about Starfox Zero they're working with Nintendo on?

What about Starfox Zero they're working with Nintendo on?

That's not their own thing though.

Whilst platinum have their own characters they don't have a mascot and don't look like they're going down that road anytime soon.

Platinum Games? Using Sonic? Why them? Did they have a history of creating great platformer games?

All they are good at is fast hack and slash games. I reckon if Platinum ever gets Sonic, his games will turn in to a hack and slash. So noooo to Platinum Games. And I also don't want first party companies such as Nintendo to own Sonic. Especially Nintendo, until they sort themselves out and their home consoles becomes the leader (or at least close to).

A good developer can tackle just about any genre. Retro Studios for example are responsible for both Nintendo's best first-person shooter (I know Prime is not exactly a shooter, calm down guys) and hands-down the best 2D platformers in recent years. Just because high action combat is what they're most talented with, doesn't immediately mean that they couldn't excel in an action platformer. 

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 2

Rise of Lyric was terrible, but i never understood why so many people hate Lost World. Its because its trying something new?

No its because its not a very good game. 

The console sphere has changed too much for a fast-paced mascot platformer to really be an easy fit for anyone else currently working. None of the potential candidates seem like perfect or logical takeovers from Sega aside from Retro, I guess, but then we get into the whole Nintendo argument. It's at the point where I'd almost rather see Sonic under an independent/Kickstarter reign of some sort where the kinds of ideas the franchise entertains have much better play and appreciation, similar to how we practically had to get Playtonic to give us Yooka-Laylee.

• Thumbs Up 1

So basically, if we were to go that route, we will eventually have Galaxy Trail make a Sonic game then. 

How fitting. 

I'd rather something that's not a 2D Classic-styled game. We've pretty much perfected that shit already and there's too many ideas and too much potential for 3D waiting to be realized.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know. There's still tons to do with a 2D Sonic title, and Freedom Planet is proof enough of that concept in action. As much as I want an actually great 3D Sonic game that perfectly captures that feeling of going on an epic journey like Sonic 3 did where everything was paced and built up to a very satisfying climax, I want to see how much more we can do in a 2D space. 

I'd love to see what Galaxy Trail would make out of a much more conventional Sonic title like what they had in mind at first. 

Well, to know who Sonic is going to be sold to, we have to know what type of Sonic game we really want in the first place.

If I'm sure what this discussion is heading towards, I'd say either Harmonix or Activision would be great choices. Remember, if it's multi-platform we want, Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are out of the question here. Rockstar would be great too.

Edited by Mercina Melancholy

If I'm sure what this discussion is heading towards, I'd say either Harmonix or Activision would be great choices. Remember, if it's multi-platform we want, Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are out of the question here.

It's not just about the platform. It's also about freedom/treatment of the fans.

GI've it to Activision say goodbye to tons of freedoms, cons would be stopped and mods would get C&Ds.

• Thumbs Up 5