Awoo.

Undertale (PC, PS4, Switch) & Deltarune (PC DEMO)

Pompadour

I have sadly only played the demo, and don't really have the money to spare to get the game right now. It's a shame because this game is right up my alley. T_T Fortunately I've managed to avoid major spoilers so far, hopefully I'll be able to get the game soon.

My favourite thing about the game is that you simply don't have to fight anyone. I'm definitely going to go for an all-pacifist run, it sounds a lot more fun than just monotonously killing everything like you usually would in an RPG (and most games in general). Plus it was a lot more fun reasoning with / befriending the enemies in the demo. It's a really neat concept.

Edited by Celestia
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

About a month later, and the game continues to hold the spot as the highest rated PC game on Metacritic, graced with straight 100s from the likes of Destructoid, Giant Bomb, Jim Sterling, and several others. Granted the game DOES get a bit of an unfair advantage by having only 16 reviews, but It's great a game like this can receive such praise, especially up against titles like MGSV! Save for that one site that gave Undertale a 65, but I guess that'll happen at some point :V

Meanwhile, fans have been quick to find as many secrets as they can within the game, experimenting with the multiple paths the game provides, and even going as far as altering the game's data. And boy, they found a LOT. Several unused songs, unused graphics, and even a character that never appears in-game.... and MAN it's almost creepypasta in nature. You can read more about the character here if you'd like! Be wary of spoilers, of course. But man, what a thing to find. Hope we can get more insight on these mysteries! (Especially since people are already writing fanfics about this guy, haha)

Besides that, who else has played/beaten the game yet? Hope you can get the game soon too Celestia! If you haven't already, that is. : O

• Thumbs Up 3

Funny that this topic pops up right after I beat the game! 

Upon first glance, I nearly passed it up, thinking "Oh look, yet another Earthbound/Yume Nikki-esque RPG. Yippie." I can't remember how or why I found it, but I ended up watching a video of a "date" with one of the characters, and I laughed my ass off. I ended up changing my mind, and bought the game a few days ago. 

Boy, I don't regret the purchase, not one bit. This is definitely a game that makes you question your choices... Me, I ended up killing two characters and I felt really bad for doing so after the battle... Poor Toriel...

The combat is very unique... I'd say if you have the right skills, you could probably go through a boss fight with little to no damage... I can't say I've ever done that, but I can say that the uniqueness of the combat system kept me from getting frustrated and annoyed when fighting bosses.

And the I ending I got... Ho-lee shit, that final battle. I really don't want to share anything, because you just gotta play Undertale bind to get the full experience. I will say, though, I was on the edge of my seat.

So yeah, this game is a lot of fun, very interesting, and I'm looking forward to my second playthrough. I have a feeling I'll be discovering something new every time I play it.

• Thumbs Up 1

The prologue area got me over-emotional. Something about it was just so fucking sad that I nearly came close to crying. And the part right after it made me laugh, a lot

I'll play some more tomorrow.

• Thumbs Up 2

Count me in as another fan of this game as well!

I have successfully managed to do a pacifist run but apparently you can't really do that on your first run, so you can only do a neutral run or something like that. 

But who gives a crap, I really had a great time playing through this game!

The characters are so likable (well except one little piece of shit plant but whatever).

With all the characters I have interacted, they all had their moments that made me really like them! Whether it's Toriel, Papyrus, Sans, Undyne, Alphys or heck even Mettaton!

I really do like the cast and the gameplay is certainly something I never thought I would see in a RPG but considering that I haven't played Earthbound, which this game does have some strong connections to, and I have pretty little experience with the genre, it probably wouldn't be that surprising. But I liked it, it's a pretty interesting gameplay mechanic to implement those "bullet hell" sequences during the battles (better than tapping circles with the stylus for Chronicles XD).

But for those who aren't interested with the game, please do get it. It's quite an experience! if you can't afford the game, I personally would gift it to you just so you guys can play this game!

• Thumbs Up 1

Literally my game of the year so far.  Since I didn't know of the kickstarter or demo, this game just sprung out of nowhere for me, everyone was talking about it so much that I was like "screw it, I'm taking a chance", especially since it was so cheap.

Utterly adored my experience with it.  It's so funny, the story is so good, the gameplay is a gorgeous new spin on the "action" turn-based RPG style that I so love from the Paper Mario games.  Phenomenal soundtrack, just man, I'm so obsessed with this game, I'm recommending it to everyone and after my initial run (where I was unable to figure out how to spare the first boss, oh the regret...) I dove straight back in to play again for a full pacifist run.

Which was so uplifting and gorgeously done that I didn't have the heart to play a genocide run after.  I even backed up my data before trying a "Hard Mode" run and restored it after in response to Flowey's little message on startup goddamn this game made me care about a bunch of sprites and text boxes to a ridiculous extent lol.  After watching a genocide run on youtube, I have no regrets about not playing it myself.  So sad/depressing to see everywhere deserted, and the two exclusive bosses looked beyond my level of patience).

The way this game deconstructs and uses so many things we take for granted in video games is super awesome too, but it never does it in an obnoxious way that takes you out of the game world like a lot of post-modern humour games do.  Really impressive.

But yeah, definitely the best game I've played this year.  Even now that I'm "done" with it I can't stop listening to the soundtrack, reading about stuff I missed and watching playthroughs by other people.  Mollfie is currently playing through it and I sit and watch her every session to see how it all plays out for her.

• Thumbs Up 4

This is so funny finding people talking about the game after I've had the chance of finishing my first and maybe only go at the game. N-not that I-I went on the Pacifist R-Run or anything! 

I've known about this for a long time because I've always seen the Toriel art since the demo and everyone in my circles has seen it. And it's been a long journey for them but I think they've made a game that might even be on the level with Mother 3 in its scope of character storytelling and the choices affecting your overall experience. This game is brilliant in its lack of conventional gaming cues. It's a hell of a ride. 

Toby really doesn't know how to let go of a joke though,  nyehehehehehe

Edited by LongcrierCat
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm hot Undertale trash and proud of it

This game is worth the hype. Please be open minded, give it a chance and don't look at any spoilers. I got a Neutral Ending then a Pacifist Ending and I like to believe that's the most ideal outcome for anyone getting into it. It's worth experiencing the bosses on both endings and the story flows very well.

• Thumbs Up 8

OH MY FUCKING GOD!

So I just got the Good Ending of the game after Flowey told me that I could be better friends with Alphys, which I did. But seriously that boss for the Neutral Ending was fucking insane but SO FUCKING EPIC too!

Which ended with Alphys and Undyne being a couple! #LoveWins

And when I reached the barrier with Asgore, everything was all sunshine and rainbows until shit hits the fan. Everything with that sequence and after that was just AMAZING! No words can explain how beautiful that entire part was, the final boss music, the nice bit of context on the first human and Asriel and everything else. It was literally one of the MOST AWESOMEST THINGS I'VE EVER ENCOUNTERED IN MY GAMING LIFE!

I'm officially in love with this game and I'll NEVER, EVER attempt to do the bad ending after encountering that godsend of an ending.

• Thumbs Up 2

A tip for those who attempts to do a True Good Ending can be found in the spoiler tags. With that said, I just powered through the Pacifist route these past few days, and I am in love with this game. The writing, the music, the atmosphere... It's been a long time since a game has reached me on such a strong emotional level. I'm sad that it's over, but I have no plans to do a Genocide route. I'll just watch it instead. I love the characters too much to hurt them. ;;

Go all the way back to the beginning area of the ruins. You'll find something very cool, and on the way, you can talk to all the NPCs you've befriended over the course of the game. It's easily misseable, so I thought I'd share.

Edited by Mega
  • Thumbs Up 2

I've actually just beat the genocide ending just a few minutes ago... good GOD. Can't say I was expecting that turn of events...

Sans, first of was probably one, if not the  hardest bosses i've ever battled in any game... You can't damage him, and his attacks are crazy strong. The only thing to is survive, basically. Took me almost all day to finally get the pattern down and finally get to the end.

I gotta say though, Sans bleeding took me by surprise, and actually broke my heart (Despite how much a pain in the ass he was, I love the guy.) Seeing the ending, holy crap, you can definitely see Sans was being such a cheap bastard. 

This ending is straight out of a gaming creepypasta, with the main character breaking the fourth wall and congratulating you on aiding him and getting pissed off when I refused to do what he said. Needless to say, I'm expecting to see an evil plushie when I turn aroundI

In all seriousness, though, I'm now treated to a blank screen. I heard that eventually I can play again, and that the pacifist ending wont be as happy... Kudos to JezMM for showing  me the backup save program. I'm gonna do another neutral run, then do the pacifist route, and use the backup file to see the true ending, just so I'll feel all warm and fuzzy when I'm finished. :P

Edit:... Welp... Looks like I just sold my soul. 

So yeah, another great game, can't wait to see more.

Edited by Emperor Robrainiac

Oof. You definitely want to delete your app data information, or you'll never get the true pacifist ending. Your game will be forever tainted. +_+ Fortunately, there's a lot of guides.

People who refuse to do a genocide run aren't just missing out on some extra plot, they're missing out on two of the better boss battles (the final boss for that run is pretty much the best in the whole game), and they both come with top tier battle music. Said music enhances and is enhanced by the battles themselves, and just looking shit up on youtube means losing the full impact of the moment.

People who refuse to do a genocide run aren't just missing out on some extra plot, they're missing out on two of the better boss battles (the final boss for that run is pretty much the best in the whole game), and they both come with top tier battle music. Said music enhances and is enhanced by the battles themselves, and just looking shit up on youtube means losing the full impact of the moment.

But I can't do it, I love the characters too much to do it. Knowing how twisted and dark it can get even though I can fight a more intense version of Undyne and actually getting to fight Sans himself, I just can't do it. I know I'm getting protective over fictional characters but goddamn, the game made me care about them so much that I don't give a damn!

I am perfectly satisfied with my good ending since it's the ending it should be and the boss theme that plays during its final boss (Hopes and Dreams) is FUCKING GODLY! 

• Thumbs Up 2

The reason I refuse is because I don't want to permanently damage my game. :( Though I hear that if you reset after the final boss but DON'T finish the run, you can save your game and start a new file.

Edited by Mega

To be honest, the fact that the genocide route has an in-your-face moment at the expense of those watching a playthrough, makes me consider it a blessing from the developer that not having the heart to perform one yourself is a valid and expected option.  Honestly I'm not that great at bullet hell stuff, so I don't think I'd have the patience to beat the Genocide last boss.  Not even sure if I'd be able to beat the other Genocide-only boss.  I also super don't want to spend several hours walking around a desolate, deserted version of this wonderful friendly world with depressing music playing the whole time.  Q_Q

The only playthrough I've done since finishing the best ending is Hard Mode (for those who are unfamiliar, see the spoiler below for info on how to play it (recommend you do not read unless you have finished the best ending due to reasons)).

Set the fallen human's name to "Frisk" and enjoy.

After I did this playthrough though, I restored my data back to my completed true pacifist run with that application to respect you-know-who's wishes.  Goddamn fictional characters making me feel things...

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 3

Goddamn fictional characters making me feel things...

You and me both, man. This game is too deep. ; _____ ;

Oof. You definitely want to delete your app data information, or you'll never get the true pacifist ending. Your game will be forever tainted. +_+ Fortunately, there's a lot of guides.

Oh yeah, I'm aware. I just wanna see how it all turned out before finishing off on a good note.

http://crumblingstatue.github.io/FloweysTimeMachine/

There's presets for right before both Genocide boss fights. Back up your saves, replace the files and enjoy. Afterwards just restore your backups.

No excuses! Hell, the

Undyne

battle is really, really, REALLY cool if you like the character (which I did).

And 

Sans

is mechanically the best thing the game has to offer.

http://crumblingstatue.github.io/FloweysTimeMachine/

There's presets for right before both Genocide boss fights. Back up your saves, replace the files and enjoy. Afterwards just restore your backups.

No excuses! Hell, the

Hidden Content

battle is really, really, REALLY cool if you like the character (which I did).

And 

Hidden Content

is mechanically the best thing the game has to offer.

Well I can see that the fight with Sans is pretty badass and a very unique bossfight as well and really shows that there's more to the characters that meets the eye. I also really do like how that you can get a nice sum-up of the characters when you kill them, it makes it a lot more hard (for me personally) to continue doing the Genocide Run. Also getting more insight on what happened to Flowey (Asriel) when he turned into a flower and how he learned that he can't feel any emotion and basically have the power of SAVE and basically played God with it. It's really kind of disturbing...

Also the game goes meta on the player (and the people who watches the run) when Flowey mentions that he finds the people who watches the Genocide Run pathetic and shows how gutless they are.....

This game man, THIS FUCKING GAME MAN!

I did it. I beat Undertale! I got the good ending! I--

I...

Oh

WhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

• Thumbs Up 1