Awoo.

Sonic Lost World heading to Steam (2 November)

Carbo

Well yeah,the one who made this "fix" even said to rename the cpk files before making the new ones.

Edited by VioletX

I have the Wii U version but, man, I'm somehow still jealous of those with good PCs who'll be able to play mods on this. (well, after someone fixes whatever's going on that's not even letting people boot up the game) I'd love to see some level design based mods, maybe some that fit into and improve on this game's zero gravity gimmick, and are on the same level of creativity as Gamecube Galaxy.

Aaand here's our first meme mod!

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, his "solution" didn't worked for me. But I re-installed the game, back again.

Still, like I said, once I've downloaded the newest drive from the NVIDIA website, the task bar says that Sonic Lost World is using the GPU, so there's no mistake about it for those who were still doubting it. But that only happened after forcing the slw.exe into using the high performance processor. It's the same deal as Generations:

Open the NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D setting > tab Program Settings > add the slw.exe > Apply.

Here is the proof:

Untitled-1_zpseqhfrvcv.png

So install the newest drive (GEFORCE EXPERIENCE) and give it another go is my final only functional suggestion :)

It runs at constant 60FPS in menus, cutscenes, the world map, but during gameplay, it navigates between 40 to 60, depending on how much detail it has on screen at the time. The level I've experienced most slowdowns was Desert Ruins Act 2 (the honeycomb), which included the boss fight (it was locked at 30FPS during the boss, and 45 during the level itself). The best level so far was Windy Hill Act 3 (the cave), it ran at constant 60FPS. Note: I only get this framerate when I play at 1024x768 resolution, with the grass turned off (shadows and DoF are ok). If I try to play at 1280 or higher, it doesn't run higher than 35FPS, which sucks, because I hate the black bars on top and bottom of the screen :( In conclusion, I say it runs well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I, *ahem*, tried the PC Port (you can probably guess how) and it runs as smooth as butter on my rig. Consistent 60 FPS with everything turned on at 1920x1080p. Now if only someone could mod the whole pop-in thing out (unless that's how the Hedgehog Engine handles the levels). Also, I need some Anti-Aliasing but otherwise, good port for $30 if you buy it at the highest price. Also: DAMN am I rusty at this game lol

• Thumbs Up 4

Due to the game being released on PC, I decided to screw around with the Wii U version (I haven't picked up the port since the game's not really worth more than ten bucks in my opinion) and noticed a couple things.

Considering how classic-inspired Lost World's aesthetics are, I have to wonder why Sonic Team decided to use bubble containers to hold Wisps and items instead of monitors. I mean, it's not like they had to make sure that the player would be able to see what's inside from every angle since the game doesn't give the player control over the camera anyway.

They even act like classic monitors since they can't be opened by simply touching them either. On top of that, why can't I open them by performing a homing attack? Why cause the already the slower-paced nature of the game to become even slower by forcing the player to slow down and spin attack the capsule to open it?

It probably sounds like I'm nitpicking, but thinking about some of decisions that must have been made during this game's development really do make my head spin. 

• Thumbs Up 2

So I decided to grin and bear it with the slow down in the first two act of windy hill, but to my surprise, everything afterwards become 60 fps! I even went back to those two stages and it still have the lag so I have zero idea what's going on there, but whatever. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with slowdown anymore.

I still can't make my controller work right, and joytokey still kinda sucks...am I the only one having this problem? Because that's both bad and good for different reasons.

It runs at constant 60FPS in menus, cutscenes, the world map, but during gameplay, it navigates between 40 to 60, depending on how much detail it has on screen at the time. The level I've experienced most slowdowns was Desert Ruins Act 2 (the honeycomb), which included the boss fight (it was locked at 30FPS during the boss, and 45 during the level itself). The best level so far was Windy Hill Act 3 (the cave), it ran at constant 60FPS. Note: I only get this framerate when I play at 1024x768 resolution, with the grass turned off (shadows and DoF are ok). If I try to play at 1280 or higher, it doesn't run higher than 35FPS, which sucks, because I hate the black bars on top and bottom of the screen :( In conclusion, I say it runs well.

It seems we're in the same boat. I have:

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4510U processor (4M Cache, up to 3.0 GHz) 2.00 ghz
Integrated Intel® HD Graphics 4400
8 gb ram

And I only get lag on windy hill 1, Frozen Factory 1, and Sky Road 1. Frozen Factory for me drops down to 40-50 fps, but everywhere else locked 60 fps.

Here's a video of me attempting to Speedrun Sky Road 2.

Edited by Da Blu Hedgie
  • Thumbs Up 1

So, yeah. I would pretty much recommend that if you're going to get a laptop to run this or Generations, to have a discrete GPU. Preferably the 940M.

Out of all the mods out there that could be put in this game and they did this one? Seriously? Screw it, I'm going into EB Games tomorrow, grabbing 30 bucks of Steam money and getting this game just to see if it'll run on my Windows 10 and see if I can help anyone out if it runs alright.

I can run Generations pretty damn well (most of the lag I get is from water stages, especially Chemical Plant), so this one should be alright.

They even act like classic monitors since they can't be opened by simply touching them either. On top of that, why can't I open them by performing a homing attack? Why cause the already the slower-paced nature of the game to become even slower by forcing the player to slow down and spin attack the capsule to open it?

I've taken to Spindashing right up against the item boxes and then either 1) going ahead with the dash or 2) pressing Y (aka the kick button, for those with control schemes other than the GamePad) to uncurl from the charge. It's a lot faster than jumping against or onto them.

Personally I actually kind of prefer not being able to just homing attack everything. I'd welcome springs not being a target anymore too, though I'm not asking for it either. Still, it's nice to see more stuff not be so...automatic, I guess. Now just dial down the dash pads and we're good, thanks.

Speaking of this sort of thing, I've been watching some videos of the game since the port came out and it bugs me that people don't know about how to continuously Spindash instead of the really short one Sonic does by default if you don't press + hold the trigger a second time. Not that I blame the players themselves, there really should have been better tutorials to explain things, but yeah.

More on topic, has this been posted yet?

My dreams are coming true before my very own eyes. I'm so jealous of people who have the PC version. D; 

Edited by Celestia
  • Thumbs Up 4

Looking back on the game itself, I agree 100% with Radrappy at Segabits :

The big thing with SLW is that for all its failures it was trying to address a serious problem with Sonic that has plagued him since SA1: how sonic navigates a 3d space. 

I know a lot of people think Colors/Generations/Unleashed play just fine but when you remove the boost and homing attack from the equation, the game is a hot slimy uncontrollable mess.  The slightest twitch of movement will all too easily send the poor hedgehog careening off a cliff and precision platforming was more or less impossible.  SLW took to this problem and sought to give players a more deliberate and interactive experience.  You can climb trees.  You can wall run.  You can smash crystals for rings.  You can bounce off sheep.  The whole point was to make Sonic's world feel interactive for the first time in years, not just a twitch based reflex test of homing attacks and rainbow rings.

If the game had showcased levels that emphasized this in the later half of the game instead of resorting to cheap gimmicks and horribly unfair trial and error gameplay, they could have had something special on their hands.  What the engine needed to flourish was wide open areas akin to Desert Ruins Act 1 and the Hyrule dlc level.  The 2d levels were crap and only padded things out with unimaginative platforming.  Lose em.   

So, no, SLW definitely wasn't a "flaccid waste of time".  It was an attempt (with mixed results) at actually fixing a problem that Unleashed/Colors/Generations just glazed over with the boost mechanic.  I want to play a game where Sonic is fun to control with a world that is fun to be in and SLW at least tried to give me that. 

Okay, so SEGA Support is actually being good for once! They're trying to help me step by step to try and find the exact problem that's causing the crashing. Hopefully I can get this game working within the next week. I'm glad to see SEGA actually care about their customers for once. 

• Thumbs Up 6

The button config on the game pad is terrible in this game, why is kick and bounce on the same button? makes the 7th Zetti fight annoying,

Okay, so SEGA Support is actually being good for once! They're trying to help me step by step to try and find the exact problem that's causing the crashing. Hopefully I can get this game working within the next week. I'm glad to see SEGA actually care about their customers for once. 

I've been talking to them today to try and get this T-pose issue sorted since those of us with the issue can't play the game until it's fixed. They've definitely been prompt today with trying to help. They've taken my DxDiag and msinfo32 files before coming back and asked me to try running as an administrator and you can guess how well that worked.

Still, at least they do seem keen to iron these issues out and considering the game has only been out for around two days I couldn't really ask more of them at this stage.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, his "solution" didn't worked for me. But I re-installed the game, back again.

Still, like I said, once I've downloaded the newest drive from the NVIDIA website, the task bar says that Sonic Lost World is using the GPU, so there's no mistake about it for those who were still doubting it. But that only happened after forcing the slw.exe into using the high performance processor. It's the same deal as Generations:

Open the NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D setting > tab Program Settings > add the slw.exe > Apply.

Here is the proof:

Hidden Content

So install the newest drive (GEFORCE EXPERIENCE) and give it another go is my final only functional suggestion :)

That grass texture reminds me of the 3DS version. Eugh...

OK, just bought the game and it's currently downloading. Once it's downloaded, I'll tell you guys if it works for me or not. (Using Windows 10 and I know about that problem that's going around).

Modders are hard at work!

First off, Classic sonic is now implemented. simple enough:

Second, That nasty annoying ball gimmick is now gone:

And Multiplayer levels are up and running in 1P:

And Twlightzoney has started porting his really HQ model of Unleashed Sonic over to Lost World:

I've been working on Unleashed Sonic with his original rig that I edited to work in Generations to get ported over to Lost World since I preferred Unleashed's animation style compared what they've been doing now. (Very lazy) I'm just about done with redoing all the new animations for it. Thankfully they use a edited Generations Skeleton so adding the animations to the Unleashed Skeleton I just have to fix rotations and positions a bit but keeps some of the main things in place that I need. Basically all I have to do is reanimating arms/hands/feet/mouth and such for it.

Figured out my issue with my Unleashed model. So if you noticed in the files there is no _r animations like brake_01_r but there is a brake_01_l apparently this game has a mirroring tool used in the game. And was messing with my model with his eyebrows.

There is an .anm file that controls speed playback for animations and assigning animations to the functions of the game. All the _R functions are lefted blanked probably has some flag to make it mirror it in the game. I guess they got lazy or did it to avoid the pac file limit.

Regarding the pac files you cannot have 4k texture files in this game. The game seems to hang when it tries to load a pac file thats over 13-14mb so we gotta fix up pacpack to split things up better since this game has no compression system to it.

TCXopCN.jpg

I looked at Sonic's skeleton in Gens/Lost World its brow names are called BrowA_L BrowA_R , Unleashed on the other hand had them named BrowA_L_LT BrowA_R_LT which are on the opposite side of his head. So the left brow bone is on his right side of his head and the other way around for the other bone. So I had this issue you see here. Apparently it ignores mirroring these bones but it wasn't for mine due to how mine were named. Which I ended up fixing to get this. (also note mirrored his mouth animation so he's not smiling now, I'll get that fixed)

8ENVBK0.jpg

And regarding the classic sonic. He has about 200 animations to do for those 20 animations he choose to use. Me and Daku have a different method of approaching Classic Sonic mod.

Also I was gonna try porting the Nintendo DLC but I have to wait on Paraxade to come up with a way to convert the Wii U orc files to PC orc files and fix the bug with pacpack somehow it won't repack these files from the DLC.

• Thumbs Up 8

Well, Sonic Lost World works for me, going to go ahead and complete the game before I put any mods or stuff in it.

An actual comparison between using Grass & Shadow and not using them. I could use either, doesn't really change my frame rate that much.

Comparison.thumb.jpg.4817cb8846defe62234

Edited by Haalyle
  • Thumbs Up 2

Seeing basically everyone complain that their laptop can't 1080p 60 FPS makes me feel that in the near future people are gonna use Lost World PC as the "noob cave" of low-end PCs/laptops ie if your laptop/rig can't perfectly (no frame drops) 60 FPS 1080p Lost World then it's not suitable for gaming.

• Thumbs Up 1

Strangely, I'm running Lost World a lot worse than Generations. Lost World is running at about 20fps on my system at a 1280x720 resolution which runs Generations at above at least 35 at that same resolution. Anyone else have this issue? Maybe I should update drivers?

• Thumbs Up 1

Strangely, I'm running Lost World a lot worse than Generations. Lost World is running at about 20fps on my system at a 1280x720 resolution which runs Generations at above at least 35 at that same resolution. Anyone else have this issue? Maybe I should update drivers?

Pretty much, and don't forget to verify cache integrity too.

I'm out of the house for a while but SEGA has brought in some extra options for people struggling to get the game running properly including a 30fps cap and unlocking the frame rate.

Found in the pinned topic on the Steam forum.

• Thumbs Up 1