Awoo.

questions about Korea

Rey Skywalker-Ren

I was afraid about making this thread. Im passinate about Sonic but theres another something I love to like Sonic. 

I am in love with Korean cultutre. I love the country and the people. I am studying the language to as I write in korean sometimes on my tumblr/DA or any arts I make about Sonic. I have been to south Korea before and it was awesome. But I also want to know more about or N Korea and traveling.

Everytime I say about it on my old tumblr people get angry and theres no one to talk about this to without people getting angry for asking questions. My questions about are:

1) Is it safe to travel to N.Korea in the future? Do you recommend I go?

2) Do they really hate Japanese people like others tell me they do (with no explaning why they do?)

3) Do I need a reqirement to go there? Have anyone know someone who goes there?

I hear so much from the fans that its such a beautiful country and beautiful pictures and nice people and I love Korean culture. I want to know everything about them to get into the culture. Its something I cannot ask in a Korean FB group and I see people post about China so I wanted to see if it is OK to ask this question. Please dont hate me.

What do you think? Please help!

1 - From what I've read, tourists are spied on and even accompanied by officials when visiting North Korea. They only see what the government wants them to see.

2 - There is quite a bit of Anti Japanese sentiment in Korea due to things such as Japanese rule in Korea during the early-mid 20th century. This page elaborates on it more - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Japanese_sentiment_in_Korea

3 - I don't think so.

If I was visiting Korea, I'd only make sure to visit South Korea since it's more prosperous and isn't in the grip of the world's most authoritarian and most brutal government. But that's me.

So i get a private person to guide me?

ill check it out for the translation of the page since Im not well with big words. Im sorry :(

Do they allow every forenger or certian forengers?

This is something I've been considering for a while now, but your interest in Korea strikes me as a tad obsessive, and I think this is what is making people angry. Perhaps you are stereotyping Korea as this magical place that it is not?

It's good to study language and other countries, but putting putting Korean words on your art and  making your characters Korean on not-korean forums and announcing your love to the world strikes me as...off. What are you in love with? Is it not a flawed country (or rather, two countries) just like ours? Isn't it just everyday life for the people living there? Why post things in Korean when your audience doesn't understand?

Edited by Amomynous
  • Thumbs Up 3

1) No, it isn't safe to go to North Korea. Especially if you're Japanese or American. Considering how authoritarian, brutal, if not downright racist it is, and how brainwashed its population is, I would not recommend setting a foot in North Korea. Seriously, stay away from there. You'd have better chances in South Korea - and speaking of that...

2) Yes, there is anti-Japanese sentiment in both North and South Korea over the actions Japan committed to them during World War II, and how Japan often brushes off their grievances as a non-issue to them. Considering that, again, stay out of North Korea - South Korea will probably give you a hard time, but their miles more tolerant than their northern neighbor, so you can go there if you want.

3) Not sure if you do, and no I don't know anyone who's been there.

Hope that helps.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 3

1) No, it isn't safe to go to North Korea. Especially if you're Japanese or American. Considering how authoritarian, brutal, if not downright racist it is, and how brainwashed its population is, I would not recommend setting a foot in North Korea. Seriously, stay away from there. You'd have better chances in South Korea - and speaking of that...

2) Yes, there is anti-Japanese sentiment in both North and South Korea over the actions Japan committed to them during World War II, and how Japan often brushes off their grievances as a non-issue to them. Considering that, again, stay out of North Korea - South Korea will probably give you a hard time, but their miles more tolerant than their northern neighbor, so you can go there if you want.

3) Not sure if you do, and no I don't know anyone who's been there.

Hope that helps.

1) Not really, check this out: http://www.koryogroup.com/travel_tours.php

There's of course the "Vice guide to North Korea", but from what I've seen they've gotten better at not presenting it as some kind of bizzaro world. 

This one time I went down a youtube hole looking at North Korean cartoons.  There's this old classic about the importance of learning how to use a protractor so you can stop invading US imperialists, and a series that In think is called "Hedgehog and Squirrel" that I have no idea what it's about.  Maybe the wolves are supposed to represent foreign powers.  

Edited by Phos

The Wolves in the "Hedgehog and the Squirrel" are suppose to represent Americans. It's suppose to be an "insult" by the North Koreans, but it backfired as Americans found it a complement to be bad ass wolves capable of breaking logs with bare hands and portraying us as awesome villains.

Not sure what that has to do with the topic tho...

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

1. Are you sure you meant to say South Korea? North and South Korea are two separate countries. Now assuming you really meant to say North Korea, it's technically safe since their citizens are monitored very closely by their government, but to actually go there, it's done through an organized tour and it's one their government approves of. You won't be seeing the "real" North Korea. Trust me. South Korea on the other hand, is safe visit and many tourists go there each year.

2. There is an Anti-Japanese sentiment, but as others have pointed out, it's for historical reasons.

3. For South Korea, no special requirements as citizens of most countries can enter visa-free. For North Korea, you have to be part of a specially arranged government approved tour as I've mentioned before.

Edited by Kevin

The Wolves in the "Hedgehog and the Squirrel" are suppose to represent Americans. It's suppose to be an "insult" by the North Koreans, but it backfired as Americans found it a complement to be bad ass wolves capable of breaking logs with bare hands and portraying us as awesome villains.

Not sure what that has to do with the topic tho...

Hedgehog and squirrel? Sonic and Sally? :P (sorry, irrelevant, I know, I just wanted to crack that joke. :p)

• Thumbs Up 2

OMG me to haha

I do wanna say this: no I dont have a obession with Korean culture. Do i think its a better country then mine? Yes. But I can enjoy culture without going overboard. Now i know that maybe i shouldnt go to N Korea to visit there so Ill stay away.