Awoo.

Sonic Rush Adventure

Monkey Destruction Switch

I looked through literally every post with the words Sonic Rush Adventure and couldn't find a thread for it, so I'm creating one '^^

Believe it or not, this is the only modern handheld title I've played. I don't own/buy a lot of video games and my grandparents just happened to get this one for me!

It's not amazing, but it's pretty fun and kind of relaxing at times. The gameplay has nowhere near the depth of the classic games and there are too many severely underwhelming gimmicks (such as the automated "3D" sections) and death pits. It does have some really cool aesthetics and level tropes. And honestly, I kind of like the water vehicle mini-games. The story is generally mediocre, despite a few interesting aspects. 

However, what's really frustrating is that I keep getting stuck and confused and can't seem to get to the next island. Maybe I'm just stupid, but it keeps happening again and again and it drives me up the wall. In fact, I'm stuck right now. I've already done Sky Babylon and am trying to get to Blizzard Peaks (actually I think I already did that, but I guess it didn't save), but I can't seem to get the ship to sail from Haunted Ship to Blizzard Peaks. I have the Wave Cyclone, Aqua Blast and Ocean Tornado...am I missing something?

Anyway, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the game and get help on how to continue.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rush Adventure is one of my favorite Sonic games and is probably the best DIMPS Sonic game, period!

The story is definitely a step up from Rush in my eyes and felt like an actual adventure story, I'd say it's one of the series' finest stories. The music while not as awesome  as Naganuma's funky music, it's still pretty sweet to listen too. Can't get enough of Coral Cave, Blizzard Peaks, Haunted Ship, Sky Babylon and etc!

The gameplay and overall level design is generally better  than Rush's as well. rush has some pretty cheap moments that can catch a newcomer off guard and some levels are generally just mediocre and feel uninspired.

The special stage races are are a pretty cool way to get the Emeralds as well and the fact is has Missions as well, gives it more replay value than Rush could ever wish to offer.

As for your trouble in progression, I'm pretty sure you might need the Deep Typhoon to get to it and if not, well you can always look up a guide. :P

• Thumbs Up 6

Thanks for the tip! I did try looking at guides, but they kept confusing me '^^

Honestly, probably my biggest problem with the storyline is that Sonic's personality comes across as boring and Marine totally steals the show from everyone. :P 

However, what's really frustrating is that I keep getting stuck and confused and can't seem to get to the next island. Maybe I'm just stupid, but it keeps happening again and again and it drives me up the wall. In fact, I'm stuck right now. I've already done Sky Babylon and am trying to get to Blizzard Peaks (actually I think I already did that, but I guess it didn't save), but I can't seem to get the ship to sail from Haunted Ship to Blizzard Peaks. I have the Wave Cyclone, Aqua Blast and Ocean Tornado...am I missing something?

Which one are you using? IIRC, you need to use the hovercraft to get there due to the ice.

Anyway Rush Adventure is honestly a pretty cool game. It fixed some of the problems with Rush, like the combat rooms and the excessive use of pits, I enjoyed the story pretty well, and it's got some of the only bosses in the series that I've found fun enough to replay for their own sake. It did lose a few things in the trade, though; the soundtrack's not as memorable as the first Rush's, and pretty much everything with the vehicles is kinda weak. Still, it pretty consistently hovers around being my third favorite Sonic game, in spite of my attachment to the classic mechanics and my usual hatred of the boost.

• Thumbs Up 5

Thanks for the tip! I did try looking at guides, but they kept confusing me '^^

Honestly, probably my biggest problem with the storyline is that Sonic's personality comes across as boring and Marine totally steals the show from everyone. :P 

Well I guess Sonic could be a bit more snarky, I guess. But I don't really see how that makes the story "mediocre" because of an average portrayal of Sonic but tha's just me, still like it.

It's my favorite non-classic 2D Sonic game. It improves on the stuff Rush did (even the music lawl) and has a few interesting level themes, like a joyful pirate stage and a haunted ghost ship. It also has this really "cozy" atmosphere to it that I can't explain well. I really like that small island and wish it was fleshed out into a bigger hub world much like the adventure fields in SA1.

• Thumbs Up 4

Which one are you using? IIRC, you need to use the hovercraft to get there due to the ice.

Anyway Rush Adventure is honestly a pretty cool game. It fixed some of the problems with Rush, like the combat rooms and the excessive use of pits, I enjoyed the story pretty well, and it's got some of the only bosses in the series that I've found fun enough to replay for their own sake. It did lose a few things in the trade, though; the soundtrack's not as memorable as the first Rush's, and pretty much everything with the vehicles is kinda weak. Still, it pretty consistently hovers around being my third favorite Sonic game, in spite of my attachment to the classic mechanics and my usual hatred of the boost.

I was using the hovercraft, but it didn't seem to work...I guess I'll try again? You are supposed to go to Blizzard Peaks from Haunted Ship, right?

I have to agree that some of the bosses are pretty fun, especially since Sonic bosses are rarely that good. The one where you got to go in the belly of the whale, for example :D 

I probably came down harder on the game than it deserves, it's pretty fun. (If it wasn't, I wouldn't be so frustrated by not being able to progress in it, would I?) It probably doesn't help that I gravitate toward the classic games so much haven't played any other modern handheld titles, so that's all I'm really comparing it to. As for the storyline, I guess "mediocre" is too harsh. It's not bad, I just don't find it particularly interesting. I was probably a little angry at the game while writing my OP due to not being able to progress :P 

EDIT: I tried the hovercraft again, it worked. I guess I really am just stupid, lel, but I'm too happy that I can play to care, honestly. Thanks Dio.

Edited by Monkey Destruction Switch

I haven't played Rush Adventure in a long while, but I can tell you that it's in my top five favorites.

As a handheld, it's what I call Dimps magnum opus of their handheld Sonic lineage. It has much more of a polished replayability factor than Rush did (Hidden Islands, Watercraft travel, the Challenges) for starters. Not only that I liked the setting where it took place. Not so much Blaze's world per se, but the nautical atmosphere the game takes. Earlier Sonic games never really took that approach, so it was little refresher of sorts.

Speaking of, I found the watercrafts to be cool addition to the game as like I said it added to the replay factor of the game and their use in the story is good way to bridge it along. My favorite is Wave Cyclone, it controls pretty tight and can be pretty fun to play with, Materials notwithstanding. It's the perfect vessel for Sonic to use as he treks island to island, as it's naturally the fastest out of the four. Aqua Blast is my second favorite. Yeah I like faster crafts out of the four used in regular gameplay. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Rush Adventure is a beautiful game. The only this I don't like about it is that Naganuma couldn't return to make the soundtrack ):

Rush Adventure is a beautiful game. The only this I don't like about it is that Naganuma couldn't return to make the soundtrack ):

TBH, with the theme they were going with in this game, having Naganuma...probably wouldn't have done it justice. Don't get me wrong he's a great composer, but I feel having Othani, Nanba and Okamoto were good choices.

In fact..having a mutli-composed soundtrack really helped flesh out this particular game compared to Rush's.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have to say, in light of all the positivity I've seen here, I'm beginning to see the game in a bit of a new light. I feel kind of stupid for changing my opinion immediately, but I guess part of the change is I've been playing it more like a classic game and realizing that they have a lot of momentum mechanics in common. The main difference is that there's way less careful platforming and more just going fast all the time, which I don't like (despite being a Sonic fan I have this weird preference for not going fast, I guess, to the point that Sonic 1 is one of my favorite games because of all the platforming goodness), but I've recognized that, just like in the classics, there's strategy to "going fast", and even alternate, better routes that can be accessed only if you do so well. And the bosses really are some of the best I've seen in a Sonic game. Plus, all that raw "going fast" is kind of addictive, lol.

It still pales in comparison to the classics, in my opinion, but I'm beginning to appreciate more of what it has to offer.

I have a mixed opinion on the soundtrack, some of the songs are pretty meh but then there are great songs like Sky Babylon.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really love it. I'm a pretty big Sonic Rush fan and have played it quite a lot, and have noticed the good things and bad things the game had. When finally getting around to playing Rush Adventure, I noticed it really did improve on a lot of things that weren't so good in the first Rush game and couldn't help but fall in love with it. You didn't have a partner character on the bottom screen cheering you on, the bosses felt a bit more intense, the story itself really does capture the essence of an "Adventure" much more than the first Rush game, but that's probably because Rush Adventure takes place out on the sea and you have to travel to the different places, and you actually have pirates to fight. There's also the way you collect the emeralds which isn't just the usual Sonic 2 half-pipe that we have seen used numerous times in Sonic games. You're actually out here in the sea racing someone for the emeralds. There's also the fact that in Rush, you're sent to this random special stage world to get the emerald, and it doesn't really fit much in the context of the story or its setting compared to Rush Adventure story that takes place in the sea, so of course Sonic is out in the sea collecting the emeralds as he goes. (I hope this part made sense). When it comes down to music... I like Rush Adventure soundtrack, I also think it has easily one of the greatest final boss songs ever in the Sonic franchise, but I really do vastly prefer Rush soundtrack, but I guess that's more because I'm just a Hideki Naganuma fan. Really wish that Hideki Naganuma worked on the soundtrack for this game, but it's still good even without him. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, I forgot...one thing I really like about this game is the bosses. Seems like they learned from Rush's samey nature with not just the boss designs themselves, but how they are structured. Each of the bosses in the game take a different perspective; from the familiar plane of view in the Plant Kingdom's Ghost Rex boss to how Coral Cave's Ghost Whale is set up. That's a major plus in my book in how each boss felt much more distinct from the other in how they are supposed to be fought. 

• Thumbs Up 6

TBH, with the theme they were going with in this game, having Naganuma...probably wouldn't have done it justice. Don't get me wrong he's a great composer, but I feel having Othani, Nanba and Okamoto were good choices.

In fact..having a mutli-composed soundtrack really helped flesh out this particular game compared to Rush's.

I feel you. The music in Rush Adventure was still pretty good. 

I do think it would've been great to see what Naganuma could have done with the more oceanic tropes this game had. I can definitely see where you're coming from though. I'm just a huge fan of his in general c:

This game is definitly my second favorite 2d Sonic game, I like it a lot. Out of all the cheap ways to extend playtime in a Sonic game, I think the island scouting on the map is one of the beter and more fun ways.
Tough guess I'm a minority that I do prefer Rush 1's soundtrack. Not that this one's bad, love the Adventure-ey music whenever you leave with a ship or find an Emerald.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really did enjoy this game! Although I am biased since Southern Island was basically based on Australia XD And it introduced Marine!

Although the first Rush always was the one I preferred more, if not for Naganuma's kickass soundtrack (Ohtani did amazing with Rush Adventure as well), but it brought in Blaze and playing as her for the first time was so cool! Some new character right off the bat with fire abilities!? Count me in!

One of few Sonic games I learned about as it was in development, was able to buy it when it was new, and played and finished it still as it was new. I liked it quite a lot, more so than the original Rush. It had a fun feel to it, and it definitely lived up to the 'Adventure' in it's name. I even liked Marine! I'm terrible at explaining why I like things though, so oh well.

I put a lot of hours in this game. WiFi was quite fun, if you enjoyed some Time Attack or competition without item boxs. this is probably the only sonic game i played much fun for 8 years ago. the play and WiFi was very replay value. Soundtrack is great too.  Water bike/ Plant Kingdom/Pirate Island and ect..

Edited by Daisy-Fan

Rush Adventure is a game I played pretty much constantly for a few years when it first came out. I hardly play it now, but that doesn't mean I don't still consider it one of the better Sonic games, and definitely Dimps's best game. I mean I loved Rush 1 when it first came out, but this game just blows it out of the water with better level design, level gimmicks, longetivity with the missions and the vehicles which aren't obnoxious, and really unique level themes. Oh, and some of the most awesome bosses in the series. Rush 1's bosses looked cool but there was a lot of waiting around and tedium, whereas this game changed it up by giving bosses massive health bars but kept the pace up and allowed you to do lots of damage at a time, making it much more enjoyable. Yeah, it's pretty easy, but it's fun rather than being more difficult like Rush 1 but in a cheap way.

Pirates' Island was always my favourite level in the game. Firstly, Rush Adventure bothers to give you two water zones unlike most games, and secondly, it's just a really unique way to end a game with some good level specific stuff like the dolphins and the anchors. It's pretty hard, but it's not unreasonable. Also the dual boss against Whisker and Johnny is fucking nuts. For my money, I always like Plant Kingdom more than Mushroom Hill too.

Also is it me, or is Blaze a lot less useful in Rush Adventure? In Rush 1 her height abilities helped more often than in Rush Adventure, and sure you can become immune to fire in Sky Babylon, but I'd rather be faster and have more speed orientated tricks (especially for that level's boss!). In Rush 1, she had her own story too, but still. I play as Sonic pretty much exclusively in this game compared to the first one.

I was always waiting for a follow up... Colours DS is a good game, but nowhere near what I wanted.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yep, Rush Adventure is an amazing game. It makes the other games, such as colors ds, just weakened versions of the main consoles, seem very lackluster. I don't know who at SEGA decided that handheld games should mimic the main console versions, but it was a very poor decision.

When the Handheld games were their own, they greatly stood out. At times I enjoyed playing them more than the main games; they did not need to hide behind the shadow of the main games.

Furthermore, it was the last time we saw Burning Blaze; indeed, anyone besides Sonic in a Super form. So yes, I greatly appreciate Rush Adventure, certainly one of my favorite Sonic games.

P.S. I quite enjoy the ship sections and special stages. The special stages I feel were difficult, but not overly cheap or frustrating.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's a pretty decent game overall. What I couldn't stand was the vehicle mini games.

Actually, it's something I should consider replaying. I never finished the game properly back in 2008.

I didn't really like how you advance to the next level by crossing the ocean, I'd rather have the level selection screen like the first Rush. Also I prefer the first Rush technoess music. But other than that, the games freaking amazing. Really hoping for a Rush 3, though I guess hand held Color version counts, since its basically the same thing only without Blaze playable and with Wisp.

Also, was there ever a more indeep explanation on how Sonic and Tails came into Blazes world, or was it just because of a random tornado?

Also, was there ever a more indeep explanation on how Sonic and Tails came into Blazes world, or was it just because of a random tornado?

The Emeralds summoned them or something, I think.  To be fair, I don't think it needed that good a reason.

This game had the best and most original bosses in the whole series to me.

The music was also damn fantastic, I still can't get Sky Babylon out of my head or the boss themes.

I also did like the games story, despite Marine being....err....Marine, it was a fun little game.

Also thank goodness they made getting the Emeralds easier.

Edited by Dantemustdie00
  • Thumbs Up 1