Awoo.

Skylanders Academy(Skylanders Animated Series)

Klinsy

So, it seems like Spyro is joining Sonic, Pac-Man and Mega Man in getting a new animated series. (What's taking you so long, Mario?)

Announced today alongside a Call Of Duty film series,

Skylanders Academy will presumably take places at said place and focus on life of it's students.

Futurama writer Eric Rogers will serve as this show's producer and will star Justin Long as Spyro, Ashley Tisdale as Stealth Elf, Jonathan Banks as Eruptor, and Norm Macdonald as Glumshanks, Harland Williams and Richard Horvitz as currently unknown roles (Though the later is probably doing his role from the games, Kaos.)

The show is due to come out sometime in 2016.

I dunno what a Glumshanks is but I'll watch anything with Norm MacDonald.

The big question... Will the Dong and Bows make it in? (Probably not).

I dunno what a Glumshanks is but I'll watch anything with Norm MacDonald.

The big question... Will the Dong and Bows make it in? (Probably not).

Glumshanks is a literal troll and Kaos's henchman/butt monkey.

He's what you call a "Punch-Clock Villain": not really evil in and of himself, he just happens to work for the bad guy, much like Orbot and Cubot, except Glumshanks is actually competent. (And he's amazing in Superchargers)

But I'm all fired up (heh) for this! Skylanders has amazing writing as a game series, so I can only imagine what the writers will pull off on TV! And Richard Horvitz is enough to make me watch any show! (Seriously: Kaos is the best role he's ever had- even better than Billy or Zim!)

• Thumbs Up 3

This news... this news made my day.

Finally, a Skylanders show where we can get some extensive interaction from the characters! (Well, besides the IDW Comics) It's also gonna be cool to see how Skylanders Academy actually works. It served as a hub world for Trap Team and SuperChargers, but now we get to see the place in action. Buzz HAS to be in this show, though. Skylanders Academy isn't complete without their "head of security and secret ninja commando operations."

I also wonder if this show takes place after SuperChargers because

Kaos loses his power and gets a job at the Academy in the end. If it does take place after SuperChargers, there is still a wide range of villains you can use. There's the Doom Raiders, Frightbeard, Mesmerelda, Count Moneybone, Dream Sheep and tons more. Maybe they can take a page from the comics and bring Malfor back.

I am a little worried about the voices. The only returning actor from the show so far is Richard Horvitz as Kaos.

Josh Keaton played as Spyro in the games, but not here? I hope Justin Long does a good job. Same goes for the rest of the cast. I'm really curious on how Eruptor's gonna be handled without his original actor. Same goes for Glumshanks. Chris Cox nailed the guy, and it's a shame that he won't be in the show. But PLEEEEASE have Pop Fizz, and keep him voiced by Bobcat Goldthwait! There's also a ton of voice actors I'd love to see reprise their roles. Like Kevin Micheal Richardson as Stump Smash and Tree Rex, Bumper Robinson as Bouncer, John DiMaggio as Wash Buckler and Steve Blum as Chop Chop, just to name a few. It shouldn't be hard to get those guys since they do a lot of work in the animation department.

Either way, my hype SuperCharged!

Edited by Failinhearts
  • Thumbs Up 2

I would have preferred the original voice actors to reprise their roles, but I'll still give the show a chance since it's Spyro's  first television show. I'm hoping Nickelodeon picks up the series because of Cartoon Network treats Sonic Boom and Disney XD would be worst than Cartoon Network.

• 4 months later...

We got some more news on Skylanders Academy courtesy of Eric Rogers' Twitter! (The head writer on the show)

So there we go, Spyro is the main character.

So now we have a good idea of how the show's tone will be like. Gravity Falls meets Futurama. Also, the interesting thing is that they don't have Patrick Warburton for this show and he plays a very important character in Skylanders: Flynn.

latest?cb=20130924012039

So what will become of Skylands' greatest pilot? Will we get a new actor for him, or will he be cut from the show entirely? (At least for season 1)

Cynder confirmed for Season 2.

There is our cast. Now, we already knew that Richard Hortvitz will return to play his role as Kaos, but we do have some other game actors returning. Ellis Greg, Billy West, John DiMaggio and Bobcat Goldthwait. This confirms Jet-Vac, Chopper, Wash Buckler and Pop Fizz.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

More stuff from Eric Rogers! You know, because I'm not hyped enough.

This tweet is speaking about the animation. Apparently it's really good. You better not be toying with me, Eric!

Skylanders origin stories won't be focused on for the first season.

Hugo confirmed! Good, I love that little guy.

Kaos is confirmed to be a villain. 

Spoiler

Meaning it does not pick up after SuperChargers

Golden Queen, The Gulper. Wolfgang, Dr. Krankcase, Dreamcatcher, Chompy Mage and Chef Pepper Jack confirmed since they are the Doom Raiders.

More evidence that it is not directly connected to the events of the games.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a picture from Eric Roger's Instagram. I'm guessing by "inner rage-y sentient lava creature", he means Eruptor. But... isn't Jonathan Banks voicing him? Is he talking about another lava creature like Hot Head?

• 1 month later...

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160616005985/en

This show has been confirmed to be releasing on Netflix.

ClFa10FXEAE__qz.jpg

We also got new pictures! The first one shows Stealth Elf, Pop Fizz, Eon, Eruptor and Jet-Vac.

Pop Fizz... you looking okay there?

ClFT1zbUYAMR8tr.jpg

We got Kaos in all of his glory!

ClFTMLgXEAA58Qi.jpg

Spyro and Eon!

skylanders-academy.jpg

STEALTH ELF WITHOUT A MASK, WHY.

6_activision-skylandersacademy-1.png

5_activision-skylandersacademy-4.png

3_activision-skylandersacademy-5.png

gallery001.jpg

gallery010.jpg

gallery005.jpg

gallery007.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

So first off, it looks like all of Eric Rogers' tweets have been deleted. So I guess you all just have to take my word for the stuff above.

But anyway, it looks like we got a new Skylander confirmed through a blurry leaked picture taken at Sweet Suite 2016.

afaI8Bl.jpg

If you look to your left, you can clearly see the Skylander Wind-Up.

7133_01_1251_20130205-ia9t1.jpg

So there you have it, Wind-Up has joined the show. Surprising to say the least considering he's a character that doesn't really have a lot of attention.

• 2 weeks later...

So, a montage of scenes from the show have been leaked... however, it was deleted before I could retrieve it. However, one small scene managed to be salvaged... and it is something.

And boy, Eon sounds different.

• 1 month later...

More in-production clips have been leaked, and man, except for Kaos of course, everyone's voice is so radically different. It's so strange hearing Wolfgang without John Paul Karliak doing the voice.

Also, WolfgangXGolden Queen? This was a thing?

And once again, my findings have been deleted. Whoop-de-friggin-doo. But I have screenshots. These shouldn't be deleted... right?

RIGHT?

castle-bg-flattened.jpg

A good look at the Academy. Seems to be based off the Trap Team design.

academy-slide01.jpg

Spyro, Stealth Elf, Eruptor, Eon, Hugo, Pop Fizz and Jet-Vac.

academy-slide02.jpg

Jet-Vac, Pop Fizz, Spyro, Eruptor and Stealth Elf. (Side note: Jet-Vac's bigger than I thought, geez. He towers over Eruptor)

academy-slide03.jpg

Spyro and Jet-Vac having a little one-to-one chat.

heroes-bg.png

The Skylanders, Hugo and hey, look! Sheep are back.

enemies-bg.jpg

Kaos and Glumshanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

We got a trailer for the cartoon 

Honestly it doesn't look that bad I'll give it a watch.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.skylanders.com/academy/characters

Skylanders Academy makes its way to Netflix tomorrow! Are you excited?!

The Skylanders website has revealed the character bios for the show, and as expected, some things have changed from the game canon. (Jet-Vac and Pop Fizz are professors)

I can't wait to see how these characters are treated with this new direction. But I just hope Spyro won't be an annoying egomaniac. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Decided to watch the first few episodes, and I'm really enjoying it. Though they do throw a LOT of jokes. I haven't played the games though so I don't know if that's the norm, but I find them enjoyable none the less.

However I notice some shenanigans with the lip-syncing in the show, where one scene stuck out in particular where Jet Vac uttered half his sentence without his mouth moving in Episode 3.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, JohnVGC said:

Decided to watch the first few episodes, and I'm really enjoying it. Though they do throw a LOT of jokes. I haven't played the games though so I don't know if that's the norm, but I find them enjoyable none the less.

However I notice some shenanigans with the lip-syncing in the show, where one scene stuck out in particular where Jet Vac uttered half his sentence without his mouth moving in Episode 3.

The jokes in most games aren't as constant as far as I remember. However, in the latest game, Imaginators, there are a lot more jokes in the dialogue to match with the show. However, to remain consistent with the games, the voices are different from the show. (With the exception of Pop Fizz, Jet-Vac and Kaos, who had the same voice actors throughout the whole franchise)

And yes, I have noticed lip sync issues with the shows. Hopefully that will be fixed in Season 2.

Show's still great, though.

• 2 months later...

So, despite the rumors that the Skylanders series is going belly-up, Activision has stepped up to say...

latest?cb=20130721064710

"No, that's wrong!"

https://blog.activision.com/t5/Skylanders/Skylanders-Imaginators-Will-Be-a-Launch-Title-for-the-Nintendo/ba-p/10140118

With Skylanders Imaginators heading to the Nintendo Switch, new toys on the way, and Skylanders Academy returning to Netflix for a second season later this year, there’s never been a better time to by a fan of the franchise. So let’s get creating and see what you can do!

Academy second season production is still continuing. We're not going down without a fight.

Personally, I'm not taking a port of another game as an indication of the series future because, what if that's all we're getting in the game department? 

2 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Personally, I'm not taking a port of another game as an indication of the series future because, what if that's all we're getting in the game department? 

The thing that got me thinking on how Activision's gonna continue is not only Academy's continuation but the fact that they're ADDING new content to the game.

We're getting a new level and 100 new parts patched into the game. Skylanders games don't exactly update themselves, especially with content like this. The only time a game had a major change was SuperChargers.

Activision didn't need to patch in this new content, but they did.

Just now, PC the Hedgehog said:

When was it ever said the series was in danger of cancellation?

Apparently a tweet or something got out about someone claiming that dwindling sales of the games is causing Activision to halt production on Skylanders and Academy. It came from a reliable source, apparently. If you paid attention to the Skylanders fanbase, like message boards such as DarkSpyro, there was lots of speculation to the legitimacy of that claim. Regardless, lots of worry and uncertainty was clouding the franchise. Especially due to stock recently being rather scarce in some places. Especially where I live.

Although, this could be because of Toys for Bob's shitty methods for handling stock. I'll never forget the never ending nightmare that was Trap Team...