Awoo.

What's your favorite obscure Sonic song?

cjmoore25

Open Your Heart, Live and Learn, His World, these are songs that any Sonic fan knows by heart.

But what about the ones that not many people know about? Are their any songs related to this franchise that you really like that not many, if any, people talk about? If so, I encourage you to share them here.

They could be songs from commercials, songs that were remixed to promote an upcoming game in the series, songs from the anime, songs from one of those early techno albums SEGA released in the 90's, Songs from that weird Live in Sydney puppet show, unused songs, or even songs that were used in the games, but aren't talked about as much as the others.

If you feel it deserves more attention, now's your chance.

Starting off, I really like the song Wonderman by Right Said Fred, used to promote Sonic 3:

Speaking of songs promoting games, here's Tripod Baby by Japanese rap group M-Flo remixed to promote the Shadow the Hedgehog game (fun fact: M-Flo's former lead singer, who sang this, is LiSA, the singer of the Sword Art Online theme songs):

Speaking of Shadow, I also really like an unused main theme for the game, Who I Am by Magna-Fi:

And finally, I cannot express how criminally underrated My Destiny by Donna De Lory is. I don't care if it's the theme song of one the worst characters in the franchise (just pretend it's being sung from the perspective of Amy or Blaze or something), this song is amazing and deserves recognition goddamnit:

• Thumbs Up 1

How about a Sonic game that was never released!

Heck of a good song. Reminds me of music I dream about sometimes, which makes the song feel extra mystical to me.The rest of the demo tracks are pretty good too.

• Thumbs Up 4

What about Death Egg's Eye? I used to work out to this! c:

I think that's because it's kind of inspirational to me, honestly. I mean, this is the music playing when Sonic's facing his long time rival in Fighters. The subtitle, "Never Let It Go", just makes me never want to stop when I'm at my best, to never give up. I can be walking a couple miles, or doing a couple of reps. When I get tired, I just Never Let It Go.

• Thumbs Up 3

Heh.

Real talk though, probably this; "When We Reach For You" from Sonic Remix. Surprisingly the singer isn't Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, but they're bloody good. 

Edited by Tracker
  • Thumbs Up 4

Well I've got a whole list of 'em, including "Catch Me If You Can (Zero Gravity)", "Waking Up", "Chosen One", "His World (Zebrahead)", "Blue on the Run", "How it Started", "It Has Come to This", and any vocal track from SatBK not named "Knight of the Wind". But when all is said and done the topper has got to be "Supporting Me" because... well just listen for yourself:

• Thumbs Up 7

I've recently grown to really like The Final Fight from Sonic 3D: Flickies Island (Genesis/Mega Drive version). In contrast to other final boss music for Sonic games, it feels very empty and ominous, and uses relatively minimal instrumentation. Which I think really fits the mood for the actual final boss level itself-the entire level background is completely black, with only a limited selection of dark platform squares Sonic stands on the only thing that stands out from it aside from Sonic and Eggman themselves. It really helps establish a rather eerie setting, especially when the rest of the game prior was filled with colorful graphics.

Also from that game, I've also become very fond of the end credits theme (again, Genesis/Mega Drive version). It's a tune that has an odd, yet quirky instrumentation that bears what I feel is a somewhat melancholy melody to it. It overall feels like a conclusive tune to not just the game, but also the Sega Genesis era of Sonic as a whole, given how Sonic 3D was developed and released as the final Sonic game for that console.

• Thumbs Up 1

What counts as obscure? I don't really know how well known certain songs are. If I were to hazard a guess, though...:

• Thumbs Up 1

Can't find the original video, sadly but:

Also these:

And the immortal (anyone from Radio SEGA should know this way too much!):

How about a Sonic game that was never released!

Heck of a good song. Reminds me of music I dream about sometimes, which makes the song feel extra mystical to me.The rest of the demo tracks are pretty good too.

Well crap, I forgot about Sonic Xtreme.. Here's some I love from that too:

And, of course, Space Queens, as above.

This song gets me going.

Damnit, I forgot that too, love it! I also forgot how much I love this:

• Thumbs Up 4

Lol, regarding some selections so far, I'm pretty sure character themes played during end credits and music from stages that are mandatory to finish a main platformer Sonic game are not considered particularly obscure?

Anyway, two that spring to mind for me, both from tertiary Sonic soundtracks:

I love the intimidating mood to this one, fits Metal Sonic's intense, hatred filled personality to a tee, and the lyrics are gorgeously sinister ("He's put together the wrong way...").  I consider Metal Sonic's theme from Sonic 4 to be his official main theme (solidified by it's reuse in SaASRT), but in my head this suits him great as a vocal theme.

This remix is almost a bit TOO cool for Amy's personality as of Sonic Adventure, but it's a huge improvement over the original for me, which I honestly find a bit long-winded and plain to listen to despite one of my fave Sonic composers beind behind it.  This one has a lot of cool attitude behind it that I could imagine as a theme song for one of those many fanart depictions of a more badass "grown up" Amy.

• Thumbs Up 3

Tails Adventure Sea Fox plus i love this game XD..

Sonic Drfit 2 Milky Way, i remember how hard was to win.. even with an emulator.. Tails always got on my way.. still i really liked this theme.. its like Starlight carnival XD

Sonic Triple Trouble Opening gingle.. its short.. but i really liked it!

:)

• Thumbs Up 2

Everyone remember His World, right? Well, I think Bentley Jones's cover of it was pretty great. I wish it would have been something that had come in a version of the soundtrack.

• Thumbs Up 2

I wonder how many people here actually know what obscure means... I mean, I'm seeing a lot of stuff that can't really be classed as obscure since everyone who's played the games they're from would've heard them at some point and the games they're from are popular so most of us have played them... Just making an observation here.

• Thumbs Up 1

The original Tidal Tempest Bad Future music!

No offense but I'm pretty sure everyone here knows that one by now thanks to the remakes which contain both soundtracks.

Well since I finished all of Shadow's stories I can say one of my favourite tracks is in this one, I never hear anyone chatting about it.

Death Ruins! I would rarely hear this one on my travels, it's one of the least levels you get to go to. When I did though, I loved this track! The build up, the grungey feel to the jungle and the part I call "The Rave". Great track and heck, I remember it in one of the trailers and it got me hyped.

• Thumbs Up 5

Well since I finished all of Shadow's stories I can say one of my favourite tracks is in this one, I never hear anyone chatting about it.

Death Ruins! I would rarely hear this one on my travels, it's one of the least levels you get to go to. When I did though, I loved this track! The build up, the grungey feel to the jungle and the part I call "The Rave". Great track and heck, I remember it in one of the trailers and it got me hyped.

That reminds me of Prodigy, who I love! I actually totally forgot about that one myself!

• Thumbs Up 1