Awoo.

Alice Through the Looking Glass - Welcome back to Burtonland!

sonicgirl313

Yep the Tim Burton version of Alice in Wonderland managed to get a sequel. This time the plot seems to be that Alice must return to Underland to save the Mad Hatter from a villain simply known as Time. Honestly I was shocked that this movie got a sequel since I heard not too many people were fond of the first movie, you'd think Disney wouldn't want to chance it considering the fact they cancelled production for Tron 3 all because of the poor sales of Tommorrowland. But here it is and with the first trailer out, giving everyone a taste of the film. Also this film will not be directed by Tim Burton but rather James Bobin who has directed both of the Muppets Movies. But that's not to say Tim Burton will have no influence on the film since he's the producer.

Am I the only one who thought the first Tim  Burton movie was more so a "Through the Looking Glass" adaptation everything but name already? 

Wonder what they've got planned for this one. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually liked the previous film. It was a good movie, in my opinion.

Shocked to see it get a sequel, though, announced five years after the last one. And yes, Tim Burton is producer, but he's not directing...I'm worried.

I guess we'll see what happens. :/

The previous Alice in Wonderland film did get a rather mixed reception. But it also made over one billion dollars at the box office, which I'm sure is the main reason the sequel exists.

I just hope the second entry is a surprisingly improved sequel in terms of both writing and variation in its visuals. The first film focused way too much on visual style (one that was unnecessarily primarily grimdark too, I'd say) over substance in writing. Would had also liked it to be closer to the original second part of the book too, but with a personification of Time literally being the antagonist and the previous film already changed the story as it is, that has largely been thrown out the window.

EDIT: Interestingly though, the Red Queen is back. Her fate in the previous film, set by her sister the White Queen, was that she would be "ignored until the end of time". With Time actually being a character and not an abstract concept on how to measure events, I wonder how exactly this bends the rules in a way that allows her (and presumably, the Knave of Hearts too) to come back to Underland.

Edited by Gabe
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeeeah, I was one of the people who wasn't a big fan of the first one. I really liked the way the world of wonderland was created in the movie but the story was...out there. I do hope they fix the many issues of first movie with this one. 

They cancelled production for Tron 3 all because of the poor sales of Tommorrowland.

Hold the phone, what? For real?

Might only watch this because I like Sasha Baron Cohen, but other than that, eh, kind of unneeded film.

The previous Alice in Wonderland film did get a rather mixed reception. But it also made over one billion dollars at the box office, which I'm sure is the main reason the sequel exists.

I just hope the second entry is a surprisingly improved sequel in terms of both writing and variation in its visuals. The first film focused way too much on visual style (one that was unnecessarily primarily grimdark too, I'd say) over substance in writing. Would had also liked it to be closer to the original second part of the book too, but with a personification of Time literally being the antagonist and the previous film already changed the story as it is, that has largely been thrown out the window.

EDIT: Interestingly though, the Red Queen is back. Her fate in the previous film, set by her sister the White Queen, was that she would be "ignored until the end of time". With Time actually being a character and not an abstract concept on how to measure events, I wonder how exactly this bends the rules in a way that allows her (and presumably, the Knave of Hearts too) to come back to Underland.

Yeah, not sure how its going to play out. I'm a bit confused. The trailer did show specifically Time meeting with her, though, so that probably bends the rules since its time himself going to see her.

In regards to the film itself I enjoyed the first one, and I'm looking forward to this one. I probably won't go out of my way to see it, though. If some of my relatives pick up the movie I'll watch it with them, or if they go to the theatre to watch it I will, but I won't go out of my way to watch it.