Awoo.

State of Emergency in Paris - 11/13/15 - Terrorist Attacks

Kaze no Klonoa

The appalling lack of tact the American news media has is... well, appalling.  This wouldn't be so bad if it were actually informative, but right now, Fox and CNN are doing nothing but fear-mongering

Some people on Twitter have recommended BBC over CNN, but I think that's a UK only channel?  Anyway, that might be more worth your time if you want to keep up to date on the crisis.

Edited by Tara

So no knowledge about the attackers, then? Well, it's far, far more important to stop them first, then try to figure it out, but obviously knowing the organization (if there is one) is certainly important.

There's obvious rumours going around- some French and German TV saying they were shouting "for Syria" and "allahu akbar". Nothing's been officially confirmed though, which is for the best so far, probably; it's also genuinely not a bad guess though, especially when you realise this is basically the Hebdo attack on steroids.

There's circa 7 locations confirmed, I think, but the focus in reporting has been obviously on the Stadium and the Concert Hall, and then for some reason one Restaurant near the Stadium.

EDIT: Tara, BBC broadcasts online. Go with that.

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-34815972

Here's the France24 English feed too

http://www.france24.com/en/livefeed

Edited by The KKM
  • Thumbs Up 1

ANSA agency apparently confirms that ISIS claims authority of the attacks through a magazine they have?, I see in some Portuguese tweets

"Estado Islâmico reivindica ataques de Paris através da secção francesa sua revista de propaganda Dabiq (agência ANSA)"

Islamic State claims Paris attacks through the French section of their propaganda magazine Dabiq (ANSA news agency).

I'll try to check on this.

Edited by The KKM

http://www.ansa.it/sito/notizie/mondo/2015/11/13/tre-sparatorie-a-parigi-vittime_1a91057f-5905-49e3-8d4a-592668bf11cc.html

Anyone good enough with Italian to confirm that this says what I said above, that ISIS claims authority calling this the French 9/11 through their propaganda mag?

EDIT:

Calais IS burning, then. The refugee camp, I mean.

Edited by The KKM

http://www.ansa.it/sito/notizie/mondo/2015/11/13/tre-sparatorie-a-parigi-vittime_1a91057f-5905-49e3-8d4a-592668bf11cc.html

Anyone good enough with Italian to confirm that this says what I said above, that ISIS claims authority calling this the French 9/11 through their propaganda mag?

Apparently so; they're also claiming Rome as one of their next objectives.

Funnily enough, they did so for months and months, but each time they got ridicolized by either blantant grammar errors or by the fact that Rome is a city so busy, moving inside of it in any kind of organized way is fucking impossible.

• Thumbs Up 1

So this is an ISIS operation?

While I don't retract my statements about fear-mongering, I'll concede that, if this is true, then I guess the preemptive accusations were correct.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is really, really depressing.

I don't know what to say, really... I know nobody from France but it's still horrible to know that innocent people are being killed by such heartless bastards. I will pray for the people of France, for this is terrible news.

Couple of updates, both from BBC's feed.

A total of five killers may be dead so far.  Fucking FIVE.

49f1a46c4498c46175314b5445208eb3.png

Also, the German football team is still stuck at the Stadium that was attacked.  Here's hoping they are brought to safety soon!

5c382ea3054e1bb4c2430250b8ec0cc2.png

Edited by Tara

This is really terrifying. While I personally do not know anyone from Paris, I hope that everyone will manage to stay safe.

What kind of sick person would do such a thing? 

Some more good news, no casualties from the police during the Bataclan raid

Press are stating that the streets are a lot more quiet now, it's definitely died down. Still a mad hunt tho, stay safe

• Thumbs Up 3

The scariest part is that from what I heard on Portuguese TV, Daesh claimed the attack as a retaliation against a French operation in Syria... that happened today. Now, this is most likely some grandstanding, but if not, means they were ready enough to react in hours in a very organized manner.

About that ISIS thing...

I may be diving in some wacky conspiracy theory here (well, according to my recent status, my brain is already in BSoD, and my mind is sure reeling from the terrorist attack news), but isn't these things... things that could, you know, trigger a world war? Ya know, last time we had an ethnic cleansing thing on a worldwide scale, for what I remember, it was called Adolf Hitler.

Edited by ZDozer

You had bigger ethnic cleansings after Hitler, just none so organized.

Regardless, no conspiracy theory there, it IS the kind of thing that'd have caused a world war before. Nowadays most states are too agglomerated in economical treaties to be able to have a World War- you'd need to dissolve the UN, NATO, etc.

• Thumbs Up 2

About that ISIS thing...

I may be diving in some wacky conspiracy theory here (well, according to my recent status, my brain is already in BSoD, and my mind is sure reeling from the terrorist attack news), but isn't these things... things that could, you know, trigger a world war? Ya know, last time we had an ethnic cleansing thing on a worldwide scale, for what I remember, it was called Adolf Hitler.

Well it's not like a major nation's supporting them, and ISIS doesn't have the firepower to do it themselves (if they have then they would've captured Syria already), so no it won't start another World War unless Arab decides to help out ISIS for some reason

• Thumbs Up 2

I wonder if things like those attacks could make the US form an "enemy mine" alliance with Russia in order to hit ISIS.

No because of Syria. Even if both the US, or the West in general, and Russia take military action against ISIS, the West does so in spite of being against Erdogan while Russia does it supposedly because they're allies of Erdogan. Syria blocks any political union.

• Thumbs Up 2