Awoo.

Bubsy Two-Fur

Klinsy

Hey hey, gamers, everywhere, your old pal Bubsy is back! ... and I can't quote him because I promised to never quote him again.

Up on Stream Greenlight, this game gives you a Two Fur one deal(get it?) of the SNES version of Bubsy 1 and Bubsy 2, no, that one is not included.

But it needs to get, well, green lit before the cat can get out of the bag.

Besides, the description makes you feel bad for the poor ol bobcat:

Accolade’s most notorious character had not been seen since an ill-fated venture into 3-D. Out of the blue, he showed up at Retroism’s doorstep, bedraggled and mumbling about being doomed to a legacy of shame and obscurity. But we’ve cleaned him up and given him a new lease on life, a shot at returning to the big time – but he’ll need your support!

Bubsy’s journey to redemption begins with your vote to bring two of his 2-D games to authorized digital download for the first time in the Bubsy Two-Fur on Steam. With your support, Bubsy may finally be able to look himself in the mirror and smile, carry himself with dignity, and perhaps find the strength within to go on new adventures again…

Anyways, if you want to support this, you will be helping out Bubsy's creator, who needs all the help he can get with him unfortunately having cancer.

And if it does well enough, we'll get more catastic adventures with Bubsy.

• Thumbs Up 1

What can possibly go wrong?

Well, ok, this might not be bad. Bubsy was at his worst in Busy 3D and the cartoon. I don't know how bad his 2D games were, but I certainly don't think they were THAT bad. Probably not too inspiring, though... I'm not sure really.

You know what would be cool? Super Bubsy rejiggered to work on something newer than when Packard Bell still sold computers. A PC version of the slightly crappier version of the original console release isn't something I'm going to get hot and bothered for.

Voted no without thinking too much about it; Steam has enough garbage games, the last thing it needs is another stain blasting from the past.

I'd probably vote Yes for the lols, but I doubt I'll ever see myself picking it up anytime soon. I'm actually OK with this coming on Steam though, since despite the infamy it doesn't seem like many (including me) have ever had the chance to play this atrocity. It's a good relic of old history, a really weird one at that.

I'd probably vote Yes for the lols, but I doubt I'll ever see myself picking it up anytime soon. I'm actually OK with this coming on Steam though, since despite the infamy it doesn't seem like many (including me) have ever had the chance to play this atrocity. It's a good relic of old history, a really weird one at that.

Well, Bubsy 3D and the cartoon were the worst of the bunch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubsy_in_Claws_Encounters_of_the_Furred_Kind

According to this the first game was actually well praised when it first came out. It wasn't until years later when it was called "mediocre".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubsy_2

Likewise, the second was seen as an improvement, although it wasn't considered to be great or amazing or anything like that. So the original two certainly weren't "atrocities," they just were more "meh" than anything.

Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tales and Bubsy 3D, though... ESPECIALLY the latter one... yeah...

I have to admit, I loved the Bubsy games as a little kid (I owned both 1 and 2 on Genesis). Even back then I could tell that the games weren't that great due to all of the cheap deaths, but, I kept playing them anyway. Bubsy has always been a guilty pleasure for me. So, I went ahead and voted yes.

Accolade’s most notorious character had not been seen since an ill-fated venture into 3-D. Out of the blue, he showed up at Retroism’s doorstep, bedraggled and mumbling about being doomed to a legacy of shame and obscurity. But we’ve cleaned him up and given him a new lease on life, a shot at returning to the big time – but he’ll need your support!

Bubsy’s journey to redemption begins with your vote to bring two of his 2-D games to authorized digital download for the first time in the Bubsy Two-Fur on Steam. With your support, Bubsy may finally be able to look himself in the mirror and smile, carry himself with dignity, and perhaps find the strength within to go on new adventures again…

Well, when you put it that way, how could I possibly say "yes?"

On a serious note, I don't think I'm going to bother to vote either way.  It's a bad game, but it's not actually ripping anyone off, since we know exactly the level of garbage we're getting into.  Although, it's surprisingly hard for me to not have a bit of a soft-spot for the miserable cat, if only because it brings me back to that era of gaming in general, not because he's some beloved childhood memory.

Edited by Tara

The first Bubsy plays like a Sonic game mixed with a later Classicvania title. The levels tend to be far too large, and some of them actually push you towards the end of the ten minute time limit. The level design alternates between passable but bland to occasionally inspired to infuriating (but it usually tends to be more interesting to explore than than Sonic 2), and it's loaded with cheap deaths from enemies and the environment unless you play it meticulously because Bubsy only takes one hit (not really worse than Sonic 2's worst points, mind you, but Sonic 2 gave you rings). Everything you do has momentum (to jump your max height you need to have some horizontal movement, for example) to the point of the game having falling damage, and Bubsy goes really god damned fast, and the only way you can change direction is by gliding mid jump (just trying to change direction without doing so leads you to simply slow your air speed). The physics never really "work" for what the game presents itself as, but they are actually easy to understand and once you realize just how useful the glide is compared to just jumping (it drastically increases how much of your hitbox causes damage to enemies, for example) the game is much easier. The music is actually pretty good and the graphics are decent enough (if rather bland mostly) with detailed spritework, though the SNES version sounds worse but plays a bit better (because you can use the triggers to move the camera forward of your direction while in motion, which can only be done while stationary in the Genny version).

Really, the main issue with the first game was just how absolutely shameless of a ripoff it was of Sonic and how much Accolade was attempting to force it to be a legitimate competitor anyway through their obnoxious marketing campaigns as opposed to any real quality deficiencies. It's about as good as the original Jazz Jackrabbit is (and suffers from some similar problems), but it's no Awesome Possum-style disaster. There are a decent amount of fondly remembered platformers from the same time period that were worse when it came to actually playing them.

The second one plays a lot like Sonic Rush with the camera of Sonic CD or Jazz Jackrabbit. All of the momentum was stripped from the controls, the level design is much worse (levels sprawl out all over the place and look identical in spots, so it's very difficult to understand where you need to go), there are far too many levels with far too few themes, most of the gameplay additions are gimmicky as hell, and the graphics are very inconsistent (the JonTron video does a good job showing this), the music is generic to the point of sounding like it came from a puzzle game and the bosses are all atrocious compared to the pretty good Mario World-esque ones of the first game; but it gets a lot of mileage out of the fact that you can take three hits before you die and every level is loaded with with health restorers. It's easily the worse of the two titles, but it's also infinitely more approachable than the first.

Bubsy 3D is a platformer that looks like Virtua Racing and controls like Tomb Raider but released after Super Mario 64 and Crash Bandicoot which mistakes "constantly mocking its own deficiencies" as "wit". Nothing more really needs to be said there.

• 1 month later...

The Bubsy games on Megadrive and SNES are actually not that bad, just the controls are iffy and the game itself is surprisingly hard. Bubsy 3D on the other hand...I can't believe I actually grew up playing that game. smh

Anyway, hopefully this release on Steam will at least improve the dodgy controls of the originals.

Oh dear. I voted for this game for the laughs and lo and behold, it's out now. I played the original as part of a SSMB Holiday Gaming challenge and um.. well, it wasn't bad to play. Definitely awkward, but not broken. The one big issue I had was the damn forest level being too open and the amount of cheap deaths it has. I even nicknamed it "Cheap Deaths: The Game". I am a little intrigued in what the sequel is like though, and I wouldn't mind having it in my Steam collection to be quite honest. 

The Bubsy games on Megadrive and SNES are actually not that bad, just the controls are iffy and the game itself is surprisingly hard. Bubsy 3D on the other hand...I can't believe I actually grew up playing that game. smh

Anyway, hopefully this release on Steam will at least improve the dodgy controls of the originals.

The release is a straight up port, unfortunately.

It's out, and that's it. Hopefully it'll do OK enough to see Bubsy get some justice.

Oh no! Poor Bubsy! His first attempt at getting back in the game is a botched port! You poor, poor bastard. Duke Nukem can survive purgatory but you my poor rip off can't even get a decent port. 

Will there ever be justice? 

Prepare for everything to go wrong

Welp, you called it big time considering what's going on with dang game on Steam. Oh yeah, and the whole illegal emulation crap too.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly I'm not surprised. They probably wouldn't even bother trying to port the actual game to PC anyway, that takes effort. Right?

Oh dear. I voted for this game for the laughs and lo and behold, it's out now. 

This post is like a cautionary tale for people voting for Donald trump as a joke.

SERIOUSLY THOUGH, I guess it's nice to see that this piece of gaming history will be preserved, I guess.  I would be perhaps morbidly curious as to if something new ever came out of it, but I'm betting this is probably all just a quick cash grab.

• Thumbs Up 7

Honestly I'm not surprised. They probably wouldn't even bother trying to port the actual game to PC anyway, that takes effort. Right?

Ironically, a PC port of Bubsy technically already exists.