Awoo.

Can we talk about the Sonic Social Media outlets for a moment...

Badnik Mechanic

I love it! The only reason I really check Twitter these days is for Sonic's account (and I was laughing pretty hard this morning at the conversation between it and the Nintendo one).

I haven't really got much to say though, I love it for what it does.

• Thumbs Up 1

Being completely honest, Aaron is one of the best things to happen to Sonic. People don't seem to realize how much his interactivity with the community helps. Not only does it show that Sega are happy to interact with the community and have fun with the fans who have made Sonic the icon he is, but it also means that Sega can see their mistakes and have a bit of a laugh and have some fun with it. It shows they can laugh at themselves, rather than get defensive, or just keeping quiet.

Edited by Ryannumber1gamer
  • Thumbs Up 8

To me, Aaron is to Sonic's Twitter what Flynn and his crew are to Sonic's comics: They're not just people who happen to work with the franchise without putting any research or thought into it (looking at you, Pontac and Graff); they're fans, just like you and me. They know Sonic like the backs of their hands, and they're perfectly willing to give a nod to certain memes and cliche's of the fans.

So, I'm all for this! Sonic's Twitter account has gone from a bland promotional tool to a barrel of laughs on a constant basis! There's a reason Sonic's social media channel has been getting so much attention lately. There's nothing wrong with being a little silly and giving back to fans. And the way the games are going, we need all the fanservice we can get. 

disservice_2032.jpg

ARRRGHHH! NOT WHAT I MEANT!

• Thumbs Up 7

As long as the social media accounts stay as hilarious as they are and continue to portray the franchise in a positive light while also drumming up newcomers, I have zero complaints about how Aaron handles things.

The man has done a fantastic job.

Interesting topic. I'd say that the Sonic twitter account have made the bold move from the marketing methods of the old to the new. SEGA couldn't be more on fleek with that decision. Social media craves attention, but is also very sceptical towards the obvious. The old ways of marketing is what we call "spam" nowadays. Millennials, raised by extreme marketing, sees brands as "persons" and assumes they act like one and that they're clear with their values. The Sonic twitter account have perfected that and it will be taught in schools eventually. It's that good.  

EDIT: Call in AAUK into the discussion. He knows more.

Edited by AC/H&M
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh man, Eggman took over. Clearly giving the fans what we want.

I have to catch up on all these audio responses now.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was just thinking about this earlier today, and I agree that Aaron Webber is doing a terrific job running the Sonic accounts. I'm glad he's giving more personality to them and it's good to see that even people at SEGA can joke about their past mistakes and whatnot instead of just 'sweeping them under the rug'. It's wonderful to see how they have evolved since the beginning.

I always love a good "Take that!" as well. I was so happy when Gametrailer got put right in their fucking places;

karaszkun:  good-sonic-shit:  Gametrailers makes a video on how Sonic should die, they call anybody that liked Colors or Generations delusional, proceed to get rekd by the Sonic Twitter  Whoever is running that account is good at comebacks.

I completely agree, this is certainly something that needed to be said. I'm sure Aaron was a little nervous about tweeting this response, because it seems kind of like a risky step directly pointing something like this out while representing all of Sonic. But it worked out great in the end, I think this was one of the first moments everyone realized that Aaron was going to do a great job running the social media accounts. c:

• Thumbs Up 1

I really love the social media accounts, Aaron Webber has done a great job at entertaining many people, in and out of the Sonic community. He really gets how to interact with the community by posting some pretty dank memes cause who doesn't love dank memes? (I know I don't, I'm the latest meme in SSMB after all :P) and doing playful jabs at some of SEGA's mistakes. 

I feel it's definitely important to have a sense of humility when it comes to be comedic (which is kind of why the Soni meme is doing well for some reason :P) so hey, atleast Aaron isn't afraid to point out the flaws and have fun with it. 

While of course, this kind of stuff isn't going to tickle everyone's fancy but the fact that many people are convinced that Aaron Webber is doing a major disservice and he should fired and all that stuff is just tragic, not for Aaron but for those people, like do they even have a sense of humor or join in on the fun? I really don't get why some people are so disgusted when it comes to these things.

But enough of that, Aaron is an awesome dude and does a great job bringing a community and interacting with many other accounts like who would've known that the Deus Ex twitter would be a huge bro to the Sonic twitter! It's kind of amazing, also love how Aaron pokes fun at IGN and Jim Sterling as well and those two play along with it as well, which is very good way to handle it (though I won't forgive IGN for giving Unleashed a worse score than 06).

Thought it would be nice if Aaron could promote more of the stuff the series is showing off, I love how Aaron promoted the season finale of Boom during the Eggman takeover but I wish he could've done that a lot more. He done so for Lost Steam and Dash 2, if I recall properly. But yeah, outside of that, he's done a great job and I have no qualms with his work.

• Thumbs Up 1

12247148_10153714986552418_1569557765842

12249876_10153715115642418_5710692604353

Shots fired! XD

But here Mario has the better 'stache, sorry Eggy!

Edited by Ming Ming Yuigahama
  • Thumbs Up 6

Regarding the ambiguity of the community manager role; from what I could glean from those who have spoken with the SEGA staff, he is in fact the community manager for all things Sonic, while all things community that are non-Sonic are managed by Sam Mullen.

Anyway: I think Aaron's done a phenomenal job since his taking over from Kellie. I told myself he had some big shoes to fill given SEGA's friendliness towards its community... he's filled them to the point of bursting.

I guess Kellie had a more... businesslike way to running things? She was good at answering questions, organizing events, etc., but the social media was never on fire like this before. She was certainly very for fan engagement from all I could see, of course, but in a different manner.

Aaron's professional as well, but he embodies the more lighthearted nature of the video gaming industry, I think. He's willing to answer the serious questions but all for playing around as well. It's honestly refreshing when there are still quite a few companies who have a more cold, serious demeanor to their public relations.

I think his real test will come when he has to organize his first Sonic Boom event as a full community manager. If he can both pull that off AND maintain excellent social media shenanigans, well, I don't think we could really do any better for a social media/community manager.

• Thumbs Up 6

But here Mario has the better 'stache, sorry Eggy!

Ming Ming, no! :c

Anyway: I think Aaron's done a phenomenal job since his taking over from Kellie. I told myself he had some big shoes to fill given SEGA's friendliness towards its community... he's filled them to the point of bursting.

I guess Kellie had a more... businesslike way to running things? She was good at answering questions, organizing events, etc., but the social media was never on fire like this before. She was certainly very for fan engagement from all I could see, of course, but in a different manner.

Aaron's professional as well, but he embodies the more lighthearted nature of the video gaming industry, I think. He's willing to answer the serious questions but all for playing around as well. It's honestly refreshing when there are still quite a few companies who have a more cold, serious demeanor to their public relations.

I think his real test will come when he has to organize his first Sonic Boom event as a full community manager. If he can both pull that off AND maintain excellent social media shenanigans, well, I don't think we could really do any better for a social media/community manager.

I couldn't agree more, Noelgilvie. c:

While I never cared much for the memes and interaction with Twitter and Facebook, I'll say I'm glad others are liking it.

Though I did like the Eggman take over bit, that was great.

You know, back in 2011 Aaron is nowhere as cheeky as he is now, why is it so ? (If only Aaron was this cheecky when he marketed Binary Domain....).

You know, back in 2011 Aaron is nowhere as cheeky as he is now, why is it so ? (If only Aaron was this cheecky when he marketed Binary Domain....).

Well, he wasn't in control of things back then is probably a big reason.

I think when he became the head of community operations, he had to make the decision any manager does: how am I going to run things? During a RadioSEGA show, he said that he made the decision early on that rather than just be a PR outlet for Sonic titles, he'd try to liven things up and have some fun with it.

My guess is that he didn't really think about being super playful in demeanor until he was in the senior management position and had to decide the social media's direction. That's not to say he wasn't playful at all beforehand, of course, but I imagine there was more seriousness demanded of the brand manager position than the community manager position. One handles products, one handles the fans. Even if from what I know, the brand and community manager roles did tend to bleed into each other somewhat during Aaron's tenure, most likely as a result of his having been an assistant community manager beforehand.

Edited by Noelgilvie
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm conflicted.
It reminds me of Capcom with Megaman, when they made American Cover megaman a bonus character in a fighting game right after cancelling all games and essentially killing him.
On one hand, that joke is hilarious and in every other situation I'd have a hearty laugh, on the other hand, will geez. Feels like someone shot your dog and then follows it up with a Bond one liner. Funny or not, that's a punch to the soul.

Of course the Sonic situation isn't THAT grim...And neither Is megaman perhaps considering the movie rumor, but.
There isn't much of an alternative to internet meme Sonic is there? Sonic Boom's one big joke, Sonic runners is so much a joke it has the Death Egg zone and the astract concept of invincibility as Sonic's buddies, Sonic Lost world's attempts at story got buried under the jokes.

There's funny jokes, definitly. Webber got IGN good, having Death Egg zone being Sonic's buddy could comes straight out of a stupid cartoon I made.
But I can't ignore there's a bittersweetness to it all.
This is it, huh? Shadow is "Ow the edge".
Eggman is"get a LOAD of this"
Amy is "Insert comical internet meme".

Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric and a handful of inconsequential scenes from Lost world being the only moments treating the cast not as meaningless punchline and nostalgia generators for over half a decade isn't giving me much hope outside the gameplay.

There's something about this situation makes me feel very old and melancholy.
Sonic 2016 better have some amazing gameplay, because it has a big void to fill.
Because keep in mind, this isn't JUST about the PR. This is an ongoing shift in focus in the fans, th staff and the cast itself that's been going on for almost a decade, it just keeps getting more and more intense and transparent.

And the fact it's winning and a great succes makes fighting against it hopeless.
Which means people unhappy about the change will only get more and more vicious, bitter and desperate. Or just feel old and tired.
Poor fans... Maybe you should tell us a few jokes to make us happy again.

Edited by Roger_van_der_weide
  • Thumbs Up 7

So yesterday was marked as Sonic CD's 22nd Anniversary and the image that was put up was:

12243576_10153716681427418_8674881912068

followed up by Aaron-as-Sonic posting a clip from the OVA to explain the reference

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm conflicted.
It reminds me of Capcom with Megaman, when they made American Cover megaman a bonus character in a fighting game right after cancelling all games and essentially killing him.
On one hand, that joke is hilarious and in every other situation I'd have a hearty laugh, on the other hand, will geez. Feels like someone shot your dog and then follows it up with a Bond one liner. Funny or not, that's a punch to the soul.

Of course the Sonic situation isn't THAT grim...And neither Is megaman perhaps considerin the movie rumor, but.
There isn't much of an alternative to internet meme Sonic is there? Sonic Boom's one big joke, Sonic runners is so much a joke it has the Death Egg zone and the astract concept of invincibility as Sonic's buddies, Sonic Lost world's attempts at story got buried under the jokes.

There's funny jokes, definitly. Webber got IGN good, having Death Egg zone being Sonic's buddy could comse straight out of a stupid cartoon I made.
But I can't ignore there's a bittersweetness to it all.
This is it, huh? Shadow is "Ow the edge".
Eggman is"get a LOAD of this"
Amy is "Insert comical internet meme".

Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric and a handful of inconsequential scenes from Lost world being the only moments treating the cast not as meaningless punchline and nostalgia generators for over half a decade isn't giving me much hope outside the gameplay.

There's something about this situation makes me feel very old and melancholy.
Sonic 2016 better have some amazing gameplay, because it has a big void to fill.
Because keep in mind, this isn't JUST about the PR. This is an ongoing shift in focus in the fans, th staff and the cast itself that's been going on for almost a decade, it just keeps getting more and more intense and transparent.

And the fact it's winning and a great succes makes fighting against it hopeless.
Which means people unhappy about the change will only get more and more vicious, bitter and desperate. Or just feel old and tired.
Poor fans... Maybe you should tell us a few jokes to make us happy again.

Not to sound like a meanie or anything but you lost me. Like, where's the point of your post and how does this relate to this thread?

• Thumbs Up 2