Awoo.

Steam Autumn/Winter Sale 2015: Without Daily Deals?!?!

Kaze no Klonoa

The dates for both the Steam Autumn/Black Friday (Depending on however you want to call it) and the Steam Winter Sale have reportedly been revealed. Mark your calendars for Nov. 25th (10 AM PT)-Dec. 1st (10 am PT) for the Autumn Sale, and Dec. 22nd (10 AM PT)-January 4th (10 AM PT) for the Winter Sale. This was revealed in a report that came up in the Steamworks development group, which a reddit user managed to find out.

“In past sale events, we’ve asked for two discounts—a duration discount that runs for the length of the sale, and a feature discount that runs in the event that a game is featured on the front page,” the statement reads. “This year, to optimize the sale for customers and to allow us to feature and recommend your products in more ways to more customers, we’re asking for just one discount, to run the length of the sale.”

Top games will still be highlighted on Steam’s front page for 24 - 48 hour spans, but those that are highlighted will stay at their most competitive discount, before and after its featured.

This may or may not be a massive deal breaker, as the potential daily deals of tons of great games being off for a great price is almost being nonexistent. Let's hope that these sales will still have some great prices for these games, because it seems like they're getting less and less more enticing/interesting every year. It's not known exactly why this decision has been made, although the refund option may be one of the many factors put into it.

Welp, I just got a shit ton of Steam Gift Cards, so I'm waiting for some big deals on things like MGS Rising and Rocket League. But chances are (and knowing Konami with the Metal Gear-side especially), they may not be as grand of a discount as they used to be.

• Thumbs Up 3

Is my wallet even ready for the Steam sale?

No. Sit back and let people gift you games instead this time.

Also, as for the sale itself, I'm not too bummed out about daily deals. Usually when Steam sales happen I just buy whatever games I want at the given price during the sale. I can't say that I've ever bought anything for super cheap during a daily deal, except Psychonauts which just happened to be on a daily deal when I was buying some games a few years back. With that said, I can see why some are upset, as I know some of the more hardcore money savers wait until the very last day of the sale to make a purchase in case it goes on a daily deal. 

Edited by ElectricAngel
  • Thumbs Up 3

Also, as for the sale itself, I'm not too bummed out about daily deals. Usually when Steam sales happen I just buy whatever games I want at the given price during the sale. I can't say that I've ever bought anything for super cheap during a daily deal, except Psychonauts which just happened to be on a daily deal when I was buying some games a few years back. With that said, I can see why some are upset, as I know some of the more hardcore money savers wait until the very last day of the sale to make a purchase in case it goes on a daily deal. 

Personally, it's less of a problem to deal with. A sale is happening. A game is at this price. Only having one discount will remove the unnecessary wait-out to hope the game will eventually go up for a better price later that week. The prices may not be better, but buying games is a lot less stressful then say, the Summer Sale, where I spent all of those days, sitting around a hoping for a game to go on for a better discount, only for it to not.

Ugh. Of course the Daily Deals are removed. It was perhaps the only way for me to get anything from those sales. Now there is no point to even buying anything. I have no money as it is and this isn't helping.

Oh well.

Edited by SSF1991
  • Thumbs Up 3

Not too beat up over it, personally.  It removes the frustration of knowing that there will be a better deal later down the line.

Yeah nothing here says that the sale-long prices won't be as low as daily deals used to be, but it sounds like that decision is ultimately up to the developer.

It makes more sense to me really.  In past Steam sales, there'll be one of two situations - either I think "oh I should wait til daily" and my hype remains intact and do so, or "oh I should wait til daily" and during that wait I have time to think and admit I'm not THAT fussed about the game actually, and don't buy it.  There's usually like a 50/50 chance of it going one way or the other with me.  I'm guessing Valve's goal here is to remove the latter possibility.

Assuming the price is low enough, of course.

Is my wallet even ready for the Steam sale?

No! No! Take that well deserved break!

I'm only interested if the games I'm interested in are discounted. (Actually, the Winter Sale was when I bought the bundle of Sonic games last year).

• Thumbs Up 1

I've never been interested in a lot of the games that go up on sale anyway. A good chunk of what they show either isn't cheap enough for me to want to buy it or it generally doesn't appeal to me in the first place.

Overall I'm indifferent about the lack of daily sales right now but let's just wait and see how everything turns out.

Short of Krome suddenly dropping those classic TY ports they were talking about, my wallet will probably survive this intact.

I'm thankful my range of video games is rather limited. :x It saves me a loooot of the budgeting headaches that Steam brings down on people.

It's that time again: so soon and with so many games i stil have to play in my library.

Reguardless, i'll aim at my wishlist's top games, with priority on my remaining Ys title, Grandia II HD, Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Aquaria and Ori and the Blind Forest.

With any luck, my time to obtain Rocket League might very well arise in this timeframe.

The Steam Exploration Sale is live!

Surprisingly the "no daily deal" discount thing isn't as bad as I thought it'd be, because now a larger range of the games I want to get at least have a good enough discount shaved off. If you want to horde a lot of games, this is a pretty dang good sale. If you want to get a particularly big game at a good price...well prepare to get sorta disappointed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, looks like I'm not going to be getting Batman: Broken Knight and Sonic Lost Steam for awhile, then.

Was also hoping that Shantae and the Pirate's Curse would go down just a little bit more as I really want to play that before Half-Genie Hero comes out.

• Thumbs Up 2

I got myself Age of Mythology Extended (soon to get a new expansion) and BlazBlue Continuum Shift extend for $15 (7,50 each), not to shabby, but I don't think I'll spend in anything else til the winter sale. (not to mention I've been keeping myself plenty entertained with Starcraft II and PSO2 lately)

I'd like to heartfully all recommend you ORI AND THE GOD DAMN BLIND FOREST

A fantastic game that's off for 40%, beautiful visuals, beautiful music, fluid gameplay, it's allll there. So go pick that up!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/261570/

My other recommended pick-ups would be Fallout NV: Ultimate Edition, To the Moon, and Rocket League.

Transformers Devastation is 34% off at $32 due to the sale now

http://store.steampowered.com/app/338930/

Not the best of all the deals, but for those who were holding out on the game due to the price-to-hours ratio beforehand, this price is a lot more realistic in comparison.

Also the War for Cybertron/Fall of Cybertron games are also on sale for $4.99 and $12.49 respectively, but I've heard that their sales are practically regular for these sales events, so nothing new on that front I guess.

Very tempted to buy "Ys: The Oath in Felghana (70%), Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth (80%), and Azure Strikebolt (50%); buuuuuut I am busy rn with my backlog so I am not sure if I´ll be playing them anytime soon i also need to study lol

...I am pretty sure I say this in every Steam sales thread

Edited by Ristar

Very tempted to buy "Ys: The Oath in Felghana (70%), Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth (80%), and Azure Strikebolt (50%); buuuuuut I am busy rn with my backlog so I am not sure if I´ll be playing them anytime soon i also need to study lol

...I am pretty sure I say this in every Steam sales thread

I'd say at least get Ys above anything else since it quite possibly one of the best ARPG's ever made (though its more like a hack n slash).