Awoo.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 returns with Kickstarter!

Klinsy

"Jim Henson's MST3K Babies"

So, a long time ago, there was a show about a guy and his two robots watching terrible movies and being harassed by a person named Forester and their sidekicks, did I mention the guy and the person named Forester changed between seasons? Yeah.

It's actually pretty good, making even the worst of movies watchable with funny commentary.

And with Kickstarter, it's back!

So far, three episodes have been funded and if it gets enough money, we'll get a grand total of twelve.

Oh, and there is a new guy with the robots and a new person named Forester.

Hopefully a sequel to Barb Wire doesn't get a Kickstarter and mess things up.

• Thumbs Up 3

I posted this a few days ago and no one cared ;A;

Anyway, I'm so happy to see that it's making a return! Here's hoping it'll be even half as good as the original.

How did I not know about this before? Though Christmas is quickly approaching, I'm sure I'll have at least some money to kick into bringing MST3K back. I know it's already funded, but the show gave me so many laughs that I still want to throw in the support.

I was considering making a topic a while ago, but I never got around to it... I'm so glad someone else did, haha.

I'm pretty damn pumped for this, and I really hope they make the 12 episode goal! I need some MST3k in my life. I have fond memories of watching this show with my dad when I was younger, and watching episodes on dvd with him as well. 

I'm probably gonna help fund it before this all ends.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. I'm pretty surprised this topic hasn't been active!

But in case you haven't been following the kickstarter, there's only 32 hours left before the kickstarter closes. In the meantime, they've successfully managed to make enough for 9 episodes, and we've got some new hosts as well, such as the Nerdist's Jonah Ray as the main host, and Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt as the new mads.

We've also got several offers from celebrities to cameo, ranging from folks like Jack Black, Neil Patrick Harris, and Mark Hamill.

Overall, I'm pretty interested in seeing where this is going. I'm kind of having doubts about the kickstarter making it to all 12 episodes... but hey, 9 episodes aren't too shabby. 

What are your thoughts on the news?

EDIT: Apparently we got some guest writers as well!

Interesting lineup we have, What with having the Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon of Rick and Morty fame being one of them, and Rober Lopez of Avenue Q and Frozen writing Some songs as well.

I really appreciated Joel's lengthy explanation about the possibilities of the old cast/writers coming back, and why they're being changed now. He went into tremendous detail about why they can't just do a full-on reunion, and that they're more interested in continuing the legacy of the show rather than retreading on the same old ground. I haven't backed this Kickstarter, but the dude just got a ton of new respect from me because of that.

Edited by Sean
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's now fully funded! We're getting a full 13 episodes which includes a holiday special! I can't wait!

Edited by Kevin

Whoa! I didn't hear about this kick-starter whatsoever... Well am very happy it got fully funded. I loved the old show. :>

• 1 year later...

Bumping topic for announcement date:

April 14th on netflix!

And a first image of the set and the main cast:

qpadpeb3knhgqphvhojw.jpg

I'm so glad this is happening, a new season of MST3k. I grew up watching this show all the time with my dad, and to see it make a comeback is really hyping me up. In addition, a bunch of big name fans are going to be involved with the production, like Pendleton Ward of Adventure Time, and Rebecca and Steven Sugar of Steven Universe. Even guest stars like Neil Patrick Harris, Jack Black and Mark Hamill are going to make appearances.

April 14th can't come soon enough!

• Thumbs Up 1

I am so looking forward to this!  I can only hope the new season will be as good as the old seasons.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been watching the episodes they have up on Netflix, and I'm really looking forward to the revival season on the 14th.

Watch out for snakes.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

So now that it's out on Netflix, for those who've seen it, what are your thoughts? As someone who grew up with the original series, I'm personally enjoying it so far. The host segments aren't that great, but that was true of the original too. My only complaint is that they go a little too quick with the jokes so they don't get time to register, but other than that, I think they did a great job.

I'm only one episode in. It's good, though a few things kind of bug me. The voices will take some getting used to, especially Gypsy, who actually has a female voice now.

But overall it's more MST3k, and I'm digging it so far.

I watched the first episode last night... Pretty good stuff! Well worth the wait. I can see what people mean by the jokes going by too fast though... There were some I ended up missing due to laughing at the first one. 

I usually hate parroting people, but I third the notion that the voices will take time to get used to. Crow's voice works for me, since it sounds more like Trace Beaulieu's Crow from the Comedy Central era, which I always prefered over Bill Corbet's crow, personally. Though Gypsy and Tom are very different, especially since their voices stood out to me during their run... Eh, oh well, it's to be expected.

Very interesting stuff they're doing in the theater segments, with Tom Servo flying and moving arms, and the robots getting their own props to use during the movie. It's an overall good continuation to the series despite a few flaws and nitpicks. I'm probably gonna watch the first episode again with my dad (who's a fan and introduced me to the show when I was little,) this weekend and probably watch the second one tonight.

The second episode, Cry Wilderness, is extremely good and a notable step up from Retilicus. Then again, the material the have to work with in Wilderness is just so ripe.