Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog: Awakening Found on Ex-Silver VA Resume

Detective Shadzter

It may have been a working title for Rivals 2 judging by the the fact that neither it, nor either of his later performances in Winter Olympics and Zero Gravity, are listed.

Sonic The Hedgehog: Awakening?

Sounds edgy.

In all seriousness, though. I really do wonder what this project could've been if it actually was made. Story and tone-wise, at least.

It was probably a work in development that they had them do voice overs for but was scrapped.

I would've probably enjoyed it if it became a real game too

Since it uses the full "Sonic the Hedgehog" title a la 06 (and unlike every game since), I'm guessing either a canned 06 DLC episode or (and here's a scary thought) an 06 sequel that got canned after how laughably bad 06 was. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Since it uses the full "Sonic the Hedgehog" title a la 06 (and unlike every game since), I'm guessing either a canned 06 DLC episode or (and here's a scary thought) an 06 sequel that got canned after how laughably bad 06 was. 

That's an interesting (and horrifying) theory.

Even though I have a feeling it could've been a horrible game, I'm now extremely curious about it. I hope somewhere, somehow, more information about it surfaces.

• Thumbs Up 9

It may have been a working title for Rivals 2 judging by the the fact that neither it, nor either of his later performances in Winter Olympics and Zero Gravity, are listed.

I'm thinking if it had any relevance to the Rivals series, it would have used the naming convention, since the first Rivals game is listed there.

I'm also under the mindset that this title is either a working title that never got past the conceptual stages or a game that doesn't actually exist and never has.  It wouldn't be the first time a VA has accidentally listed a non-existent game or a project codename in their resume.

• Thumbs Up 8

Think it could have possibly been a different name for a past Sonic game? Could it have been a former name for '06?

It would...kinda make sense. I think if '06 was called Awakening instead, it could have meant the awakening of Iblis or even Solaris.

Or maybe even Sonic Unleashed, as in the Werehog being the "awakened" darkness inside Sonic?

Who knows. But it's fun to guess about it. c:

• Thumbs Up 1

This is likely the most accurate guess we have as to what it was. I doubt it was a sequel, since you couldn't really do much more with the shit-tastic story that 06 introduced(the ending and all).

Edited by McGroose

This is likely the most accurate guess we have as to what it was. I doubt it was a sequel, since you couldn't really do much more with the shit-tastic story that 06 introduced(the ending and all).

I don't think that would have stopped Sega from trying though.

That title's too similar to my fanfiction idea.

I'm calling my lawyer.

#KenPenders

Anyway, I'm putting my guess toward this being a codename for a game we already have. Probably not Rivals 2, though. Maybe Unleashed, but I also feel like it might be Black Knight for some reason?

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't know what you guys are talking about but i think this could've been an interesting game, spin-off, or whatever this was....

With Sonic having something like "Awakening" in it, I would totally buy it.

Edited by Dan-Dude

It could be an old title for Unleashed. Both Chip and Dark Gaia were awakened, so it makes some sense.

Canceled games are canceled for a reason

Edit: Wait. You know what, it doesn't even matter because sega will still release bad games canceled or not. I wonder if they just cancel games when they don't know where else to take a concept or something...

Edited by monkokaio
  • Thumbs Up 1

Silver in Sonic Unleashed...now there's an interesting thought.

Well Knuckles and Shadow were originally supposed to be in Unleashed too, so who knows? c:

EDIT: Staying on the possibility of "Awakening" being a former name for Unleashed, after re-watching the original teaser for Unleashed, it does say "A NEW ADVENTURE AWAKENS" at the very end of the video. It's a possibility, however before the video cuts off it has a link for the Sonic Unleashed tab on SEGA's website, so it sounds like the name was already in stone by that point.

Edited by PeridotShades
  • Thumbs Up 4

Didn't Karen Strassman's (the current voice of Rouge) resume at one point list a "Sonic the Hedgehog 2" on her website and that was found to be an error someone who maintains her website made?

Out of curiosity, was this a recent addition that just appeared? Or is it possible it's been there for a while and he never updated/corrected what the entry was? It is strange his Sonic credits are a bit incomplete, though.

Edited by Zaysho

The thing is though most canceled sonic titles are all good from what they show.......

Not necessarily.  Sonic X-Treme frankly only begins to look good with some of the more recent builds, and we of course have that Sonic skateboarding game that is believed to be a precursor to Riders but honestly looks a little tripe.  Basically I can't think of a single canceled Sonic game that would have been a positive contribution to the Sonic series.

Edit: Wait. You know what, it doesn't even matter because sega will still release bad games canceled or not. I wonder if they just cancel games when they don't know where else to take a concept or something...

That's honestly my thought.  Being canceled has the unfortunate association with quality, like, "Woah, if they had the sense to cancel this game, it must have been bad," when in reality, the majority of cancellations are due to creative differences or just not having any sense of direction in general.  This includes games that are good and bad.

• Thumbs Up 5

Um...does anyone know how far in a games development process the voice acting would come in? I would've assumed it was one of the much later jobs.