Awoo.

Moderation Feedback

Chris

The way the rules are written is a relic of the way the forums were circa 2005, when you need to be strict and sort of had to be an asshole to preserve the peace on the forums.  That being said, things have calmed down a little, so I do think maybe we could stand to re-write the rules.  That's just my opinion, though.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Tara said:

The way the rules are written is a relic of the way the forums were circa 2005, when you need to be strict and sort of had to be an asshole to preserve the peace on the forums.  That being said, things have calmed down a little, so I do think maybe we could stand to re-write the rules.  That's just my opinion, though.

I think it's easier to get the message around when you're direct and simple, rather then making snark comments like those. I get the timeframe though, it's just that I think it's more effective when it gets to the point and avoids saying unnecessary stuff.

I think the rules should still have some humor to it if you rewrite. It'll probably keep people from just skimming them.

• Thumbs Up 9

I kind of like the blunt and somewhat snarky style of the rules, but I can totally understand wanting to rephrase them to sound more professional too. I like Wraith's suggestion to keep some humor, it really helps people pay attention.

• Thumbs Up 3

Ok, humor is fine, but at least be professional about it. This is just straight up snark, not a silly simile or a funny picture being used as an example of what's right/wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm thinking there was a time in which there were only three rules and one of them was just "Don't be a dick" or something to that effect.  I may be thinking of a different board though.

1 minute ago, Mikyeong said:

I like the way the rules are written because its written in a way kids will understand. 

Technically, kids under 13 shouldn't be on the forum at all, so that shouldn't be an issue.

That's not to say we don't get kids on the forums on many occasions, though.

• Thumbs Up 5

Well, they're certainly written in a way childish people will understand, and aren't those the people who need the rules the most? ;P

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, Mikyeong said:

I like the way the rules are written because its written in a way kids will understand. 

I don't really think "kids understanding" is a primary concern when it comes to writing the rules, especially considering the average age of a user here has grown up farther beyond a kid.

I don't have much of a complaint with the rules and how they're written currently, but again, I don't think SSMB is a place really intended for children.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Tara said:

Technically, kids under 13 shouldn't be on the forum at all, so that shouldn't be an issue.

That's not to say we don't get kids on the forums on many occasions, though.

True. Im just saying kids in the west often speak like that so putting it in a way kids talk is a good way to enforce the rules. So im good with how they are written.

5 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

Kids will probably better understand

"Don't troll"

and

"don't post long signatures" versus what the guidelines have. I'm legit not saying to strip personality away from it, but those snark comments don't give it a positive and enforceful one.

The best example of how to add humor and personality to something like the guidelines is probably Tara's Guide on posting topics.

• Thumbs Up 1

To add to what Gamer has said I have seen moderators post one liners as posts or one worders or image only posts when normal members would get screamed at for these things. I know, moderators can have it more lax but it is a little concerning to see some of the mods, break there own rules. 

2 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

True. Im just saying kids in the west often speak like that so putting it in a way kids talk is a good way to enforce the rules. So im good with how they are written.

Kids over here do not speak like that. Well, some do but there is no general perception or even real proof that all the 13 and younger kids like things to be edgy and they like to curse a lot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Plus, considering that kind of behavior is generally not allowed around SSMB in the first place, why would you want to tell a bunch of 13 year olds, you know, those guys who go on Call of Duty and scream down their mics with insults a plenty that's A-OK around here? We already had an example today of someone who thought they could get away with that kind of offensive shit. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well again, I don't think the rules are bad, but just the manner they are written give me really bad vibes honestly. You do not see large forums say the kind of snarky stuff in their rules because that can really leave a poor impression on people, and is really just unprofessional. Those snark comments really don't have to be the only way you can have fun and covey personality with the guidelines.

• Thumbs Up 1

While I do have a little something to comment on I think I may hold off on that bit, least until I can get what I can say out without being an idiot.

There was another thing I did want to ask (but I may not be in the position to do so) but have staff thought about using Discord/Mumble over Skype for those 'important' group calls or whatever you guys do in those situations? 

I don't think the quote marks were necessary.

Also, we haven't considered other chat sources simply because almost everyone on the team already has Skype and there's an existing group chat we can just invite staff into. Why do you ask?

Edited by Nepenthe

I too feel the need to say some stuff of my own. I'll be blunt with this, so...

I've seen mods ignore what seemed like problems that need dealing with. Now, sometimes, I don't report because I can't tell if I'd just be doing it out of emotions, but in some instances, there's a situation, and it gets left alone for some reason.

I second Ryan on the whole "pointless thread" thing. Why is it that we members can't get away with it yet a mod can and get a like? I think mods should be punished for breaking the rules, too; perhaps more than the members, since they're supposed to enforce the rules in the first place.

Actually, I wonder if some mods are even taking their positions seriously. And at least some of them don't seem to do much in general, much less moderate, to where if not for the orange stickers, you wouldn't even realize they were mods to begin with.

Some have also just...vanished. Like, where are they? If they don't wanna moderate, they shoukd give up the title, I say.

I do apologize if I come across as rude, and I'm sure I'll think up more, but that's what's on the top of my head. To end this on a positive note, however, there are mods that do their best for the community, and I salute them for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm still new to the whole thing, but haven't non-mods gotten away with joke threads just fine and they were locked once everyone had their fun? Like the Cheese thread? Isn't that what happened when Azoo did his Sonic 1 Game Gear thread, as well?

I'm sure the others can bring up other examples, especially since they've probably actually seen them (I should point out I pretty much only paid attention to threads I actually had any interest in as a regular member), but from what I've noticed in the past, they let topics like that go and run their course and then shut them down when everyone had their fun.

I get what people are saying with regards to them, but wasn't appropriate action taken in each case? If not, maybe you can cite examples when it wasn't?