Awoo.

Any little things you'd like to see change in the Sonic series?

Muscles Maximum

Anyone can say that the Sonic series has had its fair share of big problems. But let's think about the little things. After all, it's the little things that can add up to make a game that much more enjoyable for you. It could be you want a certain badnik enemy to show up more often, maybe you'd like to lose all your rings when getting hit again instead of a fraction of them, maybe you just want to see more flowers. Whatever it is, we all have our tidbits of preferences, or moments of "I wish this was different".

It doesn't have to be specific to the games, think about trailers, think about the comics or TV shows, think about things that have been fixed but you hope it doesn't happen again. Remember when the spin dash sound effects were reversed in Sonic 4? That was something that while not a huge deal, definitely bothered me and I'm sure it irked others too. I don't think it was even fixed for episode 2.

Remember that Sonic Unleashed trailer where the ring sound effect was actually the noise that plays when you take damage?

Dang, the more I listen to this, the more grating it gets haha. It's good the final game wasn't like this.

For me personally, if the Homing Attack sound effect were changed back what it was in the Adventure games, that'd be really cool. I think the way it sounds now is almost too mechanical or something. The reticles that always show up and beep when you're near an enemy don't help much either. This was especially bad in Sonic Lost World where you home in on up to 6 enemies at once. 

Another thing that's probably not a big deal to most people is, I really really hope that every future game in the series gives me the option to change the dialogue to Japanese. They've been good about this since Secret Rings, but there was a string of games (Sonic Heroes, Shadow, 06, plus the handhelds) where there was no option for that. To me the Japanese voice cast makes the games that much more enjoyable and endearing. But hey, that's just me.

So yeah, any little things you'd like to see change, or small things that have bothered you, annoyed you, or even worried you in some way? Perhaps even any little things you currently enjoy and hope stick around?

• Thumbs Up 2

I loved the idea of Sonic 4 allowing players to select what ever stage and act they wanted. I want that to return.

• Thumbs Up 1

Little things, eh? In that case, I got one; let the characters have actual digits on their feet. That 'foot blob' thing that the art style does for the characters just annoys me to no end, to an irrational extent. Largely because whenever I see it, it makes me think of some kind of horrible cascade of flesh formed over an otherwise normal foot structure. That, and I just plain don't like the way it looks. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Lots of little things I could pick…Tho for now I’ll just say that I’d like a return to Sonic CD/OVA style of music for the games, instead of the music style we've been getting on the games lately such as Lost World.

Also, I'd love it if they gave the setting world a name. Mobius, Earth, Freedom, Zanzibar-9, call it something, ANYTHING but 'Sonic's World'. Having it referred to as 'Sonic's World' just sounds stupid, especially when Eggman does it. It makes him sound like an alien invader who, somehow, couldn't be bothered to even learn the name of the place he's invading. 

• Thumbs Up 4

I also want to see more parkour incorporated to. And more grasp on the Genesis-styled gameplay in 3D adventures. I REALLY would love for Sonic to play as smooth as this!

pnPFmvq.gif

fuck I know this gif is becoming like the Poltergeist but it sums up my feelings on how I want Sonic to play!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, DarkLight said:

For me, one simple thing. Return of the Sonic faceplanting the ground gag. Yes Boom has done this one time in Guilt Tripping, but hrrumph, Game Sonic does it better.

How could I forget this one?

I for one would love to see Sonic's less than positive relationship with both gravity and floors make an appearance again.

It's my most beloved series running gag next to "Long time no see!"

• Thumbs Up 7

12 minutes ago, Vertekins said:

- More subtlety in character animation, more nuanced i.e Unleashed's Sonic's model animation in both forms. Less them gesticulating like they're caught in the grasp of a sugar rush. I know Sonic characters are vivid. But there's a limit.

- Characters actually being more active in cutscenes. For instance, Sonic doing some crazy yet awesome shit in cutscenes instead of standing around prattling on about inane shit. The former is interesting and is how he's supposed to be. The latter is boring, obnoxious and uncharacteristic of an allegedly frenetic, larger-than-life character.

- Hubs. Levels that sensically connect to each other and have effort invested in how they're presented and a place to return to for missions, story advancement etc. Not a bunch of stage entrances thrown into a select screen lazily with no rhyme or reason.

- Greater feeling of momentum regarding movement. Lost World annoyed me greatly in regards to how it executed this.

- ALTERNATE CHARACTER GAMEPLAY.

- Fumie Kumatani needs to come back and make Sonic music. She's a friggin Sonic OST goddess.

- Shiro Maekawa needs to come back and write Sonic games. Because he has such a fine grasp of who and what Sonic is, as a character and as a series.

- More character profiles on SONIC CHANNEL. You don't know how happy it'd make me if Darkspine Sonic got a profile with official art. Hey, his Werehog and Super forms got them!

Some nice ideas. But I feel a few don't count as little things as this topic suggested. I think stuff like alternate characters and different story writers count as a pretty big thing myself.

• Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, Vertekins said:

It's my most beloved series running gag next to "Long time no see!"

I was hoping someone would bring that up. I know people make fun of it but I miss that gag. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Some nice ideas. But I feel a few don't count as little things as this topic suggested. I think stuff like alternate characters and different story writers count as a pretty big thing myself.

I don't mind, after all, what counts as 'little' is pretty subjective I think. It's all good.

I agree with all the points Vertekins made.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic's faceplant gag never really left though? It was still there back in Lost World, wasn't it? (I know that was a wall and not a floor, but you know, details details. :P)

Anyway, what little things would I like to see, and I'm keeping in mind what things I could actually consider "little", so I'm not going to say more obvious things like more playable characters and such. Hmm...

-I suppose I can agree with the idea of more active cutscenes. I haven't been too bothered about recent ones since I don't think previous ones were that much greater in comparison, but more action narrating the story would be something I'd get on board with.

-I also agree with more Fumie Kumatani-made music, I always did love her work in the series.

-More realistic locations like in Unleashed are not inherently bad, but let there be a good amount of less realistic locations as well. I don't hold it against Unleashed since the whole "real world" thing was one of the whole points of the game, and I suppose it did pull off what it tried to do, but I still don't really gel that much with a game in which the most and arguably only full-on fantasy-like location in a Sonic game is the bad guy's lair. So in other words, you can have your Rooftop Runs and Skyscraper Scampers, as long as you have some Quartz Quadrants and such as well. If the art style is consistent enough throughout the game, you shouldn't have a problem with anything looking too out of place.

-If Robotnik was a little more hands-on like he's known for, that would be grand. The games' Robotnik as he's been lately is already just short of perfect for me in all honesty, so if that little detail was added in again, that would be smashing.

-Most importantly, there needs to be a cutscene in which Tails says "I'll try spinning, that's a good trick!" while driving the Tornado.

I may or may not think of some more later. Who knows.

• Thumbs Up 4

27 minutes ago, Detective Gregory Zilla said:

Here's a little thing that really bugs me about the new games: Sonic's "getting hurt" animation.

In the classics and many of the older 3D games, when Sonic got hurt he would blink and do a short little hop in the air backwards, and the second he hit the ground you could control him again.  In the newer main games, Sonic just falls on his ass like a dweeb and sits there motionless for a second.  Might not sound too bad, but it's definitely a longer and more annoying waiting period than taking damage in older games.

It's such a small thing and yet it annoys me to no end.

EDIT: I don't think Lost World was as bad in this regard but the Boost games are huge culprits.

This is why I always equip the skill in Generations that removes this!

Should still just not be there though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe actually reference the lore you've built up over 25 years, Sega. The plot doesn't have to be deeply entangled with the history of the planet, birth of Gaia or whatever, but don't have everyone talk like they just found out what a chaos emerald was, or like you haven't seen several nation and world-wide catastrophes.

• Thumbs Up 6

29 minutes ago, Inspector Shaddy said:

Maybe actually reference the lore you've built up over 25 years, Sega. The plot doesn't have to be deeply entangled with the history of the planet, birth of Gaia or whatever, but don't have everyone talk like they just found out what a chaos emerald was, or like you haven't seen several nation and world-wide catastrophes.

This so much.

As for what i like to see, i would like earester eggs that revealed how sonic's world work, map of the games' world, or even newspapers of events from the games.  I feel they would flesh sonic's world out.

I also would like the ability to switch background music. I loved that feature in Generations. 

• Thumbs Up 3

More orchestral songs.

It makes things like final bosses seem so grand and I want that feeling of spectacle and excitement to return.

• Thumbs Up 4

6 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

More interesting unlockables would also be a good thing too. It shouldn't take all that much effort to put in existing concept art assets or to quickly paint up some alternate costume skins for the characters as little rewards. Little 10-20 second animated shorts would be nice as well, and if we're worried about them taking away development time just outsource them to Marza.

Totally agree. Other characters are similar enough to Sonic anyway, so there's no reason they couldn't have skins for Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, anyone. They did it with Metal Sonic in SADX and that was a cool reward. Super Sonic's nice and all, but I personally would find other characters a much better prize for completing certain tasks. Obviously having characters that play different would be much better, but I'll take what I can get. And I'm not even getting that.

And yeah Unleashed had really sweet and charming CGI cutscenes you could unlock, more of those would be splendid. It's such a shame too, they have a studio, Marza, that are capable of making such beautiful animation, and they just seem to use them for one time short intros. Maybe animating the Sonic movie has been keeping them busy  ◕‿◕

• Thumbs Up 3