Awoo.

"SegaSonic Bros.": SegaSonic Arcade Proto or Potential Predecessor Found

azoo

A Red Sonic and a Yellow Sonic? OK...?

Yeah, it could probably be a prototype for SegaSonic The Hedgehog considering the "recolor brothers" over there. I wonder if these hedgehogs any backstory or names associated with them? Are they actually brothers?

• Thumbs Up 1

tumblr_o20zg0bpae1rppy76o1_1280.jpg

I can see where Sonic Colors got their muliplayer prototypes from since you have to use red Sonics lol. But still, intresting. 

• Thumbs Up 3

So, a Sonic game where you play as Sonic himself and a couple of recolors....

Holy crap, Sonic Dimensions was real this whole time and it was right under our noses.

That being said, if they are brothers like the title suggests, that would be a interesting dynamic, it would be the first time Sonic would have blood relatives in the game universe.

Though, they ended up with the same fate as Sister Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 4

I figured this would be better for that Discoveries thread (which ironically you also created lol) but oh well I suppose. This is...something. The guy who dumped this was also responsible for the popcorn maker game, so the validity of this is much higher. I lead this is leaning towards prototype akin to Knuckles Chaotix in some ways before they decided to change the role of certain characters.

Guess Sonic Dimensions was real all along :U

I was seriously considering putting it in the Other Knowledge Topic, but there could be a lot more to it than just "oh here's this little screenshot" so I rolled with it.

Someone at TSSZ obviously went back in time and made Sonic Dimensions. 

Holy crap I just realised! The red one! It's Barry the Redhog!

• Thumbs Up 2

Question about front page post: where did that dumpster diving narrative come from? I don't see that mentioned anywhere on the dude's blog.

Or is this just hypothetical colorful narrative?

4 minutes ago, GeneHF said:

Question about front page post: where did that dumpster diving narrative come from? I don't see that mentioned anywhere on the dude's blog.

I think Azoo was just joking about the dumpster diving thing, and Hogfather took it literally. Nowhere does it say that he got the game through dumpster diving.

8 minutes ago, GeneHF said:

It was mentioned in the topic, and I saw someone mention it on Facebook/twitter, however after I published it I couldn't see anything from it, removed it from the title but just left it there as an 'apparently' since two separate people said it. But yeah it doesn't seem to be accurate so it's now gone.

I can't believe official recolors existed in Sonic before Sonic X recolors plagued the internet

But no seriously this is one hell of a find, I don't think it's ever been mentioned or found in any previously existing info. The prototype name "SegaSonic Bros." is also really fascinating. If this was kept for the final released, there would had been an official "Sonic Bros." to counter the Mario Bros. lol.

Oh and is anyone else getting a massive Animaniacs vibe from the three Sonics in the poster? Sonic, Wonic, and...Yonic Blonic Donic.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Inspector Gabe said:

But no seriously this is one hell of a find, I don't think it's ever been mentioned or found in any previously existing info.

This has started doing the rounds, it might actually be an original game.

http://retrocdn.net/index.php?title=File%3AEGM_US_046.pdf&page=52

Apparently there were other arcade games planned/in development. 

Might be a similar situation to Sonic X-Treme, game nearly/gets finished, then cancelled due to reasons.

TimmiT over at Retro makes a point about how much of a coincidence the recolors are similar to Tails and Knuckles too.

...with these colors being of Mighty and Ray

recolors of recolors

It's not that much of a coincidence. If the plan was always to three playable characters, the most common triad of colours with blue is blue, yellow and red (the primary paint colours). Colour theory is why Tails was initially orange as well; it forms a natural complementary duo with blue.

Well, not a coincidence insofar as why the colours were picked. Knuckles was going to be green for a good while, so I don't think they had this mind, especially with said point about Tails being orange back then. 

• Thumbs Up 3

9 minutes ago, Detective Reptiles said:

It's not that much of a coincidence. If the plan was always to three playable characters, the most common triad of colours with blue is blue, yellow and red (the primary paint colours). Colour theory is why Tails was initially orange as well; it forms a natural complementary duo with blue.

Well, not a coincidence insofar as why the colours were picked. Knuckles was going to be green for a good while, so I don't think they had this mind, especially with said point about Tails being orange back then. 

Yeah that's....the point really.

I'm starting to think that this might be a hoax, although it's a very good one. 

Basically, where's the follow up? Unless he has some kind of big reveal plan in mind, surely if you had gotten this working you'd post a bunch of images from it at least? Yet all we have is the title screen? 

But in the past when he's got stuff working, we've had a bunch of screens and even video? 

Unless there is something very wrong with the board and it crashes at this moment, why no other media? Not demanding a dump of it but... why just the one pic?

Don't get me wrong I REALLY want it to be the real thing but... something is starting to feel off about this?

I'll say it once and I'll say it again, not buying it. don't care about if he helped dump popcorn maker theirs still hints of him modding/hacking games in the air. I'll wait until someone at retro has it otherwise I'll await its debunk.

@goku262002 I do not blame you for having that shred of doubt. Hell, I'm beginning to feel otherwise. Of course, after the Rayman thing I'm heavily starting to feel this is one of those hahahaha.

Amything to steer off course towards the anniversary game huh?

4 hours ago, Solister said:

So, Sonic have 2 more brothers than Manic and Sonia?

There is also "Sister Sonic" (Mail the Popful), from the eponymous unmade localization of Popful Mail, Anita from the Manga, and the 5 younger sisters in the first Sonic Bible. Now that's sibling overload. I assumed these two were really Sonic's nephews, cousins, or even sons as opposed to brothers.