Awoo.

"SegaSonic Bros.": SegaSonic Arcade Proto or Potential Predecessor Found

azoo

1 hour ago, The Very First Miru to Me said:

There is also "Sister Sonic" (Mail the Popful), from the eponymous unmade localization of Popful Mail, Anita from the Manga, and the 5 younger sisters in the first Sonic Bible. Now that's sibling overload. I assumed these two were really Sonic's nephews, cousins, or even sons as opposed to brothers.

I believe you forgot about Manic and Sonia from Underground.

Anyway, I find this interesting. Can't wait to see what footage we'll get.

1 hour ago, Flamerstreak said:

I believe you forgot about Manic and Sonia from Underground.

They were literally mentioned in the quote he was replying to. XP

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, Detective Tara said:

They were literally mentioned in the quote he was replying to. XP

How did I see that one? Should have noted the quoted part. Oh well, we all make mistakes. No worries, huh?

• Thumbs Up 1

What a coincidence! The red one looks just like my fan character Flame the Hedgehog, who is Sonic's long lost brother with ice powers. Great minds think alike, amirite?

Pfft, and my girlfriend said I'd never make it as a concept artist.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm gonna post what DRX said on retro:

I would advise against everyone contacting/bothering Shoutime. I know you have good intentions but this has backfired before.

Not saying anyone has from here but lets play it safe, if this is real we can wait it out just like all the other discoveries. Assembler Forums on the other hand...

1 hour ago, Detective Reptiles said:

Well, at the very least the guy who showed this is saying it's authentic. 

capture_by_yarcaz-d9qjgpz.png

So I get that you might have good intentions and this is very exciting, but please don't try to message ShouTime. Cause you're not the only one with the idea of doing that and a ton of people messaging/bothering him because of this can backfire.

The EGM scan came from G.Silver on The GHZ

Also, in 1992, Mr Kanari, the forgotten (non?)creator of Sonic talked about expanding Sonic's family in the games:

Many readers of MEGAFORCE wished that Sonic has a boyfriend. Is it considered and is he/it foreseen that new characters rejoin Sonic thereafter?

MK: Indeed, we noted that the public wished that Sonic has friends. Several projects are currently to the survey and it is not excluded that Sonic has a boyfriend thereafter. Of the remainder, a magazine of strips drawn Japanese publishes a set dedicated to Sonic regularly. In this comic, Sonic have a family and friends, then why not to make in the same way in a game?

(It's a translation from a French magazine.) Perhaps SegaSonic Bros was part of that thinking.

I've got to admit, if it wasn't for all the external evidence, I would regard this as fake. It just looks like some badly made fan game.

4 minutes ago, big_smile said:

I've got to admit, if it wasn't for all the external evidence, I would regard this as fake. It just looks like some badly made fan game.

Kinda weird to think that when all we have is a title screen, which actually has some pretty nice art on it. :V

@Detective Reptiles Yeah, I get that. Was more a general message than one directed specifically at you

The way Dr. Robotnik runs in the pop corn game makes me feel like I'm watching a retro horror game... :wacko:

This SegaSonic Bros looks really interesting, I would like to know more about it. Can't wait to get more information. :)

51 minutes ago, TimmiT said:

Kinda weird to think that when all we have is a title screen, which actually has some pretty nice art on it. :V

Too be honest, I find it it kinda of weird that you'd think that! 

The art might be nice, a lot of modern day fan pixel art is really nice so that doesn't mean anything (and there's nothing to stop a modern day fan adding a "1992" to their artwork).

The concept is so lazy: recoloured Sonics that are titled Bros. (No one thought the name would draw comparisons with Mario Bros?).

Then there are the palm trees, which look like they have been taken from Sonic 1. The palm tree next to the "1992" copyright mark has two trunks, which just looks strange (Why would they give a tree two trunks?!)

The whole thing doesn't look like something a professional company would even think about making. 

Like I said, the supporting evidence has got me convinced that it is not a hoax. But if I was to base my opinion on just the title screen (and nothing else), I'd have strong doubts.

I'm not sure what elements are present in the title screen that would suggest otherwise.  

That scan does help with the authenticity of this by a lot. With that said I get what big_smile is saying and it's understandable otherwise.

god I just hope people with some common sense don't pester the poor guy who revealed SSB (hah) about this.

• Thumbs Up 2

The external magazine references that are cropping up (How the fuck did we miss these btw?!) are helping to back the claim that this may have existed but still, show it and I'll believe it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Interesting to see Yellow Sonic get pushed back, like how Ray got completely left behind too...

If true, I'm guessing this is before Yuji Naka had the idea for Super Sonic, would only have been confused having Yellow Sonic and a golden Super Sonic buzzing around together.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unless it drastically changed during this and SEGASonic the hedgehog, yes.

Where was this location test? how exactly did this fail? damn, if this is legit theirs allot of history we need to learn about this quick.

I've seen a number of people use these on twitter.

If they have no official names I really hope these ones will stick.

• Thumbs Up 6

Until we datamine and figure out what the developers were calling them in the code, I don't mind those being nicknames.

If Scourge didn't exist, I would bring up the idea of adding a green Sonic named "Relish".

I guess I'll call them Ketchup and Mustard for now. Better than "Not-Mighty" and "Not-Ray".

• Thumbs Up 1

So, does that make Silver Mayonnaise and Shadow Barbecue Sauce?

Anyways, I love Bubble Bobble, would love to see it's creator to take on Sonic.

I'm kinda confused by the way they did the menus though, shouldn't they have one of the other Sonics as the other head instead of just putting two blue Sonics there?

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Detective Hogfather said:

So can we now discount this as being a SegaSonic arcade proto?

Looks like I was wrong. 

I love how he's teasing everyone. Are we gonna get a new screenshot per day, I wonder?

16 minutes ago, Jason the Jackass said:

Looks like I was wrong. 

I love how he's teasing everyone. Are we gonna get a new screenshot per day, I wonder?

It would certainly keep this little hype train a rollin' and that kind of building tension and excitement is just fine by me.  That is unless we end up with nothing that exciting, but I have hope in my heart.