Awoo.

sonic is mediocre as a whole?

Baraksha

I recently started to think about something , I noticed that the original sonic trilogy while are still great games OMO still have tons of problems and so almost non of these games aged well and alot of people seem to agree with that opinion recently, and you know the fact that now even the classic trilogy is considered not that good, the games that people consider "the best sonic games of all time" it make me think  , if that's the best of sonic then maybe sonic is just a really mediocre franchise and the fact that i'm such a big fan of this franchise almost makes me feel like a mediocre person...almost

I know that what I said is probably bullshit, but I really feel like sharing this and to see what you think of this

The Sonic franchise has become a little mediocre over the years, in my opinon. However, it doesn't make you the fan mediocre. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Recent games I have to agree. While I feel the positives outwiegh the negatives, the negatives do exist.

The old games? Heck no. They may not be as good as people make them out to be. But they still communicate thier main ideas really well. And for every step backwards SA1 took, SA2 took foward, even its own flaws don't set it back. To say that's when the franchise "went downhill" for me feels wrong. Like maybe after, but not then. Sonic was evolving, you may not have liked it, but it was going somewhere.

Like I had struggles with the old games, but I don't think I ever had it in me to say the games outright sucked. Maybe they had design flaws but never were they directly interfering with how I enjoyed the games to begin with.

TL;DR its better than Super Mario World. :)

notice the "almost"

also I really want to reply, but i'm not sure how, it's just that for some reason deep inside it's hard for me not to care weather this games are just good, because if this is all sonic can do and it's not that great, then what does it mean about our expectations, I mean people are expecting future games to be as good as the classics or the adventure series, but if even those games are considered not that good then it's like we are striving for something not that good

Just now, Baraksha said:

notice the "almost"

also I really want to reply, but i'm not sure how, it's just that for some reason deep inside it's hard for me not to care weather this games are just good, because if this is all sonic can do and it's not that great, then what does it mean about our expectations, I mean people are expecting future games to be as good as the classics or the adventure series, but if even those games are considered not that good then it's like we are striving for something not that good

Freedom Planet kinda solved this problem for me. I feel its better than the Classics and proves that Sonic can't feel "new" or "special" without changing or evolving the root formula. It's the game I always wanted, but never knew I wanted or asked for, and I wouldn't have it any other way! I defenetly recommend checking it out if you haven't!

As for the fanbase not knowing what they want. I really give up on that. It's not worth the effort to try and elaborate a whole fanbase by your self, or even in a group. My advice is do what you can to educate when you feel you can, but don't bank your soul on it, its just not worth it!

I get what you mean by the way. I think a lot of us want a sonic game to be "more" or to "evolve" but are afraid to give out our new ideas. So instead we just say more of the same stuff....which is stupid in my opinion!

I just got alot going inside my head, i'm not even sure what I want to ask, each time I think of a question I get an answer I agree with , but I still feel disatisfied , as if there is still something i'm missing, so I think of a different question

Just now, Alienrun said:

Freedom Planet kinda solved this problem for me. I feel its better than the Classics and proves that Sonic can't feel "new" or "special" without changing or evolving the root formula. It's the game I always wanted, but never knew I wanted or asked for, and I wouldn't have it any other way! I defenetly recommend checking it out if you haven't!

As for the fanbase not knowing what they want. I really give up on that. It's not worth the effort to try and elaborate a whole fanbase by your self, or even in a group. My advice is do what you can to educate when you feel you can, but don't bank your soul on it, its just not worth it!

I get what you mean by the way. I think a lot of us want a sonic game to be "more" or to "evolve" but are afraid to give out our new ideas. So instead we just say more of the same stuff....which is stupid in my opinion!

funny, I forgot to say this, but freedom planet is kind of what makes me ask this

2 minutes ago, Baraksha said:

I just got alot going inside my head, i'm not even sure what I want to ask, each time I think of a question I get an answer I agree with , but I still feel disatisfied , as if there is still something i'm missing, so I think of a different question

funny, I forgot to say this, but freedom planet is kind of what makes me ask this

I probably asked that as well when I first played Freedom Planet. Its the reason why I got mad at the fanbase for wanting Classic Sonic gameplay in new sonic games when a ton of Sonic hacks and Freedom Planet exist. It's the reason why I got mad at people talking about E3 so much. It's the reason why I acted like such a douche on here when I first came here. It's the reason why I was getting really sad when every one was saying I was acting rude on here.

...but more importantly, it allowed me to learn a lot more that I didn't learn before. I was being the fanboy. I was being unresonable despite claiming that others were at fault. Freedom Planet was a big deal to me because I MADE it a big deal, I made it a big deal that others were disagreeing with me. To this day I have not watched a FP review simply because I don't want the purity of my opinion to be tainted. (Plus dealing with people who don't know who they are talking about.)

I have ventured a bit to see what others think about the game in text form. And found something pretty interesting. The people who "hate" the game, feel like thier nostalgia was betrayed, these people feel like a game that they were so attacthed to was shattered right before them. And while I felt that way before (SBTS I'm looking at you) FP did the oposite, it allowed me to like something again that has since then grown stale. Prior to Freedom Planet, I couldn't be bothered to enjoy or even play Sonic 3. But now going back to it, I enjoy it a lot more, just like I did when I was a kid!

Freedom Planet was the reason I made that bloody video that used to be in my signiture! Along with an extremely detailed comment explaining its creation. (My youtube is here: http://youtube.com/alienrun) (The video is "Alienrun Rants #1")

I learned about my life from that experience. Including religous things. I also learned you need to be yourself above all things. But the relavance to this case I'd say is to just be thankful for what you have. As I was playing Freedom Planet a lot of ideas for my own 2D platformer raced through my head, almost if my mind was telling me "I can make a better game". But I don't have to, we don't need that because we are people, there is so much more to us than making and talking about games.

I'm sorry if that felt like ranting, but It was really nice to get all that out. Basically I have this to leave you with: "Those who live in the past have depression. Those who live in the future have anxiety. But those who live in the present, are at peace!" :) (If you want more details on this whole rant, just ask okay!)

Honestly, I think Freedom Planet, while brimming with potential, is infinitely more problematic and mediocre by comparison to the classics.  There's lots of cool things to say about it, but honestly, I don't think it made the classics feel any more or less fresh to me.  Especially since they actually reworked the physics (which were originally fairly loyal to the classic Sonic games) so that they didn't resemble Sonic quite as much, despite still having every other thing the classic Sonic games are known for.

• Thumbs Up 1

I want to make one thing clear, I am a sonic fan now and I will continue to be a sonic fan because I don't care what others think, I still enjoy a lot of sonic games sometimes even underated ones. also I have to agree about freedom planet, before I went in to it I expected to only play it for an hour or so and that it will feel like nothing more then some sonic rom hack , but the results are that I currently played over 35 hours of that game and I think those numbers are going to continue growing tomorow , before I played that game I had doubts that even if we finally get that sonic game we are all waiting for I won't have that much fun, because I played so much of the classics and the adventure series and other sonic games that I would just play them naturaly without even noticing what's going on, even playing sonic rom hacks with different level designs just felt like i'm just playing sonic 2 and I just go through it normaly like whatever, but freedom planet for some reason brough that feeling back, where I don't simply go through a sonic level, it felt somehow different, I mean it felt like a sonic level , but something about it just made me want to keep playing through till the end. after playing freedom planet I decided to try to play some sonic 2 and I actually gone through the whole game and it felt great, for some reason that playthrough of sonic 2 made me feel more focused , I was having more fun then usual, I was focused and not playing on auto pilot. after that I relised that maybe a new sonic game can be good enough to get that feeling back like freedom planet did and now I feel a bit more exited for the next sonic game hoping that maybe it will be as exiting as I expect it to be

There are times when I too worry that Sonic isn't that good a series overall, since it's had so many major problems for such a long time, and so many of its games are so flawed. But at the end of the day, ya know what? That's OK. I'm not obligated to like every part of the series, even parts of the series other people like, and I'll always love the parts of the series I love.

And yeah, I'm going to call bogus on that "the classic games weren't that good" thing too. OK, maybe I don't know anything about video games (I really don't), but those games are just so immensely playable and well-designed overall, and personally I love them. As far as I can tell, they're still well-esteemed by the vast majority. Of course, they're not perfect, and they're not going to appeal to everyone. That's certainly true, but on the other hand, it's true of everything.

Ultimately, though, just remember what you love about the series. Go ahead and admit that it has flaws, but don't let that hamper your enjoyment.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't want classic sonic back, I'd rather have the modern sonic we had for like only 5 minutes (the one from the adventure games >.>)

Also, I think it's worth saying that as gimmicky as the 90's were, I think we severely overestimate how much the "edge" factor contributed to the success and overall image of the brand.  We've been over the latter in other threads numerous times, so I'll just focus on the former.  It would be impossible to deny that older games are often given a lot more lenience and tolerance, due to the overall state of the market at the time.  But I do contend that the classic Sonic games, even in retrospect, are still highly praised by more than just fans.  3D Sonic 1, the most recent port of the franchise's debut title, currently holds an 81/100 on Metacritic while its sequel still holds an 87/100, and we can probably assume that if they ever re-released an HD version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, the numbers would probably climb even higher.

The classic games are still considered great, and even the most vocal detractors won't deny their influence or brush them off as completely undeserved of the praise they receive.  Basically, Sonic was good at a point, and rather or not you like where the series is going or not is irrelevant to this point, but Sonic can still be good.

• Thumbs Up 2

First of all, don't let other people's opionions screw with you. Second of all, the quality of whatever it is you're a fan of in no way reflects your character. Chin up, keep your young padiwan. Third, your opinion is ultimately subjective. Just because a whole bunch of people decide one thing sucks hard core socks doesn't mean you have to follow the tide. Fourth, Sonic's hit a few rough patches but mediocre is not something to describe a franchise that's been kicking ass for nearly a quarter century.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic 1: 8/10 | Sonic 2: 9/10 | Sonic CD: 7/10 | Sonic 3 + Sonic & Knuckles: 10/10Knuckles Chaotix: 6/10 | Sonic 3D: 5/10 | Sonic Adventure: 8/10 | Sonic Adventure 2: 7/10 | Sonic Heroes: 4/10 | Shadow The Hedgehog: 2/10 | Sonic The Hedgehog 2006: 2/10 | Sonic  Unleashed: 6/10 | Sonic Colours: 8/10 Sonic 4 EP1 4/10 |Sonic Generations: 8/10 | Sonic 4 EP2: 5/10 | Sonic Lost World: 5/10 |

8+9+7+10+6+5+8+7+4+2+2+6+8+4+8+5+5=104

104/17=6.1

Almost mediocre.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Tara said:

we can probably assume that if they ever re-released an HD version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, the numbers would probably climb even higher.

I don't know about that one, Sonic 3 and Knuckles wasn't as much of a critical darling as Sonic 2, at least over here.

Looks like you've skipped quite a lot of games there, mang.

Just now, Michael Myers said:

Sonic 1: 8/10 | Sonic 2: 9/10 | Sonic CD: 7/10 | Sonic 3 + Sonic & Knuckles: 10/10Knuckles Chaotix: 6/10 | Sonic 3D: 5/10 | Sonic Adventure: 8/10 | Sonic Adventure 2: 7/10 | Sonic Heroes: 4/10 | Shadow The Hedgehog: 2/10 | Sonic The Hedgehog 2006: 2/10 | Sonic  Unleashed: 6/10 | Sonic Colours: 8/10 Sonic 4 EP1 4/10 |Sonic Generations: 8/10 | Sonic 4 EP2: 5/10 | Sonic Lost World: 5/10 |

104/17=6.1

Almost mediocre.

This overall score doesn't even cover the handheld games, those totally matter dang it! 

4 hours ago, Michael Myers said:

104/17=6.1

Almost mediocre.

But the Advance and Rush series, not to mention the storybook and Riders games.

3 hours ago, Detective Reptiles said:

I don't know about that one, Sonic 3 and Knuckles wasn't as much of a critical darling as Sonic 2, at least over here.

When I said that, I had forgotten the fan love for Sonic 2 based on the premise that it's the first appearance of Tails. (And by that, I'm not discounting it as a good game or otherwise worth its praise; just saying it's a huge contributing factor)

I absolutely understand what you are talking about. However, I have no problem with the classic Sonic trilogy; I think they became awesome games in their age. But some newer Sonic games became quite low-quality in my opinion.

Sometimes when I try out a Sonic game that I haven't played before, I 'disappoint' a bit, and think that 'Am I really a Sonic fan for games like these?'

But what can we do, the years spent with Sonic make me a fan, and I can't live the franchise now. And there are some amazing Sonic games, such as Adventure or Unleashed, just to mention a few.

3 hours ago, Tara said:

But the Advance and Rush series, not to mention the storybook and Riders games.

7 hours ago, Michael Myers said:

104/17=6.1

Almost mediocre.

You guys are so cheeky! Leaving out the Sonic Boom games!

• Thumbs Up 3

6 minutes ago, Ming Ming Yuigahama said:

You guys are so cheeky! Leaving out the Sonic Boom games!

They made games about Sonic Boom?  I don't remember them.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Michael Myers said:

104/17=6.1

Almost mediocre.

nice completely arbitrary math

• Thumbs Up 1