Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

Well the Sonic 1 logo, the ring and spindash sound (though that could be from anything), and just the word "Needlemouse" all point to something seriously retro. And I could see SEGA using "all-new adventure" to say "remake with brand new levels."

But i'm also an idiot. So I have no clue.

Well the Sonic 1 logo, the ring and spindash sound (though that could be from anything), and just the word "Needlemouse" all point to something seriously retro. And I could see SEGA using "all-new adventure" to say "remake with brand new levels."

But i'm also an idiot. So I have no clue.

If it's "all new" it's not a remake, end of.

so it's either not a remake, or they're lying.

P.S I don't know needlemouse what is even?
Needlemouse is slang for Hedgehog

I always thought needlemouse was the Japanese for 'hedgehog' translated literally.

So how long do we reckon it'll be before we see any more information on the game? Do we have any other Sega related anniversaries coming up soon?

As has been pointed out before already, most recently by Broms (sorry, don

I think it'll be a couple more weeks before we get any more significant information about this, but that's just my opinion. I remember someone pointing out in this topic that the Tokyo Game Show is coming up near the end of the month. I doubt it, but maybe we'll get some more info on the game there?

I always thought needlemouse was the Japanese for 'hedgehog' translated literally.

Yes, this is the case. That's where it comes from.

So how long do we reckon it'll be before we see any more information on the game? Do we have any other Sega related anniversaries coming up soon?

As has been pointed out before already, most recently by Broms (sorry, don

The sooner Sonic fans realise that they make up probably less than 10% of the sales of any Sonic game, the sooner they will realise why no game will ever be aimed at them again

The problem with that statement is, it doesn't take into account the 'grey' market. The non-fans of Sonic that would happily buy a game if it appealed enough to them. These kinds of gamers are likely the late teen-mid-adult crowd that fondly remember the SEGA Mega Drive but have no interest in today's Sonic the Hedgehog. The people you see buying the Sonic retro shirts in Next, Burton or Top Man. The people who bought into Sonic Heroes, actually (thanks in huge part to its advertising campaign).

Posting a link to the trailer in Facebook resulted in many actively positive comments (both online and off, obviously) - many of my friends aren't Sonic the Hedgehog fans, and wouldn't touch Unleashed, 06 or Shadow, but are now psyched for something like this.

So yeah, Sonic 'fans' make up less than 10% if we're going with that theory. But add your 10% and supposed 90% of kids, tweens and parents who don't know better (because whatever you do, you're not losing those sales as they'll buy anything with the Sonic name on it outright), and add the sales of those who have never bought a Sonic title for ten years. Now you see why a game aimed at the 'Sonic fans' make financial sense.

[i agree on that point, he can work in 3D. I still have hope for that. because it's proven -- but, you know, it's been almost a decade now, and enough is enough -- let's just go to something that we know works, rather than continuously tinkering around with something that people, in-the-end, more than likely will end up hating. Don't you agree that Sonic needs to be put back into a more positive light? For the sake of his future? Proven from the classic games, the Advance titles, and Sonic Rush, we know the 2D formula generally always works -- it's a safe road for the hedgehog, and I can't imagine what SEGA can do with a much greater budget than they've probably ever spent on a 2D Sonic game (if they're even throwing a huge budget on the game).

Sonic 06 could've theoretically been a good game if they put more resources into improving the quality of the gameplay, and fixing bugs. This can be said for all of the other "terrible" Sonic games that have released.

Serpx, you must come to the realisation that everything you have just said, everything you believe about Sonic is highly subjective. Claiming Sonic doesn't work in 3D is a really and appalling thing to say, especially on what is more or less the tenth anniversary of Sonic Adventure.

Sonic can work in 3D; I know this because it already has. Just look back at Sonic Adventure, the first true 3D Sonic game. A title which is still held in high regard today and for good reason; Sonic Team made a very good game. More recently, we now have Sonic Unleashed to enjoy. A highly polished game with, if nothing else, the best visuals seen in a Sonic game today. Furthermore, we also have plenty of other good Sonic games released this decade, such as the controversial and highly original Sonic Heroes.

Now, as I said earlier I'm very excited about 'Project Needles mouse'. I admit nostalgia plays a key role in this but that is not the reason I'm looking forward to this game. To be perfectly frank, 2D was never what made Sonic great, Sonic is so much more then the number of dimensoins he exists in. No single thing made Sonic successful; the gameplay, art style, marketing campaigns and of course Sonic himself all played a part.

The 3D Sonic games are here to stay, more to the point there will be more of them on the way soon enough. It is inevitable. Just be happy that Sega has decided to take this trip down memory lane. I think that this new 2D game and any that come after it, will co-exist just fine alongside the 3D Sonic games. At the end of the day, these are all Sonic games. Holding such narrow minded views about what Sonic should be doesn't help anybody, least of all you.

It's a new Sonic game. Who care about 2D or 3D? Just celebrate the existence of a new Sonic game, it is that simple.

Just celebrate the existence of a new Sonic game, it is that simple.

But we get to do that all the time. New Sonic games, 3D or 2D are released, like, what, at least three times a year (taking into account spin-off's). So the mere fact that it's a new Sonic game coming out isn't what makes this games announcement so special. Nor the fact that it's a 2D Sonic game (once again, 2D Sonic games never stopped being released; ever since the 3D era began we have alongside the 3D games also had the Advance, Rush and Rivals series, and many of those games have actually been good games, so the prospect of a "good new 2D Sonic game" isn't what gives the new title so much attention either, since that's nothing all to rare). No, the thing about this Needlemouse games announcement that gives it so much attention is in fact that, unlike the other new 2D Sonic games, this one is intentionally promoted in a way meant to invoke nostalgia for the Mega Drive games, and to liken this new game to those, which make one believe that the actuall game will have a retro-feel to it. That's what makes people pay so much more attention to this games announcement that what thet did to that of, say, Sonic Rush Adventure.

I finally finish Iji, and look what happens. The thread starts with me and a couple of others noting our skepticism, and it eventually devolves into an argument 3D Vs. 2D and what have you.

Once again, I must repeat - this whole thing will be for naught if the devs making this game are incompetant idiots who don't actually have a clue how to make a good Sonic game whether it be 2D or 3D, and I think it's likely it'll be the case.

But we get to do that all the time. New Sonic games, 3D or 2D are released, like, what, at least three times a year (taking into account spin-off's). So the mere fact that it's a new Sonic game coming out isn't what makes this games announcement so special. Nor the fact that it's a 2D Sonic game (once again, 2D Sonic games never stopped being released; ever since the 3D era began we have alongside the 3D games also had the Advance, Rush and Rivals series, and many of those games have actually been good games, so the prospect of a "good new 2D Sonic game" isn't what gives the new title so much attention either, since that's nothing all to rare). No, the thing about this Needlemouse games announcement that gives it so much attention is in fact that, unlike the other new 2D Sonic games, this one is intentionally promoted in a way meant to invoke nostalgia for the Mega Drive games, and to liken this new game to those, which make one believe that the actuall game will have a retro-feel to it. That's what makes people pay so much more attention to this games announcement that what thet did to that of, say, Sonic Rush Adventure.

I'm surprised that you would take exception to this one little sentence of mine. That post was over 300 words, that last sentence was a throw away line; something positive to balance out what would otherwise be a serious post. It really shouldn't of cause a stir. Personally, I think you should take a look at the rest of my post; it's certainly a lot more interesting that what you have cherry picked here.

Regardless, the message of that sentence still stands. You should be enthusiastic about this announcement simply because it is a new sonic game. The creation of new Sonic games may be more frequent then many other titles but that still doesn't change the fact that new Sonic games are few and far between. It will be at least a year before we get the chance to play this game. I play Sonic games because I find them enjoyable, this is the whole point - they are video games after all. Deriving enjoyment from a game is all that should really matter, the choice of 2D or 3D shouldn't be a cause for concern, Sonic has worked well in both dimensions before. In this respect, as far as fun is concerned, Project Needlemouse shows great promise.

Edited by Kintor

Relax, Dark Qiviut, everything is just fine. The truth of the matter is that Sega is a very large publisher, one of the biggest in the world in fact. This means that Sega can make multiple Sonic games at once, as they have always done, ever since Sonic 2 and Sonic CD began development at more or less the same time.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is simple. This new 2D-HD Sonic game will not affect the development of any other hypothetical new Sonic games. The philosophy and technology used to create Sonic Unleashed is here to stay. Sega will continue to develop and refine this concept in the future, aiming to develop even better 3D Sonic games. This much is certain.

Besides, this is no time to mope around. This is a new Sonic game! I've been a fan of Sonic since the begining, ever since I first watched a Sonic game in motion. I started playing with Sonic 1 on the Master System and I've remained a fan even today; Sonic Unleashed is now one of my favourites. I'll be a fan of Sonic regardless of how many dimensions the levels are designed with.

So yeah, I'm excited... I can't way to see a 'real' trailer. :)

Yeah, I guess you're right. I'm still a bit skeptical for once for the same reasons, but I'm not that down anymore. I'll wait it out till the gameplay shows up (as well as the story and characters).

BTW, do you think it could be part of a big 20th Anniversary package? Because right now, it looks like it may be.

BTW, do you think it could be part of a big 20th Anniversary package? Because right now, it looks like it may be.

Hmm... that's an interesting question. Sega does say they plan to release the game in 2010 and not on Sonic's 20th in 2011. So, strictly speaking the answer would appear to be no. However, that release date is very tentative. If the game get gets pushed back into 2011 or is released near Christmas 2010, then I see no reason why Sega can't say it's a 20th anniversary gift. In other words, maybe, let's just wait and see.

Edited by Kintor

Wow, what a depressing post for us 3D fans. :( I hate how so many people talk about the 3D games like they're ALL as bad as Sonic 2006. Sonic Unleashed was a great quality game... and whether or not you like Werehog was most likely biased by the bashing it got (if it would have been Knuckles with that set of moves minus the stretchy arms, everyone would have fucking LOVED it). Maybe I'm wrong, but either way, things like that are a matter of OPINION, and there ARE people who thoroughly enjoyed the 3D games.

Having said that...

This game announcement ruined my day. I'm not trying to sound cynical, I'm just being honest. I love 3D Sonic for the stories... the characters... the personalites... and yes, the gameplay (for the most part). To me, going back to 2D makes it look like they've given up trying to build upon Sonic. What happened to the last decade of 3D games? Is that all out the window now? Maybe Sonic 2006 sorta failed. But think of all their efforts to give the fans what they wanted, from Sonic Adventure to Sonic Unleashed. Maybe if it weren't for the so called FANS, they wouldn't have to resort to knocking Sonic down and rebuilding him again. And hell - even now, as they finally give in and do what EVERYBODY HAS WANTED FOR THE LAST FUCKING DECADE, people are BITCHING AND MOANING more than ever!! What the fuck!?

Sorry if I went overboard. No - wait, I'm not. I will be later when the shock of this has calmed down a bit, but right now, I'm feeling pretty damn bitter.

I really hope Sonic has the modern design. I hope this game has an actual story like the Rushes did. But I can't believe in it right now, for some reason.

I sincerely hope this isn't the end for 3D Sonic... but everything ends sometime, and no matter what you try to convince yourselves of, this really could be it. Please, somebody prove that wrong. Please, please.

Disclaimer: I was never part of the '2d will fix Sonic' bandwagon; I liked the 2d games, but I've always been for 3d when it comes to Sonic. Just so you know I'm not being contradictory. And, of course... ^THATZ MAH OPINION^

Dude, seriously, calm the fuck down, there will no doubt be another 3D Sonic game, so stop getting your knickers in a fucking twist :rolleyes:

So yeah, Sonic 'fans' make up less than 10% if we're going with that theory. But add your 10% and supposed 90% of kids, tweens and parents who don't know better (because whatever you do, you're not losing those sales as they'll buy anything with the Sonic name on it outright), and add the sales of those who have never bought a Sonic title for ten years. Now you see why a game aimed at the 'Sonic fans' make financial sense.

But as far as ratio goes marketing or ''satisfying' the 90% of the market comes first and foremost. Especially, if it costs less money. You just have to look at Nintendo for evidence of this. Theres also the amount of marketing this and advertising this gets for example, if it gets the same amount as say Sonic Chronicles it won't reach that many people in that ''90% anyway. Theres also the the state of the ''platforming genre'' and the market (or interset) present on the already existing consoles to consider. But like I said efore untill, more is known about the game, nothing is known for certain. There just seems to be too many assumptions going around which have at this point, little to no basis with some additional hypocrisy.

Serpx, you must come to the realisation that everything you have just said, everything you believe about Sonic is highly subjective. Claiming Sonic doesn't work in 3D is a really and appalling thing to say, especially on what is more or less the tenth anniversary of Sonic Adventure.

Sonic can work in 3D; I know this because it already has. Just look back at Sonic Adventure, the first true 3D Sonic game. A title which is still held in high regard today and for good reason; Sonic Team made a very good game. More recently, we now have Sonic Unleashed to enjoy. A highly polished game with, if nothing else, the best visuals seen in a Sonic game today. Furthermore, we also have plenty of other good Sonic games released this decade, such as the controversial and highly original Sonic Heroes.

Now, as I said earlier I'm very excited about 'Project Needles mouse'. I admit nostalgia plays a key role in this but that is not the reason I'm looking forward to this game. To be perfectly frank, 2D was never what made Sonic great, Sonic is so much more then the number of dimensoins he exists in. No single thing made Sonic successful; the gameplay, art style, marketing campaigns and of course Sonic himself all played a part.

The 3D Sonic games are here to stay, more to the point there will be more of them on the way soon enough. It is inevitable. Just be happy that Sega has decided to take this trip down memory lane. I think that this new 2D game and any that come after it, will co-exist just fine alongside the 3D Sonic games. At the end of the day, these are all Sonic games. Holding such narrow minded views about what Sonic should be doesn't help anybody, least of all you.

It's a new Sonic game. Who care about 2D or 3D? Just celebrate the existence of a new Sonic game, it is that simple.

Are you serious? Did you even read my post? I just said that he can work in 3D.

Edited by serpx

Hey guys watch this be a Dreamcast exclusive

I could see that actually, in a weird way. I wonder why they decided to announce this on 09/09/09. Luck perhaps? :P

Edited by blackherox