Awoo.

Sonic Fan Comics Anyone?

Ebby

I enjoy Sonic fan comics however, no matter how hard I try, I can't find good ones. When I say good, I look for both story and art. I've gotten past sprite comics in that they're no longer funny (random humor gets old after your fifth one) and I can't take them seriously when they're dramatic (because they're sprites...). So I was wondering, does anyone have a couple of recommendations? I'd love to expand how many comics I read past these few....

Evan Stanley's Ghosts of the Future: A universe-travel story, involving Silver, Sonic, and Shadow. I want to give a synopsis of the plot, but the story is so deep and amazing that I don't want to ruin it in any way, shape, or form. Simply put, it is a MUST READ.

Not-For-Resale: A hilarious take on the wonderful nuances of the Sonic world. Seems to be done by a new artist every 30 pages or so, but the hilarity goes on. If you've ever said, "Why does _____ happen?" when referring to a Sonic game, I'm sure NFR has covered it. Personally, this one is one of my favorite pages, it's just so true!

Sonic Eggs: Sonic Eggs! I know they have their own topic on the forum, but I love Sonic Eggs! Hate Sonic X? This is for you! Like Sonic X? I think this is for you as well! Not only does this comic make mockery of Sonic X, but also pokes fun at various Sonic aspects in general, such as Amy's obsession with Sonic. Lastly, there's the filler in-between comic, Sonic Egg Whites. I love it! Some strips are simply comedic gold!

Matt 'Elmatto' Arnold's Tete-a-tete: As you can see, I love comedy, and this has to be the funniest Sonic fan comic I've read. I was a tad bit skeptical because the author has placed himself into the retro Sonic-verse, but his presence only makes it funnier. This, like NFR, is another Sonic comic that explores the nuances of Sonic games. Sonic even asks the best question ever pondered in the Sonic-verse to Tails, "How are you keeping up with me?" Simply genius. However, I'm pretty sure that Tete-a-tete is discontinued, I haven't found anything past these pages :(.

So...any recommendations?

• Thumbs Up 2

I really liked Ruins of the fourth wall. Its funny. The main character is RObotnik, but the others are in it alot, too. I haven't read it in a year or 2, but I remember there being some really funny ones.

Theres Ashes of the Fourth Wall there, too, but I haven't read it...

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hmm, well you already have most of my favs up there but there are a few more I like a lot.

First up I'd have to recommend Tazi-san and Netrapor's Operation SQ . Great story and lovely inks here. Still a work in progress though.

If you want comedy that's just downright, well, strange at times then yuski's Chaotix SDT and The Chaotix Detectives are good reads. And yes those two are pretty much the same story just with different styles. There are more SDT stories in yuski's gallery though and yes they get a bit odd

Then there's several on the Sonicverse team's site that are pretty awesome. You aready have Tete-a-Tete listed but some other's I'd recommend are

Sonic Collision Chaos: For just plain random comedy

Sonic Adventure - The Comic : For great inks, comedy and a interesting take on a story we all know and love.

All of May Shing's comic shorts for the art and deep story.

SatAM DX, has a great story too and great art.

Then there's Sapphire Luna's Successor's Dawn which has an interesting story though it's a in haitus right now.

And if you haven't read any yet just you should probably check out Darkspeeds's works. All of his Sonic comic comics are pretty awesome.

Well I think that's about it for now... I know other series that are real good but most are incomplete at the moment and are 4-10 pages. Besides I think there's a lot of reading material here to keep ya busy for a while ;)

I really liked Ruins of the fourth wall. Its funny. The main character is RObotnik, but the others are in it alot, too. I haven't read it in a year or 2, but I remember there being some really funny ones.

Seconded. ROTFW is pretty amazing. Admittedly, as Ivo progresses he resembles the Eggman of the games less and less, in terms of design and personality- But it's still a nifty comic with a cool story and an even cooler cast. I recommend reading through it to those who haven't.

What are the absolute favourites of mine? While I cannot directly link to some of them, you can find these under the SonicVerse Team website.

First up is a mechanical tale of proportions, Equinox.

Why do I like this fan comic?

taking place before Sonic CD and the capture of Little Planet, it is one of the very few comics that highlights Robotnik as a focal point throughout the story. However, the central focus is all about Metal Sonic and his growing awareness and morality, as he realizes he is a sentient creature. A metaphysical dilemma rolled into his own free will. Oh, yes we see that Robotnik is good at making him as his own "tool" to retrieve the Chaos Emeralds, but he also sees him is more than just as a mechanical tool as that. More of a partner with free will. Splitting off from here, we find out that Metal Sonic's mischievous doings are being shoved and mistaken as Sonic's which in telling means that the blue hog now doesn't have a good rap sheet in town.

05.jpg

Not only do we have Robotnik, Metal Sonic and Sonic, but the much neglected Nack the Weasel whom plays a part in this prequel as a part time cop who still has a part in shady under-handed dealings:

10.jpg

You also have the indefatigable Sonic-huntress Amy Rose who comes a bit more across as cute naive girl than crazy stalker in this story, and cameos of Bean and Bark who work in a garage downtown in Station Square.

Not only that, but the artwork is amazing. Sure you have eraser marks and pencil smudges all over the place, and a crinkled page here and there, but this comic reeks of dedication and detail. The use of templates and rulers are made prominent with the hallmarks of straight lines, completely spherical circles, and perspective dimensions. This is someone who loved this comic, enjoyed doing so and stayed up late at night to perfect it.

Also their Classic Robotnik is on spot no matter which angle you view him from, as he appears to jump from the page like a wayward cartoon cel, unpainted.

The next fancomic is called Sonic Collision Chaos, which most of you might have heard about from the host site, fireball20xl.com.

Why I like it:

This comic is more of a manic comedy that has a plot attached. It's just about fun and more fun, some dirty jokes here, a David Hasselhoff ship with a giant cockpit (not German engineered by the way) and a search for a bionic rabbit (guess who.)

002.gif

Yes it also takes place on Little Planet (notice a theme here?) after Sonic challenges a complete cast to an EXTREEM FRISBEE MATCH. By this cast, I mean everyone you can think of: Ray, Bark, Tails, the whole lot that is not the trio of Chaotix, Rouge, Shadow, Nack or Eggman. Yes, there is that many characters in this comic at once. To even go on about what each character does is at the point of madness, but it includes Knuckles becoming a leader, Shadow being trapped with Nightopians who speak in the terms of rap hits on a quest to be an Ultimate Lover, a Metal Espio, and a joke about Robotnik's "loveholes."

016.gif

Which I want to see more of. You disappoint me.

As you can tell the artwork fluxes over who is in charge; manic and all over the place just like the plotline and humor.

Originally in Spanish, Sonic Adventure the Comic is an unfinished great. Done in a style cross between a manga and a bouncy dynamic comic (think Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog issue #0.) this telling of the first DC game in lucid and bright. And then you have Robotnik cussing like a sailor when his Egg Hornet gets stuck.

And the cameos of a certain egotistical creator:

1.jpg

However again, this comic was never either fully translated or completed by the creator, which is a bit of a disappointment in itself.

Someone here likes the Egg Whites, huh?

Which ones were your favorites?

By all means, the Shadow the Hedgehog spoof. "Debt to all those who oppose me." I laughed so hard!!! I think after that would be the Sonic and Amy one.

Anyway, I've actually read ROTFW and I was terribly bored. Really, just bored.

Sonic Collision Chaos! I forgot about that one! It's just retarded, in a good way.

I have to check out the others. I've also been interested in reading Other-M, but the links to the page seem broken.

I see nobody mentioned Chaos Diamonds 3, a 360 strips story, already concluded, that follows Tails, Shadow, a reformed Eggman and Amy in a good mix of comedy, romance and drama, where Sonic plays the unusual role of an antagonist.

The drawings are very nice (except at the very very beginning, but they soon improve), mostly black and white, and the story is worth the couple hours it takes to read. It takes place some time after Sonic Adventure 2, and the characters involved are all from the games, except for just a couple original ones, but they don't get in the way and play their role nicely.

As I began reading it, I thought it would end up being the usual badly-written, dragonball-inspired fan fiction, but the more I read the more I got caught in the storyline and couldn't stop reading until the end; you just have to get past the very beginning.

It won't take you a long time to finish, so I recommend giving it a chance.

049.jpg

050.jpg

185.jpg

289.jpg

Edited by ilcane87

Chaos Diamonds 3? Read thaaat. =P But it was awesome anyways! I suppose I forgot to mention that one because I finished it months ago....

By all means, the Shadow the Hedgehog spoof. "Debt to all those who oppose me." I laughed so hard!!! I think after that would be the Sonic and Amy one.

Great the joke that I didn't write. (Did the script, but the punchline was done by a fan.)XD

Speaking of Not For Resale, Sonic Battle ending:

nfr_67_comic_red.jpg

EDIT: In regards to Chaos Diamonds 3, well written fanfics and comics like that (dark Sonic story) SCARE ME. Seriously, I'm not saying they're bad, they are just

so well written, the dark bits really creep me out ex: characters dying, sometimes brutally, always sad, or the villain winning, as in many chars. dead, world under

control/imminent destruction. (I read this one fic where Metal Sonic succeeded in destroying the world with Perfect Chaos, somehow, didn't read it all, just the end,

but again SO WELL WRITTEN, it scared the crap out of me).

*lolwuss*

Edited by insertnamehere

Tails with intermittent Yougblood's Disease? Too much serious business ITT...

taeshilh has a gallery of funny Sonic comics. This one is probably a favorite of mine.

Another favorite of mine is Aoi's Comical Highway, but unfortunetly, most are in Japanese, so I can't read them, but Team Artail actually did something useful by translating a lot of them. It's mostly sight gags and such, like this one:

scrib163e.gif

There are a few more translated on this site as well.

• 3 years later...

I love GOTF! I only wish It would be released comic by comic rather than page by page, I also hoping to get my story turned into a comic once its done

Put me down for Ghosts of the Future. I've had contact with Evan Stanley and her boyfriend in the past, and we really hope we can get her to come to one of our California-based events sometime as a special guest. I really love both her art style and the story she weaves; she finds a clever way to incorporate... well, everything!

I shall also vouch for Sonic the Comic Online. Showing remarkable dedication and in many places great skill with both storytelling and drawing, STCO has continued the continuity of Sonic the Comic for no less than ten years after Egmont Fleetway retired the series. It's been deemed "unofficially official" given its high profile and the praise it's received from those who worked on the original strip; naturally, you may have heard of it given it has

Also in line with Sonic the Comic, there's Sonic the Continuation, a recently-begun effort to continue the series. It is written and illustrated by Okida with some support from Evan Stanley herself (on the artistic elements at least; I'm not sure about the story). Okida began the project as an alternative to STCO's plot developments and, from what I can gather, to shift the focus towards major story arcs and away from comedic side stories.

This one is also most likely known: Not Enough Rings! It's a humorous retelling of the classic Sonic games in a comic strip format, often making jokes at the things we hated most when playing the titles when were younger. It's so popular it's thrown its own Kickstarter to publish hard copies, as memory serves.

Sea3on is a long-running fancomic that seeks to continue telling the story of Sonic the Hedgehog, or SatAM. While it has often run into hiatus issues, it has a fairly dedicated community behind it and so has managed to keep updates going on and off for years. It also has side stories to tide one over, helping one get their fair share of humor as much as major plot developments. If Archie wasn't satisfactory for one's SatAM needs, this is definitely a good place to stop for a look.

I think that's all that come to mind at present. I had a fancomic of my own but it's been on hiatus for little over a year because I was dissatisfied with my artistic ability. I definitely admire pretty much all the comics that have been posted however, as each one's team (or often, just a single person!) show clear hard work and dedication, and in many cases considerable talent.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love love love GOTF. Evan Stanley's art is glorious and the story makes Silver seem likeable! biggrin.png

Thanks for making me aware of Sea3on, Oggy - I've just finished reading it all (well, up until the most recent update).

I love the artwork, especially after they got the new artist in. The story has an interesting perspective, completely separate from Archie's version of events. However I will make the same criticism of it as I have with SatAM: it's about Sally, not Sonic. Reading some of the pages doesn't make me feel as though I am reading a Sonic comic, and sometimes when I see Sonic himself in the pages it really looks out of place. Having said that, Sally herself is less irritating than she is in SatAM (sorry I know this will upset some people, but I think she is irritating, and Sonic is her lackey! biggrin.png) There are also a lot of features I like about it such as the current story about

her mother, and how she is a badass archaeologist who also dabbles in computing. Their decision to design Sally's mum with a pink and black colour scheme; like the old Sally design is a nice touch. And I like inclusion of The Guardian... seriously the bit where he visits Those Who Came Before [Me], it looks like the echidnas are a race of Assassins! XD Also Knuckles looks daaaaww! :3

Edited by MamboCat

• 3 years later...
On 1/9/2010 at 2:51 AM, Ebby said:

I've been working on a Sonic fan comic on Deviantart. So far I have 3 issues completed but I'm looking for any feed back or critiques if needed. I ave the link of the first issue below. Anyone interested can click on the links in the descriptions to scroll back and fourth through the pages.

Sonic Adventure 3 Playstation 4 - Pilot