Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog GameTap Retrospective

JamieDawg

I came across this today,

GameTap makes a retrospective of the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise, it has 4 parts, here are the links:

Pt1:

Pt2:

Pt3:

Pt4:

This actually made me think about why I became a fan in the first place, and I felt even more damn proud of it! It's amazing how Sonic and SEGA change the videogaming history.

Damn, I whish they make another game like Sonic Unleashed (minus Werehog). Yoshihisa Hashimoto DO IT PLEASE!

What do you think?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodone121

• ZERO_ninja

• SuperStingray

• Rusty Spy

It was refreshing to hear some positive things said about Sonic for a change, rather than the usual "OH NO S0N1C 1$ d00m3d!" It was very well done.

Fascinating, and well done. And, like said above, it was nice to see less negativity about the modern-day Sonic games.

That was very interesting and fascinating. I never would've guessed that Sonic was going to be called Mr Needlemouse. Also as someone else mentioned its good to hear something about Sonic other than "OH MY GAWD SAWNIK SUX WE WANT SAWNIK FOUR!!1!"

I'm glad we have a more objective look at the series' history for once. It's amazing to see how much influence a single game had on the industry.

It was a nice video for GameTap to make. I didn't know too much about the pre-history of Sonic. Also it's nice not hearing too many negative things about Sonic for once

This was awesome, and did anyone else notice in the comic page flip near the end of part 3 it had a panel from Sonic the Comic - Online. It was one of the early Knuckles stories about Tikal... now that is fantastic, STC-O is now big enough to feture in videos like this ;)

I really like how Sonic's first image was translated into both his personality and his gameplay. Hardcore and Casual.

Sonic had a cute yet edgy persona, and his game was one that appealed to both hardcore and casual crowds.

This video really gives the view of how Sonic games were so great in a new light.

I really got proud of the furst parts but in the end i really got dissapointed!I've said to myself ''From what have Sonic become to this?''

All games are for both casual and hardcore. Even Black Knight and other games. Why? Because Video Games are for ENTERTAINMENT!

All games are for both casual and hardcore. Even Black Knight and other games. Why? Because Video Games are for ENTERTAINMENT!

You don't need to get annoyed about it, Virgo is making a distinction that people who tend to regard Computer Games as a main hobby and spend several hours a day on them often buy and play more/different games from the average joe who has a passing interest. It isn't intended as any sort of insult.

Edited by ZERO_ninja

Edit:Never mind.

Edited by goodone121

Edit:GameTap said his back story was originally "a rock star in a band full of party animals". Is this true, or did GameTap confuse the games with Underground, based on the original Sonic 1 (or was it 2) sound test?

Yes this is true. Infact, one of the character's in that band, the crocodile, was later used as inspiration for Vector. And it might not be to far fetched to believe that Sonic's "girlfriend" was later the inspiration for Amy's creation.

Actually, if you look at games like Ninja Gaiden, these games are more aimed at Hardcore video gamers, those who enjoy challenging games, as opposed to games like Wii Music, which is more of a "just for fun" type of game.

Going back to my original statement, Sonic 1 was a game that could easily be enjoyed as a simple platformer that casual players would like, but it also has enough depth, such as hidden pathways, secrets to explore, and of course, the Chaos Emeralds to collect that give more hardcore gamers the kind of challenge they seek in games.

While video games are simply entertainment, what gamer's want in video games are not black and white. There are people who want to play games as just for fun and those who find enjoyment in being challenged by ridiculously hard games.

Edited by VirgoTheCougar

Ever notice the Sonic costume had green eyes?

Yeah I did, I also noticed the shot of the SEGA office had the SEGA Sammy logo. I realised a lot of those clips were new and a lot were old so I just let it mesh.

Edited by ZERO_ninja

A very interesting, very well done retrospective of the Sonic series.

And it's OH so refreshing to see something that doesn't just bang on about how the series has gone into absolute nosedive or that Sonic should be killed off for once.

As everyone has already said, its nice to hear postive things on the blue blur.

But Sonic's shoes were based off Michael Jackson's boots? :blink: Weird....

Yeah I did, I also noticed the shot of the SEGA office had the SEGA Sammy logo. I realised a lot of those clips were new and a lot were old so I just let it mesh.

Actually, I believe there was a shot where the woman in the Sonic suit was looking at someone play Sonic 2, confirming it as Sonic's older design. (Before you say they could have playing it after the redesign, they were looking at older screens they would have no reason to use, then.)

As everyone has already said, its nice to hear postive things on the blue blur.

But Sonic's shoes were based off Michael Jackson's boots? :blink: Weird....

I was more shocked about the Bill Clinton thing.

• 9 months later...

Massive bump I know, I just came across this on YouTube this morning. I've been a fan since the beginning and even I didn't know Sonic once had fangs. Was also interesting to see how much market share SEGA had against Nintendo back then. When showing off all the merchandise I've never seen that big Sonic go-kart before XD

Also, they show a cardboard cut out advertisement for Sonic 2 with some art I've not seen before at

3:14.

Very well made retrospective, couldn't have put it all better myself. Let's hope one day Sonic can get all of that glory back.