Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

In anticipation for Lego Dimensions, I decided to check in on what the fuss is all about regarding Doctor Who. I booted up Netflix and decided to start watching the 2005-Present Day revival. I studied the basics of the show before I watched, of course.

I was recommended by user: @The Eleventh Doctor to watch a number of episodes. I chose one, "Vincent And The Doctor" and I had a great time! I enjoyed the story, the humour, and the emotional parts kinda choked me up! I knew I was in for a great show! Then I went back to the beginning and watched Rose, which starred the Ninth Doctor.

And as the Ninth Doctor says: "Fantastic!" Yeah, the effects aren't the best but I can forget all of that because I loved everything else. I just finished "Dalek" by the way.

So yeah, thank you Eleventh Doctor for helping me get introduced to a great series! I needed something much more optimistic to keep my head off of the hopeless, scarring messages Madoka gave to me.

Edited by Failinhearts
  • Thumbs Up 4

The latest speculation topic is definitely an interesting one. I'll spoiler it on the off chance it's actually true and people want to be surprised. although I imagine something like this will get an official announcement.

David Tennant and RTD have be spotted together in Cardiff (very familiar territory for Doctor Who filming) and are thought to have been there for a few days now. 

Now this is likely nothing but it's curious that all that's going on while Doctor Who is still filming. Moffat has mentioned RTD's theory of the 12th Doctor's face a couple times in the past and has said it will be brought up again this series.

Realistically, there's three possibilities:

• Absolutely nothing's going on and it's all a novel coincidence.
  • The pair aren't involved but Series 9 revisits their Pompeii so they've been invited down to watch the filming.
  • Both are involved with the new series regarding either the 12th Doctor identity mystery or perhaps something for the NeWho 10th Anniversary.

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/tennant-rtd-are-back-in-cardiff-75181.htm

Another new Series 9 trailer has materialised!

Daleks (including the Supreme Dalek from The Stolen Earth/Journey's End and some original Sixties Daleks) confirmed to be in the opening two-parter alongside Missy... plus a much better look at Maisie Williams, Vikings, mythological creatures, and a whole lot more!

Edited by Doctor MK
  • Thumbs Up 3

They've really stepped up the monster design this series; a lot of the new monsters in that trailer are really creepy-looking.

Admittedly, not so much the faintly insectoid armoured fellows, which are very 2005 Who and simply don't look metal, but it just depends what they're all about, doesn't it.  The lion furry in the carriage is giving me major flashbacks to the Disney-animated Robin Hood... though I only ever saw the opening scenes of that.  Definitely a good idea to get their money's worth out of those Zygon costumes, too.

And as for the Daleks - wow, classic Daleks as well?  They're really getting serious about accommodating DW's whole history now; I hope there's some clear division of labour, though.  I also really liked the design of the Supreme Dalek in its sole appearance a few years ago (haha, the tabloids insisted it would reveal itself as Harriet Jones) and am terribly pleased to see it back.  By the way, it looks like a Dalek-Sec-type Black Dalek is in the multi-Dalek scene, and there are a couple of frames where you can make out the edge of what might be a Special Weapons Dalek in the background.  Nice!  No sign of the New Paradigm Daleks, though, which I think is a shame; I thought the decision to make them "officer-class" was exactly the right thing to do with them and it would be a waste to have scrapped them entirely.  Just goes to show how perfect the 2005 redesign was.

Edit: I accidentally got the name wrong of the most important Dalek of all, the Special Weapons Dalek.  (It's definitely in, by the way, I've seen a better screenshot.)

Edited by FFWF

Trailer looks pretty awesome. It's got to be Skaro in one of those scenes, right? I mean, it looks exactly like it, which is awesome. Maybe the Thals will come back to settle some beef or something (that would be the dumbest shit). Cool to see that Supreme back from Series 4, wonder if they're going to acknowledge all these old Daleks or maybe the Daleks just have all these different designs now, including classic ones, which I think would be cool. I noticed the Renegade Daleks are back too, which is interesting, maybe the imperials still have a grudge with them or something, which would be cool. Cool to see Heavy Weapons back too. They're using Dalek Sec's shell a lot recently too, as it was in Asylum of the Daleks too (I believe it got blown up with the rest of one of the rooms though, they're probably all different Daleks at this point but with black paint.)

I'm interested in Missy's return I guess, see if they resolve that in a good way or not. When I first saw the trailer there was a point I though could've been the interior of her TARDIS (just after the shots of what could be the Dalek city on Skaro) but now I'm not so sure, it could be interesting to see her TARDIS though.

I'd also like to point out the Directing looks really awesome this series. I'm  really hyped for seeing it!

So yeah, looks awesome and I can't wait!

So is this ep with the Daleks going to be a better Dalek Showcase than Asylum of the Daleks was (IIRC it was hyped up as that a few years ago)?

Just a heads up, series 8 is now available on Netflix, the U.S. Version at least. I am assuming the same is true for UK Netflix since it's the BBC, however if anyone who uses the UK version could verify this, that would be great. 

Rewatched Into the Dalek this morning, still one of the better episodes of the season for me. 

Just a heads up, series 8 is now available on Netflix, the U.S. Version at least. I am assuming the same is true for UK Netflix since it's the BBC, however if anyone who uses the UK version could verify this, that would be great. 

Rewatched Into the Dalek this morning, still one of the better episodes of the season for me. 

Nah, I think we're still on series 7 in the UK last I checked. Thank God for proxies getting us access to other libraries. I don't think it matters about it being BBC, I belive we're still behind on Sherlock here too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hidden Content

Fingers crossed.

I don't know if I expect them to actually point to these old Daleks and say "hey look at these old Daleks, haven't seen those in years!  (Three to be specific)", but having them actually being in plain sight rather than being tucked away in the back doing nothing is already an improvement.

Another new Series 9 trailer has materialised!

Hidden Content

This trailer looks sweet!

I've gotta catch up before this new Series hits! I'm almost done with David Tennant's run.

...I started off in this thread but when I clicked in the Reply window then for some reason I ended up in "What music are you listening to?"  Did my mouse stumble into the TARDIS?

Anyway.  Moffat's hints for the upcoming series, from SFX:

Ep 1/2:

"This is the opening two-parter. It features lots of Daleks and this time we mean it! Clara receives a mysterious summons and has to team up with Missy to search for the Doctor in a very, very old place."

Ep 3/4:

"This two parter is written by Toby Whithouse and features an underwater base plagued by creeping ghosts and an island that is about to be submerged in water. But who or what is doing this and how can the Doctor stop it? It's very scary, atmospheric and claustrophobic, much like some Classic episodes."

Ep 5/6:

"Those two are exceptional! Doctor Who meets Game of Thrones! Well, only because Maisie Williams is in them. The first part features Vikings fighting mercenary robots (and a dragon!) and the second one sees a group of Highwaymen dealing with a norse God".

Ep 7/8:

"This one is written by Peter Harness and Day of the Doctor acted as a prologue to it. In it, the Zygons made peace with the Humans, but not every Zygon decided it was okay so they'be been raising an army, silently and now they're rising against UNIT! We've been planning this forever and Osgood is in it! But how is that possible you'd ask? Missy killed her! Who knows? Well, we know."

Ep 9:

"This is a very unique Doctor Who story from Mark Gatiss. It wasn't possible to do such an episode ten years ago, when the show came back and Mark has been rewriting it over and over again to make it perfect. It's a beautiful story, very eerie and special, I think it's going to be an instant Classic."

Ep 10:

"An episode which leapt out as "why haven't we done this already? This is so Doctor Who we should be doing this immediately". And when Sarah Dollard walked in with the finalised script, it was even better! Really, this is going to be a fan-favorite, everyone will want to rewatch it."

Ep 11/12:

"A challenge. I won't say anything else because it would be too spoilery, but when you'll watch it, you're going to ask how exactly the Doctor and Clara are going to pull it off."

..."and this time we mean it!"  Quite a few two-parters, and it's also a bit clearer how those "linked episodes" are going to work...

Osgood's a Zygon in disguise. Calling it now.

Hidden Content

But which one?!

Actually, apparently Zygons can only imitate people if the original is still alive, so that means that either Missy murdered Zygon Osgood, or this story is set before Dark Water / Death In Heaven.  Personally, I hope it's the latter.

Blogtor Who has some juicy new details thanks to a Series 9 set report and interview with Peter Capaldi and Ingrid Oliver

Highlights from the articles include (spoiler alert!):

- Episode 1 has a "BIG" cliffhanger and will see The Doctor and Missy on the same side... sort of

- Episodes 7/8 titles revealed as Invasion of the Zygons and Inversion of the Zygons

- Episode 9 might not feature the Doctor Who title sequence

- Episode 10 (the return of RIgsy) is described as "the invasion of the invisible streets"

- Episode 11 is a "one-hander", meaning it stars Peter Capaldi... and only Peter Capaldi, all by himself

Blogtor Who has some juicy new details thanks to a Series 9 set report and interview with Peter Capaldi and Ingrid Oliver

Highlights from the articles include (spoiler alert!):

Hidden Content

The rumour about episode 9's format that would necessitate this decision is...

That it's a found-footage episode, all shot from point-of-view.

I wonder what that episode 8 title means?

Everyone you thought was a human was actually a Zygon pretending to be a human.  And everyone you thought was a Zygon was just a human in a silly costume!  The second one is, controversially, also the secret twist ending of every Doctor Who episode ever.

I have a question concerning Doctor Who. Okay so far me and my brother have been watching the tenth doctor and the two of us are in love with the series. We love it for it's adventure feel and how it nicely mixes action and comedy. I considered maybe checking out some of the other Doctor Who series but one of my friends pointed out that I may not like the other doctors. They said this because they explained to me that the doctors have different personalities and traits and that what I see with the tenth doctor might not be around with the other doctors.

So I ask, is it true that my opinion on the whole series may vary from doctor to doctor because I'm still interested in checking out some of them, on notable one is the Fourth Doctor because my mother watched him as a child so I'm curious of how the doctor from her time was compared to the tenth doctor, to see how much had changed.

I have a question concerning Doctor Who. Okay so far me and my brother have been watching the tenth doctor and the two of us are in love with the series. We love it for it's adventure feel and how it nicely mixes action and comedy. I considered maybe checking out some of the other Doctor Who series but one of my friends pointed out that I may not like the other doctors. They said this because they explained to me that the doctors have different personalities and traits and that what I see with the tenth doctor might not be around with the other doctors.

So I ask, is it true that my opinion on the whole series may vary from doctor to doctor because I'm still interested in checking out some of them, on notable one is the Fourth Doctor because my mother watched him as a child so I'm curious of how the doctor from her time was compared to the tenth doctor, to see how much had changed.

Every new Doctor starts out with audiences crying "No, he's not like the last one, we hate him boo hiss!" and every Doctor finishes up their tenure (with the exception of future multi-Doctor stories) with the audience virtually in love with them. Every Doctor has their poor episodes, and every Doctor has their great episodes. You may very well prefer one over another, but I doubt you'll dislike any of them. They're all the Doctor, whimsical and ludicrous and serious in their own varying degrees, and you'll find a place for them all in your hearts.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

We're still a couple of weeks away from Series 9 kicking off but already the news is rolling in about this year's Christmas special... and if you don't want to know anything about, well, you'd better avoid the internet for a few months because... spoilers!

Alex%2BKingston.jpg

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/river-song-back-for-2015-doctor-who.html

"It’s Christmas Day in the future and the TARDIS is parked on a snowy village street, covered in icicles, awaiting its next adventure. Time traveller River Song meets her husband’s new incarnation, in the form of Peter Capaldi, for the first time this Christmas..."

This is one that's clearly going to split opinions one of two ways - you're either going to love the thought of River being back and seeing her opposite Peter Capaldi (a concept described by Russell T Davies as nothing less than "a sex storm!")... or you're going to think she's had her time, she's a character that's been done to death (literally), and she should have stayed in the past. Who knows how or why she'll pop up again? Time will tell...

• Thumbs Up 1

Eurgh I'm really not a fan of this. I mean I never liked River Song to begin with but she became unbearable during Series 6 and having her with 12 just seems wrong, considering 11 was when they were first meant to have met.

So her saying to 10 that he wasn't the Doctor she was used to makes no sense now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eurgh I'm really not a fan of this. I mean I never liked River Song to begin with but she became unbearable during Series 6 and having her with 12 just seems wrong, considering 11 was when they were first meant to have met.

So her saying to 10 that he wasn't the Doctor she was used to makes no sense now.

I'm guessing that she spent most of her time with Smith's Doctor, with a little Capaldi on the side.

Official synopsis revealed for The Magician's Apprentice...

Where is the Doctor? When the skies of Earth are frozen by a mysterious alien force, Clara needs her friend. But where is the Doctor, and what is he hiding from?

As past deeds come back to haunt him, old enemies will come face-to-face, and for the Doctor and Clara survival seems impossible.

And here's a trailer to go with it!

Edited by Doctor MK

She said that based on how he acted, to do with his confidence and presence, not that he just wasn't 11. She expected 10 to just know her, meaning her and 10 will have from her perspective met before then, since she'll be aware 10 is earlier in the Doctor's life than 11. Forest of the Dead ends showing the Doctor beginning to grow into the one she knows. From her perspective she will have met 10 prior to Silence in the Library, from The Doctor's that was his first meeting with her but there'll have been off screen meetings between 10 and River before she showed up again in The Time of Angels.

(Plus we're about to get a story of her meeting 8 as well, but based on the synopsis it's very possible 8 will never be aware River is involved, and if he is, well the Doctor can be forgetful anyway and 8 especially has frequent bouts of amnesia).

Edited by ZERO_ninja

8 more days, I don't know how I'm expected to contain this hype. I guess at least 12's new set of books are out now for the meantime.