Awoo.

Death Star VS. Death Egg

Cortez

300px-STC45-DeathEgg.jpg

VS.

death_star.jpg

Since we're discussing what Sonic's religion is and other utterly pointless stuff like that I figured this would be acceptable.

Honestly, which is stronger? I don't know the specifications of each but the Star houses a shitload of ships and hoardes of things willing to fight, whereas the Egg has a giant laser and defies all logic by somehow being immune to burning up in the atmosphere and not taking any substantial damage upon crash landing.

But which would come out on top?

You decide!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Patticus

• Glenn

• Indigo Rush

• Remy

The choice seems easy for me-- One destroys planets, and the other destroys... volcanic cave systems?

The Death Egg can become completely damaged just by having a large Robotnik shaped robot fall down inside it.

So it's kinda 50/50.

But then again, just by turning on it's lights, the Death Egg can heat up a cooled volcano.

Edited by Black Spy

I personally thought that those giant eyes have to be planet-frying lasers. Heck, when they light up in Lava Reef's crater, the ENTIRE area is superheated.

What I never understood about the Death Egg is that the Sonic Jam art book says that the Egg Robo's in Sky Sanctuary are there as the ruins' ancient defense mechanism. I thought that the Death Egg released the Egg Robo's at the beginning of Sonic's/Tails' version of the level from the bottom half of it's spherical build?

Death Egg has nasty electric floors, missile launchers in it's walls, weird snake-like transport system composed of yellow energy loops that look like they could induce nausea or deliver someone into a wall, gravity reversing switches, a clearly sadistic part with bumpers and a machine that only lets the trapped get free when they hit it 3 times on either side, 'bridges' that are weight sensitive in a very weird manner, bottomless pits and nasty Badniks.

Don't know much about the Death Star. Was it shown to have arnaments that could nuke planets in the films? I'm totally not qualified to comment about it.

The Death Star can house multiple entire battlefleets of very large ships, each with full complements of fighter craft, can house hundreds of thousands of active personnel and despite its one weakness (its easily-rectified weakness), it's basically covered in laser turrets, and its twin-axial superlaser could, even at half power, (probably) render much of entire planets uninhabitable. It's also not powered by a stolen crystal or filled with ramps and loop-de-loops, which is a bonus if you're not a hedgehog.

It defenses are primarily designed around defending against enemy fleet attacks, which is why the rebellion slipped through the net in A New Hope, but if the two giants here faced off that rule would apply and in all likelihood, provided both stations were fully operational, the Death Star would win outright before Robotnik could a: figure out the Star's weakness, and b: before he could exploit it.

I personally thought that those giant eyes have to be planet-frying lasers. Heck, when they light up in Lava Reef's crater, the ENTIRE area is superheated.

What I never understood about the Death Egg is that the Sonic Jam art book says that the Egg Robo's in Sky Sanctuary are there as the ruins' ancient defense mechanism. I thought that the Death Egg released the Egg Robo's at the beginning of Sonic's/Tails' version of the level from the bottom half of it's spherical build?

Death Egg has nasty electric floors, missile launchers in it's walls, weird snake-like transport system composed of yellow energy loops that look like they could induce nausea or deliver someone into a wall, gravity reversing switches, a clearly sadistic part with bumpers and a machine that only lets the trapped get free when they hit it 3 times on either side, 'bridges' that are weight sensitive in a very weird manner, bottomless pits and nasty Badniks.

Don't know much about the Death Star. Was it shown to have arnaments that could nuke planets in the films? I'm totally not qualified to comment about it.

It just blows up a planet and blows up really.

I'll say Death Egg all the way because it was more of a nuisence than the Death Star was.

Edit: Patticus beat me with more details. D:

Edited by Guest

If all that was previously mentioned is true, I'd say the Death Egg. A machine is only as good as its strongest flaw permits it to be, and considering the Death Star essentially has a self destruct switch on the outside layer, it's really hard to call a threat, even if it is a very small window. The Space Colony Ark beats both out though, because it's strong enough to survive fifty years unmaintained, able to destroy a planet on impact despite having the smallest size and its major weapon seems at least as powerful as the Death Egg's at full capacity.

I think we're missing something here. The Death Star is a mobile station, the size of a small moon. It holds worlds hostage and doesn't (afraid of anything) need to be concerned about destroying them. The Death Egg however seems to be just an orbital station. It needs the Earth, which lowers its threat level substantially. We've never seen the Egg or ARK move out into deep space, and nothing suggests that kind of power is available in Sonic's world. Aside from Tails building some spacefaring machines in the stupider of storylines, people in Sonic's world don't do space travel. Like Pat says too, the Death Star is also a carrier. Sonic has no trouble at all boarding the Death Egg when the transportation is available. An assault on the Death Star would probably require a small army, like in the Star Wars movies. The Egg also loses points for being an obvious reference to the Star, and from a storyline angle possibly a design rip from the Space Station ARK. So wrapping up - The Egg is smaller, it comes to rest on volcanoes. The Death Star is probably larger by many times. The Star blows up planets, the Egg actually rides Earth's orbit. Even if weapons can potentially destroy the Earth (Unleashed) Eggman wouldn't do it. The Egg is also an obvious homage. Death Star wins.

If all that was previously mentioned is true, I'd say the Death Egg. A machine is only as good as its strongest flaw permits it to be, and considering the Death Star essentially has a self destruct switch on the outside layer, it's really hard to call a threat, even if it is a very small window. The Space Colony Ark beats both out though, because it's strong enough to survive fifty years unmaintained, able to destroy a planet on impact despite having the smallest size and its major weapon seems at least as powerful as the Death Egg's at full capacity.

Remember that the Death Star's one major flaw - that tiny exhaust port - wasn't immediately obvious to anybody lacking the station's plans, and hitting inside of it took the aid of a supernatural force. And who's to say it couldn't survive for decades unmaintained, or do a huge amount of damage upon impacting a world too? Neither the Ark nor the Egg seem to have any sort of self-defense mechanisms either, and certainly neither has displayed any ability to house even one battlefleet, while the Star can house... well, a lot of combat ships, both fighter-sized and capital ship-sized.

DEATH STAR STATS (stolen from some knowledgable websites)

Length: 120 km in diameter

Crew: 322,951 (Crew 265,675 + Gunners 57,276) [Note that over 400,000 Droids serve aboard the Death Star (not included in crew numbers)]

Troop Capacity: 607,360 Troops, 25,984 Stormtroopers, 42,782 Starship Support Staff, 167,216 Support Ship Pilots and Crew

Total of 11,016 Combat Vehicles, including: 1,400 AT-ATs, 1,400 AT-STs, 4,843 Juggernauts, 1,420 Imperial-class Repulsortanks, 1,420 Repulsorcraft, 355 Floating Fortresses, 178 Mobile Command Bases

Support Craft: 4 Strike-class Cruisers, 3,600 Assault Shuttles, 2,840 Skipray Blastboats, 1,860 Drop-Ships, 13,000 Support Craft (Not including the others mentioned)

Cargo Capacity: Over 1 million kilotons

Consumables: 3 Years

Weapons: 1 Superlaser, 5,000 Turreted Heavy Turbolasers, 5,000 Turreted Turbolaser Batteries, 2,500 Turreted Laser Cannons, 2,500 Ion Cannons (sort of equivalent to a targeted E.M.P.), 768 Turreted Tractor Beam Emplacements.

(Note that all of the Heavy Turbolasers, Turbolaser Batteries, Laser Cannons, Ion Cannons and Tractor Beam Emplacements are equally divided into 24 distinct zones due to the immense size of the Death Star. Only weapons within the specific zone adjacent to an attacking ship can be brought to bear at any given time; often, the actual number of weapons that can be brought to bear is significantly lower.)

Was that knowledgable site Wookiepedia?

Oh, and as far as I know they corrected that mistake with the exhaust vent with the Death Star II..

Edit: Yeah, I checked Wookieepedia and I was right:

The second Death Star also corrected several other flaws in the original design. The two-meter exhaust vent that doomed the first station was replaced with millions of millimeter wide tubes, each designed to seal if excess energy was detected. The second station also boasted far more turbolaser batteries with redesigned targeting systems, allowing them to target starfighters more easily. The greatest concentration of turbolasers was located near the Emperor's throne tower.

Also, I found out the the DS2 was bigger than the first :-/

Patticus posted the size of the second one. The first one is 120 km in Diameter

Edited by MarcelloF

Was that knowledgable site Wookiepedia?

Not actually, but it may as well have been as the guy probably lifted most of his info from there and the series' official databanks.

Also, I found out the the DS2 was bigger than the first :-/

Patticus posted the size of the second one. The first one is 120 km in Diameter

Yup, the DS2 was larger and much more resilient to attack. Had it not been for the Emperor's fatal miscalculation in allowing the Rebellion to learn of its construction, the finished model would have been nigh-on indestructible to any kind of vehicular assault. Even teams of Jedi Masters penetrating the outer hull at key locations using personal space suits launched from a very long way away would've been hard pressed to make it past the station's huge sensor arrays, legions of soldiers and its two Sith Lords.

*Corrects size error*

Point is, the Death Star is a vast construct; many times larger than the Death Egg or ARK. Its first iteration was vulnerable primarily because of that exhaust port, but that weakness was only available to people with the plans at their disposal and a supernatural force at their beck and call to ensure a solid hit. The Star's second version corrected this flaw and was only able to be destroyed because the Rebels managed to slip inside the superstructure during its construction (and even then it was a close run thing); if we were to pit its completed self against the Egg and Ark it would win outright with ease.

Pretty sure you could deduce it if you knew how big Angel Island and the Lava Reef are, but I don't think either even approaches 120km in diameter. Well... maybe Angel Island does, but even if it does the Death Egg is still many times smaller than that.

I've just got this great image of wave upon wave of TIE Fighters slamming into wave upon wave of Buzz Bombers, and the Emperor in his tower somehow managing to out-cackle Dr. Robotnik.

Great, great image. :lol:

The Death Egg has the innate ability to be destroyed, plummet to the ground, and then rise again to once again cause trouble.

Rinse. Repeat.

I think we know who the winner is. B)

Death Star would definitly win hads down. The Death Egg is made out of material simalar to what can be found in the everyday earth life, Death Star was however made by a very advanced society that had access to Light speed travel and the Thing can destroy an entire planet. I'm pretty sure the blast would slice through the Death Egg like butter and then destroy the planet behind it quite easily. (a versus topic....this is kinda jarring to me XD.)

c3capitolsteps.jpg

"We're buiding a space station, y'know."

clip_image006.jpg

"Really?! Me too!!"

Yeah, and people wonder why everybody's voting "Death Star" on this one. :lol:

Death Egg. It has a moustache.

I agree.

Gotta love the moustache.

Also we are forgetting size doesnt really matter, the death star may be bigger but the death egg could be more mobile.

Im not sure though seeing as i have only ever seen it lift off and crash land, it does both pretty quick though.

Edited by Eternlo

I'm not really sure about this because there are strengths and weaknesses of both stations. The fact that it's a mobile deep space station really does give it a slight advantage over the Death Egg. I'd agree that the material that was used to build the Death Star is a bit more advanced than that of the Death Egg (but with Eggman's technological capabilities they could be equally strong). Both have a fatal design flaw (Exhaust port on the Death Star, blow up a huge Robot on the Death Egg). But the main bit is that both can destroy a planet.

So I really can't decide which one is better in my eye.

The Death Star has a proven track record of planetary destruction; the world it was built above, Despayre, was destroyed by it, as was Alderaan. The Death Egg has destroyed nothing, it's unproven. It's also far smaller than the Death Star, and doesn't as far as we know house any ships other than Robotnik's singular mecha. If neither station had its primary weapon available, the Death Star would win through sheer numbers of ships and personnel it can bring to bear. If their primary weapons were operational, even if the Star was hit first, it's so vast that it would likely still be able to get off a shot - the only one it'd need - and destroy the Death Egg in one go.

In Sonic Battle, it blew up an entire galaxy of stars in one hit.

Just so you all know.

That was a rebuilt Death Egg, a different iteration to the one I thought we were discussing (the Sonic 2 / Sonc 3 & Knuckles one).

There's like 3 of them, not including Space Colony Ark.

There's the original Death Egg from Sonic 2-K

The Death Egg II, from Sonic the Fighters

And the rebuilt Death Egg from Battle.