Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

I don't know what everyone has against the accelerometer.

95% of the iPhone game library? Dual Shock 3? The DS standards of quality are already impossibly low for most of the games because of the lazy use of the gimmicks it already has. I'd rather the follow-up system not be filled with 10 million shitty iPhone ports in addition to the various baby sitting simulators it will get anyways.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

95% of the iPhone game library? Dual Shock 3? The DS standards of quality are already impossibly low for most of the games because of the lazy use of the gimmicks it already has. I'd rather the follow-up system not be filled with 10 million shitty iPhone ports in addition to the various baby sitting simulators it will get anyways.

I don't care about games I'm not going to play. Just because Nintendo is the most shovelware-friendly company out there doesn't mean talented developers will be driven away.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just because Nintendo is the most shovelware-friendly company out there doesn't mean talented developers will be driven away.

How's that been working for the Wii so far? Or the current DS, for that matter? Cing declared bankruptcy last week for crying out loud.

Edited by Tornado

The DS and (to an extent) Wii have plenty of excellent games available, created by talented individuals who were not "driven off" by the shit other devs/pubs like to spew out onto them. If you can't see them, you're really not looking hard enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

A new DS already? D: And it was not too long ago I remember the DSi coming out last year too.

But they must make the new DS stronger than the original

Just look at this!

Picture0044.jpg

My first DS looks like it got hit by a bloody car! And I only really had it in my bookbag when I threw it off some stairs.

Seriously Nintendo slow down....

The DS and (to an extent) Wii have plenty of excellent games available, created by talented individuals who were not "driven off" by the shit other devs/pubs like to spew out onto them. If you can't see them, you're really not looking hard enough.

And? What gets the shelf space?

The DS is alright at the moment because its a unique system that isn't that easy to do lazy ports towards, so the baby sitting simulators aren't quite as common as they are on the Wii. The DS2, on the other hand, is apparently very similar in capabilities/gimmicks with a system absolutely flooded with shitty games.

Edited by Tornado

How's that been working for the Wii so far? Or the current DS, for that matter? Cing declared bankruptcy last week for crying out loud.

Then if they didn't add it, wouldn't the problem be all the same anyway?

The DS2, on the other hand, is apparently very similar in capabilities/gimmicks with a system absolutely flooded with shitty games.

Not saying I believe the rumour (for a second), but say it was true. The DS2 would be GC power + a 2nd touch screen. Any developer who put real effort into a DS game will do the same for DS2. Most developers who didn't put effort into DS games only used 1 screen or didn't use touch well at all.

Also considering it's next gen, it will likely only get a few last gen ports, and of games that are/were popular. Like we could see RE4 on DS2. Holy fuck D:

I think from current gen it's safe to say that people are more careful with handheld development (PSP and DS) than they are with Wii development. The DS2 will probably be no more stuffed with shovelware than the current DS, and the DS' shovelware selection is completely ignorable for the most part.

I think from current gen it's safe to say that people are more careful with handheld development (PSP and DS) than they are with Wii development. The DS2 will probably be no more stuffed with shovelware than the current DS, and the DS' shovelware selection is completely ignorable for the most part.

IPhone_3GS_with_home_screen.jpg

Most of the game apps are shovelware. The DS2 is supposedly going to have similar power and functionality (in addition to being much closer to the Wii itself in the same way). Doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to me.

IPhone_3GS_with_home_screen.jpg

Most of the game apps are shovelware. The DS2 is supposedly going to have similar power and functionality (in addition to being much closer to the Wii itself in the same way). Doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to me.

The iPod is never going to get the same kind of hardcore appeal as a gaming console. Not for a while at least.... the iPod appeals to mainstream audiences, the big games on it don't get many sales. Sure support for it is getting better but comparing it to the successor to a console with an amazing library AND a huge fanbase isn't a very reliable argument.

Edited by Lyra

The iPod is never going to get the same kind of hardcore appeal as a gaming console. Not for a while at least.... the iPod appeals to mainstream audiences, the big games on it don't get many sales. Sure support for it is getting better but comparing it to the successor to a console with an amazing library AND a huge fanbase isn't a very reliable argument.

You're missing the point. The DS Light is largely devoid of shovelware because of economies of sale. Similarly, there is large amounts of shovelware on the iPhone that is largely iPhone only. The DS2, on the other hand, looks like it will be powerful enough (and similar enough gimmicks-wise) to easily port the shovelware from the iPhone and the Wii (the article itself explicitly mentions how easy Wii ports would be). So why wouldn't the system get clogged up with the same shit that makes up so much of the libraries of those two systems if it is so easy to do so?

Edited by Tornado

Heh, I have an iPhone. The only gaming apps I use and enjoy are the Gameboy and MegaDrive emulators ;)

If you want a handheld console you don't buy an iPhone/iPod Touch.

Also Tornado, App games are practically minigames, they could never be sold at full DS game retail price because the majority of them have no depth whatsoever.

You've also got to remember that any popular console will be loaded with shovelware, NES, PS1 & 2, N64, even the MegaDrive had it's fair share.

• Thumbs Up 1

You're missing the point. The DS Light is largely devoid of shovelware because of economies of sale. Similarly, there is large amounts of shovelware on the iPhone that is largely iPhone only. The DS2, on the other hand, looks like it will be powerful enough (and similar enough gimmicks-wise) to easily port the shovelware from the iPhone and the Wii (the article itself explicitly mentions how easy Wii ports would be). So why wouldn't the system get clogged up with the same shit that makes up so much of the libraries of those two systems if it is so easy to do so?

Same reason the PSP isn't completely clogged up with shit iPhone and PS2 ports.

Developers actually care about handheld gaming.

Yes, DS2 will get shovelware and ports, but every system does, especially at the start of its life. Heck. The PSP lived off PS2 ports... and the GBA pretty much lived off ports of awesome SNES games, but not many people complained back then, so why should I complain if the DS2 gets the 10 millionth RE4 port?

The DS2 will get dev-love because the DS gets dev-love.

The DS2 will get Ace Attorney and Pokémon, automatically putting it on par with the 360 and PS3 in terms of library anyway ;)

EDIT: Oh, and before "PS2 didn't have that much shovelware" arises, it did, it was just overshadowed by its otherwise immensely awesome gaming selection (a bit like the DS :3)

Edited by Lyra

to easily port the shovelware from the iPhone and the Wii (the article itself explicitly mentions how easy Wii ports would be). So why wouldn't the system get clogged up with the same shit that makes up so much of the libraries of those two systems if it is so easy to do so?
Easier to make a shitty app game then it is to develop a DS game

Oh no, oh no, I want Gyakuten Saiban 5 to be released on the DS first before having the series move onto another system. I don't think I'll ever be fully able to move on from the DS until that happens!

Easier to make a shitty app game then it is to develop a DS game

Fair enough, but it isn't as if there aren't minigame schlock-fests on the DS as it is.

The DS2 will get dev-love because the DS gets dev-love.

I don't see how that is any less of a complete guess than what I've been saying. The SNES got tons of developer support, but you could count on one hand the third party games each successor system got.

EDIT: Oh, and before "PS2 didn't have that much shovelware" arises, it did, it was just overshadowed by its otherwise immensely awesome gaming selection (a bit like the DS :3)

It also wasn't comprehensively outselling every other third party game on the system.

I never realised that a gaming system was defined by it's shovelware.

It is when the majority of the software/bestselling software is just that.

Edited by Tornado

Fair enough, but it isn't as if there aren't minigame schlock-fests on the DS as it is.

Most of the mini-game fests people pay attention to are actually good.

WarioWare and Layton say hi.

I don't see how that is any less of a complete guess than what I've been saying. The SNES got tons of developer support, but you could count on one hand the third party games each successor system got.

It's a guess because your guess just doesn't make sense given the current state of the handheld industry. Little phone games not included.

It also wasn't comprehensively outselling every other third party game on the system.

Neither is it on DS.

It is when the majority of the software/bestselling software is just that.

This thread has nothing to do with the Wii.

I sold my Ds Lite not so long time ago and have been looking for a used DSi, of course one that's in good as new condition. I still haven't found one so I thought I would get a new DSi XL since I don't care for GBA games that much and I like those big screens. I've been working now and have made quite a good amount of money so buying a DSi XL wouldn't hurt my wallet. Not even if I bought both HeartGold and SoulSilver. xD

I'm down for any new DS system, but I think it's too early to release another new system now since the XL just came out and the older systems are still selling quite well.

Edited by Peter

Most of the mini-game fests people pay attention to are actually good.

WarioWare and Layton say hi.

You are looking for arguments that I'm not actually making.

It's a guess because your guess just doesn't make sense given the current state of the handheld industry. Little phone games not included.

And your guess is a guess because it completely ignores that there is precedent for doing so.

Neither is it on DS.

Never said it was. Was merely pointing out that the tired "PS2 had shovelware too" argument doesn't have much merit.

This thread has nothing to do with the Wii.

Actually it does, but I only really brought it up to challenge the assertion made by Xavious.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

You are looking for arguments that I'm not actually making.

You're saying there's minigame-fests on DS, and while that is true there are also minigame-fests that are actually good, like SuperLink pointed out.

And your guess is a guess because it completely ignores that there is precedent for doing so.

I'm pretty sure there were more than 5 third party developers for N64, GC and Wii lmao.

Never said it was. Was merely pointing out that the tired "PS2 had shovelware too" argument doesn't have much merit.

Except it does because there was alot of shovelware on PS2.

BratzGirlzPS2.jpg

hai

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 1

You're saying there's minigame-fests on DS, and while that is true there are also minigame-fests that are actually good, like SuperLink pointed out.

And?

I'm pretty sure there were more than 5 third party developers for N64, GC and Wii lmao.

Splitting hairs over what was obviously an exaggeration in the first place does not lend much credence to your argument.

Except it does because there was alot of shovelware on PS2.

BratzGirlzPS2.jpg

hai

Reading all of my posts would be good. Gives them context.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 3

And?

You talk about it as if it's a bad thing that minigame compilation games exist.

Splitting hairs over what was obviously an exaggeration in the first place does not lend much credence to your argument.

Neither does deciding that an entire series of consoles has barely any third party support without any evidence to back it up. Decent third party games may not always sell as much as shovelware but they are there.

Reading all of my posts would be good. Gives them context.

I did, you're saying the argument that PS2 had lots of shovelware is tired and has no evidence. You are wrong, have a nice day :)